New Home for our Parker

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andertonm

Reaction score
After being on a waiting list for SIXTEEN YEARS we finally got a slip in the Virginia Beach city marina. Sixteen years... The municipal wheels turn slowly. And that was after frequent inquiries as to our standing on the list. It's a nice facility and the location is primo. Minutes to the Chesapeake Bay and the Atlantic. Life is good.

16 years...holy cow that is 1/2 a working career!!!!

When I start construction on my new house in Williamsburg, VA in a couple of years, I'll put my name on the list for a slip at Little Creek NAB. Will probably get a slip inside 2 years. I can't imagine waiting 16 years.

Dave

aka

Out here on the West Coast, mooring at Catalina, at The Ismisis, I have heard the wait is 20 plus years, depending on the size of your boat, and at Avalon I have heard ( do not know if it is true) moorings sell for $300,000, I have a good anchor :)

There are two 30 foot moorings for sale in avalon harbor right now for 170,000 american dollars each.

It's all about being in the right place at the right time and being on the good side of the marina manager.
I know of more than a couple of marinas with long waiting lists where the next available slip got handed to the guy that was standing there because he was standing there. Maybe they lost the list for a little while.
But maybe that's just a fluke of the left coast.

P

my quaint little new england town is 25-30 year wait. No joke!!! when my buddy was born in 1964 his dad put him on the list. He got his mooring for his 30th birthday. :eek: I still have about 10-12 years to go as I came to town latter. the long waits created some issues awhile back the town next to me had a big scandle on selling the moorings, the racket got busted. I drive by my home harbor to get to my marina in the next town now. Stay healthy, don't die, and keep the boat running good and some day I'll be in my home port.

Mark, Where IS the virginia beach city marina? Lived in for a few years and didn't know they had one. Glad to see you made the list. 8)

Reelhunting

Mark,

Congratulations on getting the call. I'm an economist. Just out of (professional) curiosity, how much is the VA Beach city marina compared to the competitors? My guess is that it is substantially lower so the slips are allocated by waiting list and not by some other method.

Harvard economist, Greg Mankiw, even wrote a blog entry on exactly this situation in Nantucket:

http://gregmankiw.blogspot.com/2009/08/town-pier.html

Have fun in your new slip.

-- Fly Rod

Back