November on Barnegat Bay

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Themis

Reaction score
Here are a few shots from my last run of the season before she got hauled out.... Hope you enjoy them.

Attachments

• barnegatbay.jpg
    barnegatbay.jpg
    148.6 KB · Views: 2,177
  • mantalokingbridge.jpg
    mantalokingbridge.jpg
    137.5 KB · Views: 2,177
  • b&m1.jpg
    b&m1.jpg
    154 KB · Views: 2,177
  • b&m2.jpg
    b&m2.jpg
    154 KB · Views: 2,177
  • james.jpg
    james.jpg
    178.5 KB · Views: 2,177
  • blocks2.jpg
    blocks2.jpg
    182.4 KB · Views: 2,177
Great pictures.

Sorry to hear you are hauling just in time for the season to start. After all the cold weather is best reason to boat with a pilot house :wink:

Sad to see her on land, but those are some great photos of the day! :wink:

052520":3bmigw77 said:
no boat stands ?
Yeah, I thought that too :shock: !

Now, while you really don't "need" boat stands or Brownell stands per se ... if I were you, I'd replace any cinder blocks with 8"x8" x 2' to 3' sections of railroad ties or heavy treated construction timbers. I myself would also add at least one stack per side 1/3rd of the way up the stern and probably another stack under the keel.

In my lifetime of being in boatyards, I have seen far too many cinder blocks freeze and crack apart over the course of a winter ... leaving some nice boats on the hard :( .

I'll look into that, Dale. The yard manager that hauled me out was highly confident in this blocking; I'd asked if it was robust enough to stand up to Nor'easters and high winds.

ParkerSal":2xb74lm6 said:
The yard manager that hauled me out was highly confident in this blocking...
I don't have as much of a problem with the 3-point blocking as I do with the choice of what looks to be cinder blocks :shock: !

Tell you what ... ask him to place a rider on HIS insurance company to cover your boat in the event that something happens "as is" ...

Cinder blocks can crack from freezing water and pressure applied to them. When that happens, stuff starts rolling onto the ground. BTW, do you know how sharp a broken block can get and how big a gouge they can put in gelcoat?

I'll look into this. I can say that in the three years I have been boating, and have had my boat at the marina, every boat there (smaller and larger than mine) has been blocked with cinderblocks. I guess I'll research the boat stands....

ParkerSal":e64gqrzf said:
... in the three years I have been boating, and have had my boat at the marina, every boat there has been blocked with cinderblocks.
All it takes is one to break ...

Not to beat the point to death but I probably cannot even count on 2 hands the number of boats I've seen damaged due to cinder blocks breaking in winter in 40+ years of boating. Maybe, my NE winters are colder, with more freezing rain, but ...

"Friends don't let friends block with cinder blocks ..."

Just consider another material ... it doesn't have to be Brownell stands this year. I readily admit my bias.

Is it easy to implement the stands once the blocks are already supporting the boat? The ground fyi is small white pebbles.

ParkerSal":ebc2jyjz said:
Is it easy to implement the stands once the blocks are already supporting the boat? The ground fyi is small white pebbles.

Use some pressure treated plywood as a base for the stands. That will keep them from settling through the pebbles.
This will explain: http://www.shipstore.com/SS/HTML/BBS/BBSSTANDS.html

The stands themselves have a screw jack incorporated into the head, so the stands can be placed, then snugged up against the hull giving additional support.

The weight of the boat is borne by the keel. The stands just give it stability.
BTW - Don't forget to safty chain the stands. :wink:

Back