Outboard prop puller

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

greatcir

Reaction score
I just started into some prop testing with a 4 blade ProPulse variable pitch (14.5X15 inch to 21 inch pitch) against my 3 blade Yamaha stainless (14.25X16).

http://www.propulse.se/

Having just a tab of sticking when changing props. Looks like no burrs & I keep the shaft greased. Looking for an inexpensive but functional prop puller that will not damage props. Ultimately I'll keep the ProPulse as my spare but just getting data now.

All I can see that might work is a Proptopuss:

http://www.proptopuss.com/20067_474.asp

Anyone have experience with this prop puller or another one? I have a 2007 150 4s.

Thanks,

.........Pete

Ugh, I personally don't care for the way those hooks grab the bottom of the blade. But, unfortuneately I cannot recommend anything else as I've never needed a prop puller.

The one time I ever had one stuck was when the boat was a trailerable boat (at least more trailerable than a big 25 foot beast). SO I loosened up the prop nut a few turns and put in the cotter pin loose, plunked her into reverse and goosed it ... loosened the prop right up ;) ! I do asvise you do this in shallow water ... just in case ;) .

I had a prop siezed on the old 150 Merc that was on my last boat. My prop "puller" consisted of a drill, drill bits, sawzall, chisels and a big hammer.... :?

Guess I could dry ice the shaft and put a torch on the prop? And ruin a good engine.

The ProPulse with variable pitch is a composite material and looks fragile to me. Okay for trials and as a spare, but the stainless will rule.

Thanks for the idea of putting the engine in reverse with the nut baked off a tab - doubt that would have ever crossed my mind and I have been boating for some time.

Learnin always learnin,

.......Pete

Watching the Deadliest Catch tonight. One of the big crab boats broke a prop and they had to change it underwater. The diver used a chain puller but it didnt budge. They ended up using a small dynamite charge which freed it.
Wouldnt recomend that for your outboard.

windy":1oedagl4 said:
Watching the Deadliest Catch tonight. One of the big crab boats broke a prop and they had to change it underwater. The diver used a chain puller but it didnt budge. They ended up using a small dynamite charge which freed it.
Wouldnt recomend that for your outboard.

That show is so freakin' awesome! Did you see the very next episode where they plucked that guy out of the water? Crazy stuff. That one sent chills up my spine! :shock:

I have used a knock nut. You should be able to buy one from a prop reconditioner for about $20.
ED

Back