Outriggers on 2120 SC

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tjaytjay

Reaction score
I just installed a pair of Taco Grand Slam outriggers. They are top mounted. I did not use a backing plate. The roof of my 2120 SC seemed like it was very thick and solid. Does anyone have these installed on there boat? Do you think I need the backing plates?
Thanks TJay

I believe so!

The intent is to spread out the force to a larger area. Even if you used 1/2" starboard or seaboard, or 3/8" marine ply wetted out with epoxy and painted (West Marine "sand" 1-part polyurethane is a close color match) ... you'd be much better off, IMHO, in the long run.

Still use 1" to 1-1/4" fender washers, or largest you can get, on the backing plates too. If in doubt ... email/call the engineering department @ Parker Marine.

As Dale said, you would be better off.

Why skip such an easy step??

Mine have 1/4" aluminum plate installed by the previous owner.

Bryan 2530":1jetsqlq said:
As Dale said, you would be better off.

Why skip such an easy step??

Mine have 1/4" aluminum plate installed by the previous owner.

I knew this would be the answer but was hoping not to spend the $79.00.
I am a cheap bastard.
Thanks

What size do you need? I have some 316L in 5" squares that is an absolute be-yatch to cut, or have some 5056 1/4" aluminum plate on hand.

IMHO, any metal job shop near you, or large metal fab places should be able to sell you a couple 3" by 6" or whatever size you need for cheap. A place near me sells cut-off pieces by the pound. A hobby of mine (when the boat is put away for the Winter :( ) is muzzleloading and I just bought three 48" pieces of 3/8" solid brass bar for < $18 and one 48" piece of solid aluminum in 5/16" diameter for < $2. All are perfectly straight too! So please check around :D !

Or lookie here: http://www.onlinemetalstore.com/items/A ... _Plate.cfm , as two 3" by 6" piece of 1/4" 5052 alloy are only $11. They might even have a better alloy to use, as I only remember that 5056 I stated as it is used to mfg'r aluminum boat hulls like Sea Nymph, Lowe, et al.

I'm cheap too and am an AVID DIY'r :D , if you've read my posts ... !

Dale
The plates are 4x6. I was going to pick up some aluminum plates. But it needs a 3'' hole in the center and Im not sure what to use to make the hole.

BTW it sure was un-nearving cutting two 3'' holes in my roof

Thanks for you feed back

A good bi-metal hole saw on med RPMs will cut a hole in alum plate with no problems IMHO. Use WD-40 or kerosene as a cutting fluid, allow the tool to cut, keep the tool teeth cool, and clear your chips.

Hope you remembered to wet out the exposed roof core with waterproof epoxy :shock: first!

i live here in long Island NY we have 3 scrap metal yards that r blocks from the aerospace industrial area they continually scrap 6061 T6 aircraft aluminum , u can get a 1/4" or 1/2" plate scrap say 5"x5" or so for about $5 ...that said go to your local scrap guys and pick through there plate scrap they will sell it to u about $1.5 per lb.....

bret

I did just find this on the Taco web site.

"Handy Hank’s Tip: As a rule of thumb, if the hard top is strong enough to walk on, it is usually strong enough to mount an outrigger on it.

Back