Nicked prop and skeg questions

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slipstream

Reaction score
Met up with a rock at low tide. Stock Prop on the '07 Yamaha 200 4s is nicked up a bit, but looks repairable. (that said, I don't have any experience in these things). Where to get it fixed? If it's worth it? Is it easy to change out a prop on the water? And are special tools required?

The skeg has a 1-1/2 chunk out of it, about 1/2 way up the skeg. Kind of looks like a small triangle shape broke off. The skeg itself looks pretty straight.

I was planning to get a new prop anyway and use my OE one as a back up. If repairable, I'll go with that plan. What's the best recommendation on prop replacement for the 200 4S on a 23se? Or at least point me on the right direction of someone to speak with.

And re the skeg. I think the best solution is to get a metal shop to fix it. My question is how will the current form impact performance? I'm just trying to get a sense for how quickly I need to address this.

Some days...

Please share your wisdom.

The skeg can wait until you are ready to repair... it isn't something that needs to be done right away.
The work can be done by any reputable welder who specializes in aluminum.

As for the prop... if you have a prop shop local to you, it too can be reconditioned.
Not a big deal... and it can be removed with simple hand tools.
Needle nose pliers, chisel blade screwdriver, a big adjustable wrench, and a block of wood (to keep the prop from turning).

As far as the skeg goes, go to Google and search Skeggard and if your skeg is not in too bad then you will be able to just install a guard. If it should happen again then all you have to do is replace the guard or bolts. I put one on all my engines because if you hit something solid like a rock all you lose usually is the bolts that hold it on. As far as the prop goes take it to your local prop shop and have it repaired.

Good tip on the skeggard. Seems like an easy and smart solution.

Back