Nonskid wax?

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Freespool

Reaction score
Hello all,
I finally got around to waxing the hull of my new (to me) 6 year old 2530. The hull now has a beautiful beige tint to it. There is a stark contrast to the top side non-skid areas. What can I use to restore the faded color in the nonskid gelcoat? I obviously do not want to wax it. It's slippery enough already. Any suggestions?

Have read about and have used this method before for molded-in gelcoat non-skid ...

1) Clean w/ oxalic acid cleaner. TIP - buy some Bar Keeper's Friend, see: http://www.barkeepersfriend.com

2) Wax it. Many use Woody Wax, just don't use too much ...

3) Regardless of wax used, 'strip' some of the slipperiness off by hitting the areas w/ a pressure washer

1) Clean w/ Bar Keeper's Friend (oxalic acid cleaner), AWESOME stuff for boat cleaning!

2) Wax. Some use Woody Wax, but too much still makes it slippery.

3) Knock off some "slipperiness" by hitting the non-skid off w/ a pressure washer.

. . . ..I had read a post on here about Fluid Film being the same . ...or very similar to Woody Wax. . ...so I figured I would give it a try. Would be easy enough to remove if I didn't care for it. I cleaned the non-skid and applied the Fluid Film the same as you would the Woody Wax. . . . ...using very little! . ....then removed/toweled when dried. So far I am pleased with the results. It's not slippery and dirt/blood rinse right off with the hose. It's lasted for several weeks too. .. . .. .......... . ....just an FYI for a cheaper alternative to Woody Wax.

I think I've used it all in cleaning and waxing the topsides.
I've used Woodys, I've washed with Orpine, Zep Orange, and bleach...

But two years ago I took the advice of a local detailer and hit the topsides (including the non-skid) with my Makita 9227, a wool pad, and cleaner wax.
I don't use it in the cockpit, but I do use it on the pilothouse top, the forward decks, around the trunk cabin, as well as the washboards and transom.

I'm now a believer.

Been using Woody Wax for several years. After awhile you find out the right amount to spray and rub in.

Is easier if do non-skid and roof first and wax the hull after as rinsing it causes temporary streaks in the hull.

FYI, in the past year tried on colored hull to see if Woody Wax would hold shine better than wax, it did not. Went back over it within a day or two, back to Collinite.

Can use wax or Woody Wax on railings too.

Megabyte":7q60437u said:
But two years ago I took the advice of a local detailer and hit the topsides (including the non-skid) with my Makita 9227, a wool pad, and cleaner wax.

I'm now a believer.
Any brand "cleaner wax" :?: ? Just some typical combo one like a 3M product :?: ?

DaleH":11on6xkk said:
Any brand "cleaner wax" :?: ? Just some typical combo one like a 3M product :?: ?

I think any brand (like the 3M product) would be fine, but I just happened to use Meguiers.
The first time you do it, you'll get a lot of chalk, but every year after that first time, the results will be stunning.

I don't do it on the cockpit floor, but I do wax everywhere else.
I was skeptical at first, but since I've been doing it for the past couple years, I'm a now a believer.

I just started using Starbright non skid cleaner with PTEF. I have been really happy with it. It leaves the non skid with a very slight tackiness so it's not slippery. However, it still leaves a protective coating that keeps fish blood etc. from setting in and everything washes off very easily.

I also read somewhere that the Attwood products at Wallmart are made by Starbright and are the same product. I'm not sure, but I have been very happy with the attwood cleaner wax, but haven't bought their non skid cleaner yet.

Good luck.

Back