Not peeing

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

markman03

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,
When I use the flush my motor will pee a half stream but when in a tub of water nothing happens. The pump is new last year and the T stats look good. Does it sound like a poppet valve? It is a little tucked away but it doesn't look to bad. My memorial day with be spent mowing the yard.

valve is sort of a water-pressure regulator for the cooling system on an outboard engine. At slow rpm's the pressure from the water pump is pretty low, so the poppit stays closed, and allows all the cooling water from the impeller to circulate thru the engine cooling system. At high rpm, the water pump volume & pressure is much higher. The poppit opens at a pre-determined pressure and allows the "excess" water to bypass the cooling system.

As far as what happens when they need replacing? They get fouled with dirt and/or stick closed, causing the engine to overheat at low rpm's because the engine isn't getting enough cooling water.

Maybe someone else can do a better job of explaining.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

M2cw replace thermostats - one issue solved . I replaced them same time as water pump

Pull popet valve and inspect for dirt . They last for years but can fail. I expect you apply water from.hose and see it works. Mine was 16 years old and just replaced it

I think the issue is the water pump. To me replacing the water pump is installing a full water pump kit. Others will disagree and replace the impeller only but to me the parts are just as important m2cw

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

The lower unit was replaced last year so I kind of ruled the pump out. Not to say that it couldn’t be bad. I am going to run to the shop tomorrow and have a conversation with the guy I bought the lower unit from. May grab a kit to be safe.

Well I cleaned the drain nipple, blew air through the line, changed the t stats, and removed the lower unit and inspected the impeller. Found out that square muffs don't work well but round ones do. Problem originally was noticed when the boat was being launched. The motor is now peeing with muffs. Hopefully pee's when I put it on the slip in the morning.

Back