Not sure what 2520 we have

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eric_1

Reaction score
We purchased a 2520 open back a couple months ago. Not sure if it is a deep vee or modified vee. How can I tell? Thanks in advance

Attachments

• 2779A447-0322-4203-A7AD-C1F5E893FE57.jpeg
    2779A447-0322-4203-A7AD-C1F5E893FE57.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 62
  • BFC0DE25-9C5E-4F8D-B356-BD1926C8759F.jpeg
    BFC0DE25-9C5E-4F8D-B356-BD1926C8759F.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 59
We purchased a 2520 open back a couple months ago. Not sure if it is a deep vee or modified vee. How can I tell? Thanks in advance
Hi Eric, the easy way to determine if you have the Deep-V or the Modified-V on a Parker is to look at the hull near the bow. The Deep-V has two (2) lifting strakes below the waterline. The Modified-V has 1 (one)... Looking at your photos, I am relatively sure you have the Modified-V hull.... Also, there is a formula you can use to actually measure the deadrise degree, by using a speed-square or a large protractor; it's not hard to do, but it's likely not necessary. The actual deadrise can/will? vary along the length of a hull. And, although the most 'common' deadrise location measurement it at the stern, it is often indicative to how sharp/steep the entry also is at the bow.
1649607355535.png

Last edited:
Thanks guys. It only has one strake below the water line. Definitely a modified vee hull. Why did Parker make both and what are the plus’s and minuses between the two?

Thanks guys. It only has one strake below the water line. Definitely a modified vee hull. Why did Parker make both and what are the plus’s and minuses between the two?
A Deep-V cuts/slices through rough water better than a Modified-V, and with less pounding. But, a Modified-V can plane easier, with less power. Some say a Modified-V is more stable at rest. Probably so, but the Parker 2520 Deep-V is amazingly stable at rest, and/or when drifting... It's a buyer preference, and is often based on where you do most of your boating. If you mostly run in protected, calmer waters then the Mod-V might suit your purposes (But, keep in mind, there are a lot of Classic Parker folks who take their Mod-V's off shore (they pick their days, and run accordingly)... Also, there is slightly less draft with a Mod-V, but we're talking only a couple inches.

Deep V is going to give you the best ride into a head sea. Takes more power/fuel to push it and it will tend to roll more on the drift.

Mod V will pound more into a head sea but requires less power which may translate into better fuel economy. Mod V is very stable on the drift.

Pluses and minuses to both depending on what you plan on doing with the boat but I’d say overall the deep V is probably favored and will sell faster on the used market.

I have owned the same 2520 Mod V since 2006. I am on my second engine and have run the boat in all kinds of conditions almost exclusively in the open ocean April-November in the Northeast, at times over 50 miles offshore. I am happy with my boat but I do think overall the deep V is the #1 choice.

Deep V is going to give you the best ride into a head sea. Takes more power/fuel to push it and it will tend to roll more on the drift.

Mod V will pound more into a head sea but requires less power which may translate into better fuel economy. Mod V is very stable on the drift.

Pluses and minuses to both depending on what you plan on doing with the boat but I’d say overall the deep V is probably favored and will sell faster on the used market.

I have owned the same 2520 Mod V since 2006. I am on my second engine and have run the boat in all kinds of conditions almost exclusively in the open ocean April-November in the Northeast, at times over 50 miles offshore. I am happy with my boat but I do think overall the deep V is the #1 choice.
Thanks, sounds like a deep V would probably suit us better out here on the Northern California coast. With that said we look forward to fishing out this one once we get her put back together.

Back