Offshore Parkers

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigk23surf

Reaction score
Does anyone run there Parkers offshore? I'm talking 60-70 miles out. I love my 2320 but I think I am pushing its limits going that far. I have been caught a couple times 40 plus miles out and the wind kicked up and the ride home was not fun. I am thinking of moving up to a 2520DV but don't want to go up to the 2820. I want something that I can reach the canyons of Delmarva with and not have to worry about getting beat up on the way out or back and really want to stick with a Parker.

I limit my 2320 to the Hambone/Hot Dog area out there without any trouble and yes have been caught also but thats going to happen from time to time. Amazed at how much this boat will handle. Guaranteed it will make out fine to the canyons on good days but its just a little to far out for me mainly for comfort. In a small boat no matter how "big" it handles that is a long sometimes exhausting ride in my book.

captainhix":3bhxmtsw said:
I limit my 2320 to the Hambone/Hot Dog area out there without any trouble and yes have been caught also but thats going to happen from time to time. Amazed at how much this boat will handle. Guaranteed it will make out fine to the canyons on good days but its just a little to far out for me mainly for comfort. In a small boat no matter how "big" it handles that is a long sometimes exhausting ride in my book.

That is exactly how I feel. Went to the Hambone earlier this week and did the Hot Dog a couple times last year. I am thinking about going to the Poor Man's Sunday. I am just worried that if I go up to a 2520 I am still not going to feel comfortable going to the canyons. I added a Seaspension this winter after getting beat up on a trip back from the Hot Dog and it helps. I wonder if the ride will be noticeably different in the 2520?

I run inshore BFT on my 2120, but have been out as far as 70 miles. If I had a 25 with twin engines I would pick my day and go to the canyons without a doubt.

We run our 2530 out to the Baltimore canyon fairly regularly when I'm home and have the time to fish. Completely comfortable with it. We would have no issues going further, but with the engines we have (twin 2-stroke 150s) she's just a bit too thirsty to tackle anything more than an 80-mile trip. So, until it comes time for a repower, that's the limiting factor for our range. We of course have all the necessary safety equipment, EPIRB, liferaft, ditch bag, and considering adding a SART. You do run the risk of taking a bit of a beating, but that's simply part of the game.

I go offshore several times a year. I pick my days. As long as you're not in a hurry to get back home, the ride is fine.

Before gas went up, I routinely fished 100-120 miles one way out in the Gulf of Mexico. Sometimes solo. Have wx radar and all the safety and communications equipment and it is no big deal IMO.....just a matter of comfort (just pick your days).

Actually, I shot a fishing show recently on mango fishing that aired today in this region. I don't know if you guys get it up north, but the show is called "Reel Animals." We were out 40 miles in a whitecapping and building 2-3 occasional bigger swell. You can see a the subject boat which is a 30ish Yellowfin and my boat (2320) anchored next to each other. Watch the episode and you can draw your own conclusions as to which platform you think is more stable in those conditions.

What conditions do you guys with the 25ft boats feel comfortable going out in? Is 3-4 with 6-8 second period to much? What do you cruise at? I would love to be able to cruise at 26-27 knots, I cruise at 23 knots on my 2320 now in flat seas.

bigk23surf":2thnx616 said:
I would love to be able to cruise at 26-27 knots, I cruise at 23 knots on my 2320 now in flat seas.
Sorry, but you're going to need a deep-V 600hp or better 32' CC to even attempt those cruising speeds in those seas.

Most economical cruise speed for 25' Parkers is around 27-28 MPH, not knots, and in reasonably calm sea states to boot! With the cabin so far forward, your felt ride will suffer some, even though the boat can clearly handle it.

bigk23surf":xr0yzllh said:
What conditions do you guys with the 25ft boats feel comfortable going out in? Is 3-4 with 6-8 second period to much? What do you cruise at? I would love to be able to cruise at 26-27 knots, I cruise at 23 knots on my 2320 now in flat seas.

IMO there are no seas that a 25DV Parker can handle better than a 23DV Parker with regard to their seakeeping abilities. The 25 with the wider beam and weight will offer slightly more comfort in the ride, and it does have bit more room for passengers and gear. Both are all-weather boats. The 28DV on the other hand is a beast and can handle anything. See my recent post about a 28 Parker that recently rescued the crew of a 28 cat hulled boat 75 miles out that sank in the precursor of tropical storm Debby.

If a 21 degree hull is what you're after with a PH then the 28DV would be the upgrade that would yield the results I think you are after.

FWIW here is a video of a 2006 2320 doing 20mph in a sloppy 3-4 occasional 5 head sea. The boat is customized and balanced to run in rough seas. The sea conditions were well documented that day. There were many SKA style CCs with triple engines trying to run 30-35. The SKA crews were all wearing heavy foul wx gear and were cold and drenched. We all got to the same destination within 25 minutes of each other. YMMV

http://youtu.be/vrYlxUeJshc

grouperjim":38ppzry1 said:
bigk23surf":38ppzry1 said:

IMO there are no seas that a 25DV Parker can handle better than a 23DV Parker with regard to their seakeeping abilities. The 25 with the wider beam and weight will offer slightly more comfort in the ride, and it does have bit more room for passengers and gear. Both are all-weather boats. The 28DV on the other hand is a beast and can handle anything. See my recent post about a 28 Parker that recently rescued the crew of a 28 cat hulled boat 75 miles out that sank in the precursor of tropical storm Debby.

If a 21 degree hull is what you're after with a PH then the 28DV would be the upgrade that would yield the results I think you are after.

FWIW here is a video of a 2006 2320 doing 20mph in a sloppy 3-4 occasional 5 head sea. The boat is customized and balanced to run in rough seas. The sea conditions were well documented that day. There were many SKA style CCs with triple engines trying to run 30-35. The SKA crews were all wearing heavy foul wx gear and were cold and drenched. We all got to the same destination within 25 minutes of each other. YMMV

http://youtu.be/vrYlxUeJshc

I was thinking there might not be that much of a difference from the 2320 to the 2520; I might wait until I can swing a 2820. Ever seen someone trailer one regularly? I would get a F250/2500 for it but thinking I'm pushing my luck pulling a boat that big around.

Back