New member - 1801 question

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikerobertson

Reaction score
Hey guys -

I am currently trying to sell my boat, 17 mako center console. I am in the market for a used boat in the 10 - 13k range. I have run across a few 18' parkers in that range and i have some questions.

First off, next to my Mako the Parker is HUGE. It is much more boat. Here is my dilemma. I fish the chesapeake bay, ALOT. I work alot so i can't pick my days and i usually trailer all over the place and go fishing whether or not the wind is blowing. My current setup with handle the bay's 3 footers, but man does it suck. I want my next boat to be a little more comfortable.

I am almost sold on the idea of a CAT. I have ridden in an 18 seacat and boy is it cherry in rough water.

I am looking at CAT's in the 18 - 19 foot range, a grady white 19 tournament, and the parker 1801.

I would love a 21se but it's out of my range. How does everyone feel about the 18 Parker on the bay? What makes it stand out from other boats? I am also looking at used MayCrafts.

Thanks

Mike

Of the boats you mention, the only one I have been on is the 19' Grady (pre Sea-V2). My cat experience is limited to a 20' Seagull Nautico.

I really don't think you'll see a major difference in stepping up only 1 foot from your 17 Mako to the 18 Parker. The 19 Grady was an OK ride, but it would beat you since the helm was so far forward. The cat would sneeze out the front and soak you.

My advice is to save your pennies and get something 20'+ with some beef. A $13K budget could very well get you into a solid older hull with newer power.

I fished the Bay for 3 seasons in an 1801 and was fine. The 1801 will handle 2-3's with no problem, any larger and you want to head in. I've been out in larger seas and never felt unsafe, but the comfort level goes down fast.
Great boat but you will probably want a 21 or larger if you are out a LOT, the 1801 got too small for me.

I have owned a an 1801 for the last 4 years. My experience is that the boat can handle a lot more chop that I can. I have never felt unsafe in my 1801 Parker ---BUT I have been uncomfortable a lot of times. I have been caught out in 20+kt wind and by taking it easy on the throttle returned safely to the dock . Just be prepared to get wet !!! A good rain suit is a must of cooler days.
Having said that, I wish I had a 21 or 23 foot Parker !!! The extra comfort is worth more and more as I approach my 65th birthday !!!

I have fished the 'Bay' since the 1950's in every thing from 12ft to 40ft. I have a 21SC now and love it. If you are looking for something that will give opportunities and mobility in hauling. I would look at between 18 and 25. Over 25ft you are limited in some of the inlet and ocean creeks where you can always find cover from wind and fish. Also under 18ft you have to really pick you days if you want to fish the CBBT and inshore wrecks. I would lean toward 20ft to 23ft as a start.

Hey Guys-

Thanks for all the replies and info.

I haven't really "outgrown" my boat. Thus far i have not had a problem with my 17 footer on the bay, i consider myself a pretty smart captain.

The reason why i want to make a change is that my boat is a classic mako. The hull is an 82. Those old mako's are built right but they sit so low in the water. My boat has no freeboard at all. Also, i absolutely despise that 20" transom. When i am out there in a chop i spend most of my time looking back just waiting for a wave to wash over the stern. I hate it with a passion!! The next boat i own will have at least a 25 inch transom and hopefully a splash well.

I am fine staying in the 18 - 20 foot range. I am young and i have many more boats to buy in my life. Right now i just need something more "beefier" than what i have.

Thanks again, any more info would be appreciated.

-Mike

I had a 17ft mako for 13 years. I would still have it but it got damaged
in Ernesto last year.I bought the 99 18SE in DEC. of 2006. What a difference!! Like night and day. I fish in the Chesapeake out of Crisfield in all kinds of weather and this boat can get me there and back. I liked my
Mako but I love my Parker! Oh and the trimm tabs work! They can make
the ride alot dryer.

Latest posts

Back