Offshore Requirements - What's Really Needed?

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rangerdog

Reaction score
Given today's state of modern communications, new motors, etc., are twins really a requirement for offshore? Talking generally the south east 10 to 30 miles max to offshore artificial reefs with. As y'all may know I am trying to gear up for my retirement to Charleston next year and while I will enjoy the inshore fishing there I really want to venture offshore when conditions are favorable. For replacing my 2320, which is a hard decion in itself, I am pretty sure I am looking at the 25 CC or maybe a 28CC.

John

I personally would run a deep-V twin motor boat if venturing offshore all the time. 2 motors cruising along easily can even give better efficiency than 1 motor all wound up, plus you have the security of at least keeping the bow into the waves while making a slow way home.

I don't care for CCs, specially offshore ... too windy, too cold, too wet ...

One can always go OUT in anything ... but at the end of the day you sure gotta get back IN!

10-30 miles our ? 23 DVCC will be OK if you pick your days.

The 25 Parkers are overwide, and only 21 degree hulls.

Buying new and wanting more than a 23 DVCC, I would look at Regulator (24 degree Cadillac ride)
or the 27' Onslow Bay (24 degree hull). These boats have really made a name for themselves
and at a reasonable price (around $100,000 with Suzukis)

http://www.onslowbay.net/virtual-tour-hosted

I guess I'm the odd one out.
I believe that a well maintained single motor is fine, even for 30 miles offshore.

As one already on a retirement income, I can appreciate the maintenance and upkeep of a well maintained single. :wink:

Something else to consider...
An EPIRB (or in my case, a Personal EPIRB) is a good investment.
If you happen to have radio or cell issues when things go wrong, the EPIRB can be your lifeline.

This is the one I own. It is registered to ME rather than the boat, so if I go out on any other vessel, I take it with me.
http://www.boemarine.com/acr-aqualink-p ... or-beacon/

Kicker:....Slow boat to china, but will keep the boat headed in the correct direction and that's about it. Had one when we bought the boat. I couldn't get it off the boat fast enough.

Don't forget, twin engines double your chances of a catastrophic failure.
I've spent a lot of years going offshore up to 60+ miles in small 18-25 ft. boats only one of which was a twin engine rig. I'd want a well maintained single engine, EPIRB, two radios, two GPS units, a stowable 4-6 man life raft, and a subscription to the top SeaTow offshore plan.

I fish for bluefins which requires me to make a run anywhere from 30-60 miles off. I am usually in the 40-50 range and last season I pushed my limit to 70. I run a 07 2120 with a F 150 strapped on the back. My boat and engine is well maintained and I do have a plb and my buddy usually brings his 3 man raft. If I had a 25 with twins I would be in the canyons here which are 70-90 miles. Just make sure of the weather before you venture off that far. I go 10-15 miles alot to reefs/wrecks etc, that's like a walk in the park and I will make that trip alone as well. I guess it all comes down to personal experience, I have been doing this a long time and feel confident in what I do.
Another tip would be to download Navionics on your cell phone as a backup. For ten bucks it serves as a backup just in case. Also take a look at your compass and know the direction back to the inlet just in case.

Also take a look at your compass and know the direction back to the inlet just in case.

Speaking of compass.......I keep a compass like we used in Boy scouts, in my Flair box.

One similar to this.

41nkbtImF1L._SX300_.jpg

Reelysalty":1b0nyyi1 said:
10-30 miles our ? 23 DVCC will be OK if you pick your days.

The 25 Parkers are overwide, and only 21 degree hulls.

Buying new and wanting more than a 23 DVCC, I would look at Regulator (24 degree Cadillac ride)
or the 27' Onslow Bay (24 degree hull). These boats have really made a name for themselves
and at a reasonable price (around $100,000 with Suzukis)

http://www.onslowbay.net/virtual-tour-hosted

Or you could check out the awesome 28 parker!!!

"Lucky John" is a good moniker for someone who routinely goes 50 miles offshore in a 21 foot boat!

Key is watching the weather. I would not put anyone in danger that's for sure. Hopefully I will continue to make good decisions :D

I agree with lucky John, I have been going offshore for a long time and I have never had twins, 55 60 miles is regular runs for tuna, I have made these runs with buddies in 21's and with my maycraft 23'cc. Now that I bought my parker 2520xl this past November I can't wait to get out there. Biggest key is knowing your equipment and weather. Don't push your luck on either one. And boatus or seatow or whatever you choose in my opinion is a must. Get to know your boat and range and you will be fine. I could never justify the cost or maintenance of twins. Again, just my thoughts.

I agree with all who mentioned weather. This my primary use for our radar, If no radar given a small boat size, I would have live tracking of weather as part of my electronics set up. The weatherman ain't always our friend. CR

I will throw my two cents in as a former Coast Guard and now maritime patrol aircraft Customs pilot, with 11 years offshore search and rescue experience.

It has already been said; redundant radios, liferaft, epirb and flares. Call for help with the radios, when the shit hits the fan get in the liferaft and keep calling for help with the handheld/ activate that epirb.

Radio alone mayday that was picked up by USCG towers will get me in the airplane about 10-20 miles or so to your position. But that is if You were picked up by USCG rescue 21 system (it can be spotty). Epirb hit will get me around 5 miles, and that is where the flares come in.

Other then that if you are within 30-50 miles of shore, a good single engine, a sea anchor, watch your weather and a great tow plan.... Enjoy, everything is a calculated risk anyways.....

Something that was told to me years ago, stuck with me...

Never step down into a life raft.
Always step up into a life raft.

This was told to me by an old Coastie who had seen many boats abandoned, only to be found later still afloat.
The point is, you are better off on the boat, even if it is disabled.
That's why life rafts have a painter line. Get it ready, but don't use it unless you have to.

Megabyte":emad6i4j said:
and upkeep of a well maintained single. :wink: /

That is my two cents too. Regularly scheduled full maintenance with a top shelf mechanic. I have done at least 6 100 mile trips on a 20' key west and now about 4 100 mile trip each summer in the 2520.

When I turn every 100 hours I suck it up and pay for new pumps, compression tests, etc. My mechanic knows the drill now. check and test everything. I cannot imagine going off shore and not having full confidence.

I fish 10-30 miles offshore regularly in my 2120. Maintenance and knowing your boat and motor are paramount. Prepare for the worst and hope for the best. These boats can handle more than you think and I have put mine to the test more than once. I think captains sink boats more than boats sink captains. Not to sound negative but if your asking this question you should probably stay local. A few bad experiences and you will be turned off to boating in general. A flat calm day with chance of thunderstorms in the middle of August can get real ugly really quick.

If you are moving to Charleston.... Get the 23SE and pick your days offshore. You don't want to limit your inshore fishing either. :wink:

Must haves for me if I were to venture 30 off regularly:

Epirb
Radar so you know what is around you when visibility is poor
2 gps's in case one fails
VHF fixed mount and 1 VHF hand held. (in case you lose power)
I would like to have a 4 man raft too -- I carry my fathers all winter even in the Chesapeake Bay due to the cold water temps and lack of other boats around - he takes it back during the summer for his offshore fishing)

I wouldn't hesitate to run a well cared for single off regularly too. I am a believer that a high thrust kicker can do the job if you wanted back up power (most twin engine boats cannot plane on one engine so you are taking the slow boat back to shore no matter how you look at it)

Back