Overnighter - Northern California - Tuna, Squid and SHARKS!

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UnWired

Reaction score
Well, it was definitely an interesting evening and had an excellent time. Wasn't your standard cocktail hour... we were killin stuff!

P1010906.jpg

P1010911.jpg

We arrived somewhat late out on the water, with not much time to fish. We ran out 60NM from Eureka Ca. to get to our desired fishing spot. We put in and trolled and came up with a double within a half hour. Nice medium grade Albacore! Every retroll of the area at 40.25 & 125.18 boxed more fish. We were picking doubles, triples and singles at first. Then about 45 minutes after darkeness fell, we hit a 7 hookup, 5 lines ripped, then as I backed off the throttle to go help my poor deckhands, another 2 went off. Landed 5 albies on deck and two fish were fighting rather unusual. We brought up a double humboldt squid on Cedar Plugs, lost one at the boat, put one in.

P1010919.jpg

P1010921.jpg

P1010924.jpg

We were going to continue to troll, but shut down and turned on the radar. There was blood dripping out of the coolers, running down through the scuppers into the water. I popped in my happy fishing music (non stop Jaws theme music through the Bose speakers on deck) and continued to fish.... Well as luck has it, sharks found us quick. We turned on the deck lights and there was a massive Thresher shark about 300++ lbs in the water. We geared up with steel leader and sent back a chunk of Humboldt Squid tentacle... The fight was on... Knocked Dana down to his knees a few times on the back deck and ripped line for quite a while. About 20 minutes into the fight and several close attempts to gaff the shark, the leader broke about 10 feet behind the boat. So much for Shark fin soup!

P1010930.jpg

P1010931.jpg

P1010933.jpg

P1010934.jpg

P1010934.jpg

P1010937.jpg

We played around and caught another 3 sharks (Blues) and landed a 130 - 150lber on the deck of the boat.. Released the blue shark safetly and switched to catching those Humbodt squid, energy sucking tentacle tuna! I don't know how many we caught total, but we caught them until we were completely sick of catching them. I would have rather gone to see a proctologist than reel another one of those b@#$%s in.... Filled a cooler + and I believe Don (our partner boat) did as well. We drifted close to each other for most of the night and the wind started kicking up a little. I crawled up in the cabin and slept for a few hours as we continued drifting. I was toast and had to leave my guys on board to man the screaming 30 wide Penn VSXs.

P1010939.jpg

P1010942.jpg

P1010944.jpg

P1010947.jpg

In the middle of the evening, on our sword fish gear, we had something eat completely through 300 lb steel leader. I would like to have boated it, but never stuck. Probably a HUGE shark, or some deep dwelling sea creature that cannot possibly be landed on a Parker 2520... but hey, it would have made a nice photo and probably killed us and ate the camera and most of the boat.

P1010978.jpg

P1010979.jpg

P1010980.jpg

Early morning, we got back up on troll and took a little bit longer to find them... they swam off. Don got a couple fish and trolled back in because of the chop. We stayed out to play because another buddy boat (Kingfisher) was coming out to play. About an hour and a half with slow bites, we started filling the box. Ended up with multiple humboldt squid, 29 Albacore, some sharks landed, lots of blood and 3 very happy, yet tired people in our crew... I'm sure Don and his son are tired also and I thank both of them for coming out and playing with us!! I am humbled by the large predators in the water, that would like to have eaten us, but didn't... It was a fun 24 hours out in the North Pacific Ocean.

P1010983.jpg

P1010986.jpg

Bryan,

Those Humboldt squid fight... hard! I would honestly say they fight pound for pound as hard as tuna, if not a little more. A 40 lber reeled up from 300 feet will make you hurt!

This isn't the first time we caught them. Last year, 3 of us went out of Eureka and landed 32 Humboldt Squid on deck, for a total of 1200lbs of squid. We had Calamari all year, lots and lots of crab bait and sore muscles for days.

We ran a total of 200 miles (with trolling), kept the engine running all night (except for a couple shut downs) and burned a total of 88 gallons of fuel.

If the weather lays down again for a couple days, we will be taking another trip... That Thresher still has our hooks and leader and I need to get them back :evil:

Nice haul Unwired :D
My dream would B to catch the Albacore's, too far for me to reach in BC
This year lotsa Humbolts in Canadian waters fluke'd out on one on my last trip, inshore about 1 mile off
Hooked it @ 80ft on the troll, plenty of other fishermen catching these freaky things & lots of dead carcass washing up on the west coast beaches

Now Thats A Fishin Story!!
WTG boys!
Man I wanna move up to a 25,just cant swing it though. :cry:
MJ.

The Calamari is absolutely tender.... not like any other squid I have tasted. It's not tough and you really don't need to pound it. A metal tenderizer will destroy the meat, so we use a small light weight plastic one.

We have made Calamari pasta with white sauce, fried Panko battered Calamari strips and steaks, Chipino and I'm planning on making a Calamari Chowder soup, similar to clam, but with chunks of squid.
We caught 1200 lbs of squid last year and it saves perfect when vacuum sealed. The stuff I defrosted last week looks like it was caught yesterday.

The entire mantle is edible and each one weighs approx 10 lbs, just a solid chunk of meat about 3/4" thick. The tentacles, head and stabilizing fins are cut off, bagged and frozen for Crab season. Last year, we had enough crab bait for 3 months of Dungenous crab fishing.

In my opinion, Humboldt squid are the most useful fish we have on the west coast, because of the abundance and the ability to use them for so many different things. It even makes great halibut bait and the tentacles are great for throwing at your friends!

Squid_bw.gif

The beak of the Humboldt squid is the size of a large Parrot beak and is extremely strong!

080512-Frontiers-Prosthetics-1.300w.jpg

Chris, you guys are killing me. WTG, on a great trip. I agree those squid pull hard. I 've never got any over about 30 pounds, but they pulled pretty good also.

Keep posting, I'll read through the pain!

Latest posts

Back