Painting motor bracket

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

susqking

Reaction score
I'm going to repaint my motor bracket this weekend. I want to use an ablative paint, what is a good choice?

Thanks in advance,
Anthony

Tony - you can't or shouldn't use a cuprous-based (copper) anti-fouling paint on an aluminum motor bracket. You need to use Tri-Lux II (made for use on aluminum) or ePaint anti-fouling paints (both expensive, ePaint more so, as it's new technology non-cuprous based).

To do so otherwise would be to promote or accelerate electrolysis and galvanic corrosion, which means in the salt environment that the aluminum bracket would be eaten away.

I can show you pictures of this happening. "Whomever" owner my boat used copper-based paint. I caught it this far and note this is occuring in the weldment area, which is typical (welding changes the metallic structure of the parent metal). I ground it out with a Dremel bit and filled it with epoxy and it has been sound since ... plus I use Trilux II on it for anti-fouling.

Attachments

• G-Corrosion.jpg
    G-Corrosion.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 508
Thanks Dale. I sanded it down today, is there any particular primer needed? I don't see Trilux II but they sell Trilux 33 which is for aliminum too.

Sal:

Trilux 33 is it, they have changed the formula over the years to comply with EPA rega,so version -33 is what I'm using too.

On aluminum, I prefer a zinc-chromate etching primer, but you really need the metal back top bright alumnum. See what the T-33 can says ...

Back