Opinions Please on Garmin G2 *Vision* Chips

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hakr

Reaction score
Anyone using these? These would be the extra expensive SD chips that fit into the plotters and show aerial photography, bottom contours, photos of port entrances, etc.

Specificially interested in the chip for the Chesapeake Bay area...am wondering if it is worth the $250 or so it fetches from discounters.

Thanks.

Got it. Love it. Go get one.

May want to check out Marine Electronics forum on THT. Bluewater Pirate has good video of how the mariners eye view works.

Jersey Jim":2b6ivutm said:
Do they offer a version for the Garmin 492?

I don't think so. I looked it up on the Garmin site and your unit is not listed. Is the 492 an analog machine?

I mean, you can certainley live with out Vision but it does have a few features I like such as the mariners 3d view. Helps you "see" markers ahead and with the weather overlay, you can see rain storms, lightining, etc., up ahead and it tells you how far it is. The camera/aerial photos are cool if you are navigating to unfamiliar marina or point of interest and you would like to see an aerial lay of the land before entering.

No, the GPSMAP 492 is not analog. It was discontinued within the year although plenty of stock is out there to be found. You have to enter the 492 into Garmon's site and perform a search. It will then take you to the product & specs. It's amazing how quickly the next & best thing comes out, especially with the reduction in screen prices.

Jim

Jim: Sorry, I wasn't clear. I didn't mean that the 492 is on the Garmin site, I meant that the 492 is not shown as one of the compatible units on the drop down menu of choices, in the maps section, under g2Vision.

May want to call them. If it's digital, the G2Vision should work.

Back