New to Parker, question about loud engine noise

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wejohns

Reaction score
After admiring Parker boats for years I finally bought one a few months back. The boat is the 2520XL with the full bracket model and be used almost exclusively as a private dive boat. When I purchased the boat it was equipped with a 2004 Yamaha 225 FS. I used it for a bit but have changed to a 2014 250hp Etec. I noticed when I had the Yamaha on the boat the engine noise far louder than I thought a 4S should be making. The 250 came off my 1995 pro-line bracket mounted and several of my dive buddies made comments about how much louder the Yami was than the etec. However now that I have made the switch I have found it was not the Yamaha causing the loud noise as the etec is equally if not more loud than the Yamaha. What is it about the configuration of the Parker that causes it to be so loud? Is there anything I can do to lessen the sound level of the outboard?

In the cockpit, cabin or both? straightline or turning?

At all rpms or specific range?

maybe the Yam had dry exhaust corrosion in the mid section with holes causing it. idk or about ETEC

Is OB mounted tight? and the bracket?

Pull the bracket pie plate is it dry or wet?

How long is OB shaft?

Which hole is the OB mounted? #1 hole is the top closest to sky

My 02 Yam F225 is quiet to us all over the boat. Neighnbors have 2 stroke and loud all of time

maybe try an app
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/spl-met ... 06756?mt=8

didnt check Play for Android one

or buy am inexpensive one from EBay or Amazon

and measure at various distances

It is loud all over the boat, cock pit, wheelhouse, cabin. I was shocked when I first ran it with the Yamaha. The engine had just recently had the exhaust repair done. Even when just idling in neutral it was loud. Now I definitely prefer the performance of the 2 stroke engines but that does not keep me from saying I know the Yamaha at idle with the engine mounted on a full bracket behind a full transom should not even be heard at all. That was not the case. At full throttle there was no normal voice talking in the wheelhouse. It is worse with the etec.

I can be in the wheelhouse and someone hit the bracket with their hand and the sounds just reverberates all through the hull. I have checked all the mounting and both engine and bracket and it is all secure. The engine mount cavity part of the bracket is dry. Is there suppose to be some type of damper between the bracket and boat?

I've fished off a 2520XL with a 225 Yamaha and never thought it was loud, tho it does 'sing' a bit at cruise speeds.
I have an old school OX66 on my 2520 I don't find her to be objectionable either.

I will say I ran a pair of identical welded aluminum center console boats with a 3-sided wheelhouse.
One boat had a 250 Suzuki on it, the other had a 250 E-Tec and the Suzuki was noticeably louder than the E-Tec, especially at cruise.
My impression was that most of the Suzuki's noise was due to the air inlet, but it was definitely the louder of the two.

I talked with a service manager today with a former Parker dealer in the lower part of Fl. He told me they ran into a similar issue about 15 years ago with a 23'. The problem ended up being the boat had no foam floatation in the hull. Said Parker quickly fixed the problem (new boat exchange). I would really like for that to be the issue with mine and I could just pour some close cell foam in the hull.

The guy was not trashing Parker at all, actually raved about the boats and the seaworthiness of the boat. He said that was the only Parker boat they ever had an issue with. They quit carrying the Parkers because in their location people wanted a more "finished boat."

I was trying to resist responding to this thread but I can't.

The only thing on a bracketed boat/full transom that affects perceived db level is the height of the motor. The lower the motor on the bracket the more quiet it will sound. Mounted higher, it sounds louder because less sound is absorbed and reflected away by the transom.

That said, with all other things being equal, a PH will seem louder (especially with the door open and front windows shut) than a CC because engine noise will reflect reward off the house and front windows whereas on the CC engine noise has very little surface area via the center console (relatively speaking) to reflect backwards upon the occupants. Opening the PH front windows will lessen the perceived noise. Try it out next time, you'll hear a difference.

With an outboard motor there is just not enough contact between the motor and the hull for foam or lack thereof to abate engine noise.

FWIW with regard to deck design there is a difference between a PH and CC with regard loudness of water hitting the hull while underway. The PH with the step down is quite a bit louder unless you put some sound attenuating mats on the deck in the house.

Dove today with a guy who owns the same boat but with a 250yami FS. He said my boat is louder than his at idle but said his is just as loud at cruise and WOT. So I guess it is something about the design. Years ago I had a Kencraft Buxton, same style boat, of course everything was 2stroke carbs then so loud must have been what we were use to. Just surprised after diving on Cats with cuddys or CC boats with FS or DI injection 2S technology how much louder this hull is.

Back