New Parker 2320 vs. Used 2520 vs. Eastern 248 or 27?

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

extravagansa

Reaction score
I am torn between getting a new 2320, a used 2520 or an Eastern 248 or 27. My primary ambition is fishing in the Chesapeake bay with my wife and daughters who are 7 and 9 and friends and clients. My wife saw pics of a used Eastern 27 with a navy blue hull that has an enclosed head and nicer interior then the Parker, she also likes the classic downeast lines of the Eastern. I have several friends who own Parker's and the feedback is always good, when I spoke to a local service manager at a local Parker dealer he said that Eastern wasn't even in the same league as Parkers in his opinion. The Eastern dealer of course offered a different opinion telling me that Parkers are far from perfect and he had never had any major problems with an Eastern. All of this has left me thoroughly confused on which direction to go. The Parker Dealership really sold me on the 2320 as the perfect boat. My plan would be to keep the Parker in either Deale or Annapolis for most of the year, but trailer it up to Maine for July and August where we spend most of our summers. The Parker dealer felt the 2520 would be a bit large to trailer on a regular basis, he felt the 2320 was better and didn't require any special permits. The eastern 248 is similar in size to the 2320, ironically the Eastern dealer with this boat told me to buy the Parker based on the deal I have been offered. I am speaking tomorrow with another dealer that has a used Eastern 27 that has 300 HP I/O is definitely more of a family cruiser but could be fishing boat. I don't really like the idea of an inboard because in Maine its inevitable that a prop will get tangled in a lobster trap line and its much easier process to free the prop with an outboard. I am looking for advice from Parker owners if you think the 2320 is a good boat for hybrid family cruising and fishing. I would get it with a second helm, sea spension seats, cockpit bench seat, cockpit cover to try to make more comfortable for my wife. The only aspect of the Parker I can't change is the lack of an enclosed head for my wife and daughters. Any advice would be much appreciated.

I had to look up the Eastern as I'm not familiar with them. They are an attractive design. Also, as you mentioned, you are comparing 2 fairy different animals here. One more of a bay cruiser and one more of an offshore fishing boat. The eastern has the down east hull design with its flatter bottom which is going to ride differently than a Parker 2320 which is a deep V hull design. Deep V for speed in rougher seas and the down east more slow and steady when rough seas keeping the hull in the water vs more on top with the deep V. Deep V requires more HP to operate than the down east. The Eastern appears to have a non opening front windows. In Maine in the summer that probably won't matter much but on the CB in summer I think it may be a little hotter. No inclosed back on the Eastern? I guess it's a matter of preference and how you are using the boat. It's nice to be able to close the back door when it's colder out or if in a rain storm etc... Also just when not in use to keep everything clean and dry. It's also nice to have the open back design when family/friends cruising/fishing as everyone is more together and deck access is a little easier. I think you can order the Parker as an open back too? My 2120 and the 2320 are identical from the cabin door forward so my experience with that part is on par. Because you have to step down into the Parker cabin and the head is in the vbirth, there is a good amount of privacy for the ladies as long as the rest of the crew vacates to the aft deck and closes the cabin door. I think the 2 boats are a draw there. I don't know if you can get the 2320 with a pump out head but that would be nice for your needs. Your idea of putting the rear transum seat on the 2320 is a good one for your needs. Add a couple of nice deck chairs by the bulk head facing rear and you can seat 4 easily in the deck. I attached a pic of my deck set up. If you get the 2320, don't order it with less than the F250 HP.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    110.9 KB · Views: 917
Thanks for the feedback, I actually looked at the 2120 as well. I like that the new 2120 has a built in live well and actually has seating for 5 along the transom with two corner seats and a bench. The dealer also pointed out that from the bulkhead forward its basically the same boat as the 2320. I have read in other posts that the solid transom on the 2320 is a huge advantage if the boat is going to be taken offshore. If I keep the boat on the Chesapeake going offshore won't really be an option, however in Maine there are offshore options for tuna fishing and a number of islands in the Gulf of Maine/Atlantic. I am concerned those options would be possible on the 2320 and not with 2120. Any insight on this would be appreciated. My perception was that the 2320 has considerably more space in the cockpit and would be more a little more comfortable then the 2120. The 2120 would be much easier to trailer and transport and the cost is less then the 2320. The dealer was really pushing the 2320, he says that is Parker's number one seller now and he felt that was right boat of our needs. Curious if you would agree with that? Is the 2120 a deep vee hull or a mod vee? Assume its the same? Is a 175 hp motor enough for the 2120 and a 225 enough for the 2320?

The 2120 and the 2320 are both deep V hulls with a 21 degree dead rise at the transum. I think the 2120 ride is good and love the boat, from what I have read so is the 2320 equally. I have the older style rear deck without the bait well and closed in transum. To my knowledge, you can't get a bench seat on the new style 2120 due to the bait well in the center of the transum. I personally don't like the new style 2120 because the new design eats up so much deck space. If you were on mine you would see it makes a big difference. I do like the new 2120 helm/dash though. I purchased the 2120 due to financial reasons and because of what I use to tow it the short distance to the boat ramp with, I needed the lighter weight. If I was ordering a new one, and could afford the 2320, that is what I would get. Again, the 2320 always had more rear deck space than the 2120 but since the new design of the 2120's deck, the 2320 has way more useable deck space plus the ability to add that nice transum bench seat. As for the engines, get at least a 200 for the 2120 and at least a 250 for the 2320 if ordering new and have that opportunity. For that matter, I would put the 300 on the 2320 if I was ordering one new. The 225, 250 and 300 are all the same base engine and weigh basically the same. I personally don't like underpowered boats. If you can afford it, and Parker ends up being your choice, get the 2320. Good luck with your shopping!

I ran a 2120 hard for 8 seasons before bumping up to the 2520. IMHO when they added that livewell they took away ALOT of deckspace which doesn't give you much room. I could really only fish 3 comfortable on the 2120 but would usually prefer just 2 ). That being said I think from what you have explained you would be much happier with the 2320. In the long run you will actually save money because I know after one or two seasons you would be looking to bump up to a 23 or 25 lol.

I have a 2011 2320 with 225hp I looked very hard at a 2520 the $20k plus is not worth it for all you gain. My 2320 is 10' from cabin door to transom it is 8' wide inside. The 225hp is a good engine for the 2320 good fuel economy plus speed 250hp I think would be a little better for offshore. The 2320 is a step down cabin close the door and you have privacy to use potti I use my boat on Lake Erie so I know rough water. I never rode in a Eastern so I can't comment.

I have a 2013 2320 with the F225. I'm perfectly happy with the performance and upgraded my electronics with the savings and put some in my pocket to boot. It cruises comfortably at 30mph turning 4200 rpm with 2.9 - 3.1 mpg depending on sea state. I got the fold down rear bench seat which is nice for company and doesn't take up too much room when folded down. I opted for a dealer installed 30 gal bait tank which I can remove when not in use. I will say the admiral would have preferred an enclosed head, but she will tell you it's better than a bucket. If I had to do it again, I'd opt for another captain's chair versus the bench in the cabin if available. Nobody really likes to ride on the bench having to twist to look out the front. It is not a comfortable arrangement. I'm happy with the overall performance but it does pound in a short chop, anything that size will. We both love the cabin and the cover it provides.

Very helpful advice. if you opt for the second captain chair does that allow for a seat behind it or would the kids have sit below the bow if they wanted stay inside? I was thinking the bench would work because my wife could sit with our girls, but you definitely raise a good point. Sounds like the F225 is more then adequate power. I might do one or two trips into the gulf of maine for tuna, but I would say 90 percent bay usage vs offshore. Is there a pilot house boat similar to parker in utility and quality that has an enclosed head in a boat under 25 feet or does that not exist? I have my heart set on a parker, but want to look at all options.

My crew loves the bench seat. If just 1 they lean against the rear bulkhead and kick their feet up across the bench. When hanging out at the dock or wherever, I do the same. Plus, when I have 3, 4 5 or more it give needed seating. If we are pounding offshore they ride in the bean bags on the rear deck or sit in the deck chairs. I didnt know it was even an option to delete the bench on the 2120 or 2320??

I don't know if it's an option but I would look into it. I thought the bench was a good idea until using it for some time. Sitting like that with back to the bulkhead isn't comfortable for the admiral. Not saying you won't like it just relaying my opinion. I would probably miss the storage under it though.

I see your points Mark. The storage is nice and much needed.

By way Mark. First nice weekend that the weather is right, I'm heading offshore if you still want to try to buddy up? I'll PM you when I see the opertunity.

I'm set on go. Seems the fan turns on every weekend though. I'm game and the Kings should be showing up in force soon. Want to get over to the east side of the shoals if not offshore. You know how to contact me.

MarkA":kn2aozpb said:
I'm set on go. Seems the fan turns on every weekend though. I'm game and the Kings should be showing up in force soon. Want to get over to the east side of the shoals if not offshore. You know how to contact me.

I hear you about the darn wind. Crossing my fingers for a good fall weekend. The bait should be coming in close about now and even near shore should be good. Be in touch

I am the owner of a 2520 with a Mod V hull and I really love the boat. It is the largest Parker boat that can be comfortably be pushed at a reasonable speed with a single outboard. I am a recent retiree and reside in NC. I now fish the Atlantic out of Morehead City, but I lived in Maryland and fished the Chesapeake extensively before I retired.

The 2520 is a great boat but it is not the most trailerable boat out there. Many states limit the beam to 8 1/2 ft. without getting a special permit. The 2520 beam is a foot longer than that. Thankfully, NC allows the additional foot to be towed without penalty. My boat gets trailed from my home to it's seasonal home at Harker's Island and back annually. That's a grand total of under twenty miles!

My fishing partner has a newer 2310 (deep V) that is much more trailerable and sacrifices only a little fishing space. The ride is very similar to my 2520. The 2320 version of that boat has the same hull and should ride the same. That is the boat that I would recommend to anyone who has to trail their boat on a regular basis.

I've had my 2320DVSC since September of 2002.

As far as being trailer able, it is excellent. This boat has been from San Diego to Morro Bay in CA, Bahia de Los Angeles and Punta Chivato in Baja, back to the mothership in Beaufort for three years out of Straits, and now back to California.

The 225 is fine, but there is no substitute for more power.....29-31 mph at 15-16 GPH today in 1-3' of mixed wind swell on top of a 18-20 second 4-6' swell. Just a little tab. Left them biting.

Note that there were a couple of manufacturers finishing Easterns a up to around 2003. Bill Judge of Judge Yachts was building and finishing Easterns here in Maryland in addition to the ones built in New Hampshire at the main plant before he had his own molds made and became Judge Yachts.

Depending on how much of a hurry you are in, I am liking going to list my father's 2001 27 Eastern finished by Judge Yachts in the coming months. He is looking to downsize for retirement to something around 21' with a 4 cylinder 4 stroke outboard for more back bay fishing. Currently the boat is run mostly offshore wreck fishing off of South Jersey. It has twin 130 Honda, enclosed head, bench seat to port, Windlass, second steering station, Raymarine C80 package with radar & Lowrance Elite 7. I should have at my home in Annapolis once he is done using for the season to sea trial in the Chesapeake Bay. It is a heavier boat but 8'6" beam by 26'4" hull.

582483d1445438907-post-your-pilothouse-pics-dad.jpg

attachment.php

attachment.php

413202d1397305000-thresher-shark-fishing-help-thresh2.jpg

435457d1404221828-2014-season-fishing-reports-post-em-here-image.jpg

One comment...... Buy the 2320!!

I have been on many boats fishing between Montauk and Block Island, and my new 2320 is a beast.
Handles like a much larger boat and is very good in a following sea.

Earlier this season I had 7 adults on board and she did 39mph, with a 225 hp Yamaha.

My opinion the 2320 would be great for the Chesapeake.

Good luck.

I have a newer 2320 with a 300 Yam. 30 gallon live well which I can put a cushion on when not fishing. I have a fold down rear seat and two deck chairs which I add when taking a little cruise. Also have a padded crows nest which is fun for cruising. I have reached speeds above fifty with a full tank, another person, full live well, and flat waters. I have had no problems in 1-3 foot seas out 40 miles.

But my Parker is a fishing boat. When I decided on my Parker, I made the decision selfishly for myself. My wife would have preferred a cruiser, but for the three or for times a year she would have been on it, I got the boat I wanted. But then again, I had my kids through college, and had made all those sacrifices that come with raising a family.

I think that, unless your 7 and 9 year old kids, and for that matter your wife, are hardcore fishermen, you aren't headed in the right direction. Either get a cruising boat, or a fishing boat. The notion that your family, who wants creature comforts, is going to have fun in a Parker 2320 on a six hour fishing trip, I believe is wishful thinking. It sounds to me that you want to fish. In my opinion, it's tough to get a boat, at your stage, that satisfies both your need to fish and your desire to satisfy the family. Same thing as trying to play golf with all of them...no fun for anybody.

No disrespect intended..just rendering an opinion..

Good luck.

Back