Our Fearless Leader

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

striperon

Reaction score
I want you all to know that Dale drove an hour to meet me today to instruct me on filling the screw holes from my seat base, that I am replacing with a leaning post.

He drove an hour and spent an hour of his Sunday with me. He was free with sharing his knowledge and his materials. He made recommendations on boat care, trailering, and cutting the bow rail for my trolling motor. He is a very knowledgeable boater. I am grateful.

Good man.

striperon":wpax56w0 said:
He drove an hour and spent an hour of his Sunday with me. He was free with sharing his knowledge and his materials. Good man.

And his spirit and generosity form the foundation and the future of ClassicParker. It's contagious!

He needs to post his tour schedule somewhere. Like the big rock bands do. I would have scooted over to meet him 8)

I would like to schedule a "service call" to Southport NC.

"Dale" is a very popular name here in the South. :wink:

Folks used to be like this as a matter of course. It is getting harder to find people that subscribe to "Old School" ethics these days.

Huzzah, Dale! You go ... whatever that means (my daughter says that a lot).

Ranger Tim":3mz9n62p said:
Folks used to be like this as a matter of course. It is getting harder to find people that subscribe to "Old School" ethics these days.

Huzzah, Dale! You go ... whatever that means (my daughter says that a lot).

It means:

Good on you, old chap. Your fortitude is admirable. :lol:

In the Army, its just HOOWA.

Ron,

I am taking on the same project at the end of the month (removing stock cooler seat and mounting a custom leaning post). Do you have any pics of the project or can you pass on any tips you picked up during the project? I am most interested in what I should use to seal the screw holes and what type of screws you used to hold the post to the deck. I want to make sure to use the right type of screw to minimize electrolysis.

Thanks!

Todd

T-Bro":2fc4yd91 said:
Do you have any pics of the project or can you pass on any tips you picked up during the project? I am most interested in what I should use to seal the screw holes and what type of screws you used to hold the post to the deck.
Todd:

I'll add more later, as I'll be extremely busy the next few days. Short answer ...

1) Protect the core
2) Seal the old holes with epoxy
3) See rule #1
4) Gelcoat to top of surface.
5) See rule #1
6) Do NOT use screws, NEVER use a screw when you can thru-bolt or use things like Togglers below
7) See rule #1

FYI - a slick trick to match the non-skid is to apply gelcoat, take a piece of 1" square 36 or 60 grit sandpaper, spray it good 'til sopping with Pam cooking spray, lay over the gelcoat repair area, cover repair area with plastic wrap and seal off from air.

Should be dry in an hour ...

T-Bro":2fc4yd91 said:
I want to make sure to use the right type of screw to minimize electrolysis.
You are more concerned with protecting the wood core and strength. That said, if the base is aluminum, Iput a small length of adhesive-lined heatshrink on the body of the SS bolt where it passes through the aluminum flange. You can also put a teflon/nylon washer between the aluminum flange and head of the SS fastener. Insulate the aluminum from the SS. Coat all bolts with blue waterproof synthetic grease like Bombardier 'Triple Guard' grease.

Use Togglersin 1/4"-20 size, 304 stainless steel:

036296250133_3.jpg

Best price for them is here: http://fastenmsc.stores.yahoo.net/snstst.html

Dale cautioned me that epoxy works best at or above 70 degrees. Well it hasn't been 70 since I saw him, and it won't be 70 for a while. Darn weather!

That is great that Dale would do that.

I have a project I would like him give me some personal advice on. It is a bit further that a hour though. Do not really know how much more, but San Diego is very nice this time of year.

Kirk

It comes as no surprise to me.

Dale has been a friend of mine for about 5 years now. I wish I could see more of him, but I moved a few towns further away and our busy schedules don't often sync up.

He would truly give you the shirt off his back if he thought you could make better use of of it than he.

Hats off to you my friend and we'll get together for a Guiness soon.

Back