Parker 2120 Spring prep: Outrigger Install, Roof Leak, GPS

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roccus

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I picked up a 2003 2120 last November with a 200hp Yamaha. I came across some older Lee Jr outrigger bases which were meant for 1 3/8" poles, but luckily found some used Marsh Tacky poles that fit! I figured I'd start a thread to detail upgrades/ maintenance projects as I get it ready for the season.

One question (many more to come I'm sure) is it possible to put 9x18 tabs on the original units? Or would I need to upgrade the entire trim tab set up? And is 9x18 a good size for the 2120? The boat pounded terribly in a 2-3' tight chop, even with the tabs all the way down and a permatrim on the engine.

I started to address the leaking roof. Pulled the horn off and dug out the rot around that area. It’s probably about a square foot or so that’s been impacted. I scraped it and vacuumed it out and then set up this vacuum pump. The plan is to suck out any remaining moisture and then do penetrating epoxy followed by thickened epoxy to fill the void.

Attachments

• D3E37C50-4BD0-446C-84C2-501D85EE50B9.jpeg
    D3E37C50-4BD0-446C-84C2-501D85EE50B9.jpeg
    126.1 KB · Views: 335
  • CD3A52CE-E886-4ED8-9EA3-1B38A7269D5B.jpeg
    CD3A52CE-E886-4ED8-9EA3-1B38A7269D5B.jpeg
    149.2 KB · Views: 334
  • 918D8493-D999-479C-AF41-509C5DE04E15.jpeg
    918D8493-D999-479C-AF41-509C5DE04E15.jpeg
    92.8 KB · Views: 334
I got the roof sealed back up with epoxy and, and while I wait on a cable clam to arrrive, now it’s time to tackle the outrigger installation. I have a set of Lee Jrs and I making backing plates out of starboard for them, but I was wondering, do you mount the metal bases of the outriggers right to the side of the pilothouse with 5200? Also, for the backing plates, do you use any adhesive to fasten those to the glass inside? Or will the bolts and washers alone suffice. Any advice on this is appreciated.

Roccus":jd1knto2 said:
I got the roof sealed back up with epoxy and, and while I wait on a cable clam to arrrive, now it’s time to tackle the outrigger installation. I have a set of Lee Jrs and I making backing plates out of starboard for them, but I was wondering, do you mount the metal bases of the outriggers right to the side of the pilothouse with 5200? Also, for the backing plates, do you use any adhesive to fasten those to the glass inside? Or will the bolts and washers alone suffice. Any advice on this is appreciated.

Don't use starboard for the backing plates. Use stainless plate.
You can use starboard for the backer on the outside under the Lee Jr's to set the proper angle, but do not use any sealer (especially 5200).
Sealer should not be needed on the backing plates either.
If it makes you feel better, use a small amount of marine silicone around the bolt holes. No 5200 !

Attachments

• IMG_0071.jpeg
    IMG_0071.jpeg
    100.1 KB · Views: 239
  • Photo Library - 508.jpeg
    Photo Library - 508.jpeg
    93.4 KB · Views: 241
  • Photo Library - 510.jpeg
    Photo Library - 510.jpeg
    108.4 KB · Views: 242
  • Photo Library - 512.jpeg
    Photo Library - 512.jpeg
    99 KB · Views: 240
Megabyte":234upnh9 said:
Roccus":234upnh9 said:

Don't use starboard for the backing plates. Use stainless plate.
You can use starboard for the backer on the outside under the Lee Jr's to set the proper angle, but do not use any sealer (especially 5200).
Sealer should not be needed on the backing plates either.
If it makes you feel better, use a small amount of marine silicone around the bolt holes. No 5200 !

Thank you for the advice and detailed photos, very helpful! A friend who works on boats said to countersink the bolt holes and put some silicone in there to help keep moisture out. He also said not to use 5200 since it would be a pain to remove if I ever needed to, so I will steer clear of that. I'm afraid I don't have access to stainless plates or a shop that could drill them during this lockdown phase, do you think using starboard would be ok for the season, and then I can switch out with stainless plates once I found some?

Thank you again for the help!

Next project will be installing and wiring in a new transducer and simrad go7 that a friend is giving me.

Starboard is too soft, might allow your bolts to pull through. If you can't do what Megabyte did, go get some big SS washers, as big as will fit, for now.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

If you don't have access to stainless plate, how about aluminum?
Aluminum backing plates with stainless fender washers would probably work in your application.
My Lee Jr outriggers used 2" x 19' poles. Yours are smaller so aluminum would probably be just fine.

Water intrusion isn't as big a problem here as the cabin bulkhead is solid fiberglass material.
There isn't any core material to get wet, but a little marine silicone wouldn't hurt. Just don't overdo it.

Megabyte":2bsa6g3f said:
If you don't have access to stainless plate, how about aluminum?
Aluminum backing plates with stainless fender washers would probably work in your application.
My Lee Jr outriggers used 2" x 19' poles. Yours are smaller so aluminum would probably be just fine.

Water intrusion isn't as big a problem here as the cabin bulkhead is solid fiberglass material.
There isn't any core material to get wet, but a little marine silicone wouldn't hurt. Just don't overdo it.

I was told to over drill the holes and fill with epoxy and then redrill through the epoxy. Is that still advisable even though there’s no wood core in the bulkhead? Or can I just drill through and that’s fine? Thank you again for the help.

Also, would starboard and washers on that be better than just large washers? Assuming I can’t get aluminum plates.

Roccus":3mo4ltxo said:
I was told to over drill the holes and fill with epoxy and then redrill through the epoxy. Is that still advisable even though there’s no wood core in the bulkhead? Or can I just drill through and that’s fine? Thank you again for the help.

Also, would starboard and washers on that be better than just large washers? Assuming I can’t get aluminum plates.

That is how you would do it if there was a core, but since you will be mounting on solid fiberglass, the epoxy is not needed.
Yes, starboard and fender washers would be better than just washers.
The backing plates are there to spread the load on the cabin wall from the weight of the deployed outriggers so whatever material you use has to be able to do that.

Megabyte":1671tvii said:
Roccus":1671tvii said:

That is how you would do it if there was a core, but since you will be mounting on solid fiberglass, the epoxy is not needed.
Yes, starboard and fender washers would be better than just washers.
The backing plates are there to spread the load on the cabin wall from the weight of the deployed outriggers so whatever material you use has to be able to do that.

Ok great that makes it a bit easier.

For mounting a new transducer. Should I pull the old one out and epoxy those screw holes and then dril and epoxy and redrill the transom for the new mount? Or can two transducers work? I’m probably leaving the old gps in for redundancy but will take its transducer out unless it’s ok to have two at once.

Roccus":meprowms said:
Ok great that makes it a bit easier.

For mounting a new transducer. Should I pull the old one out and epoxy those screw holes and then dril and epoxy and redrill the transom for the new mount? Or can two transducers work? I’m probably leaving the old gps in for redundancy but will take its transducer out unless it’s ok to have two at once.

In the transom, yes.
Drill, epoxy fill, then re-drill.
The transom is cored, so you want to protect that core.

I have only mounted a single transducer, so I can't answer that question.
But... I have read that two transducers in close proximity can be problematic.
I would research that one, and exercise caution there.

Got the outriggers mounted, still looking for aluminum for backing plates but will use the starboard I have since most suppliers locally are closed. Transducer and gps are up next. Hoping to splash early May.

Attachments

• AAF5CE57-A6C9-4FF4-ABEF-5CEDD0DBF5F7.jpeg
    AAF5CE57-A6C9-4FF4-ABEF-5CEDD0DBF5F7.jpeg
    173.5 KB · Views: 172
  • BACB3446-925C-40FD-9F21-60373C5F5264.jpeg
    BACB3446-925C-40FD-9F21-60373C5F5264.jpeg
    155.9 KB · Views: 171
  • 92FDE9F5-3EAE-41D4-AF62-6CD6A39FBF35.jpeg
    92FDE9F5-3EAE-41D4-AF62-6CD6A39FBF35.jpeg
    177.3 KB · Views: 170
Got the new name on, livewell almost finished, new gps and transducer installed. Splashing on Sunday of all goes well.

Attachments

• 0E877497-F8A3-4B18-B3F1-7C098DFFB342.jpeg
    0E877497-F8A3-4B18-B3F1-7C098DFFB342.jpeg
    111.9 KB · Views: 89
  • 2057EB2E-B535-4C4D-9E74-60B5CCDE6F21.jpeg
    2057EB2E-B535-4C4D-9E74-60B5CCDE6F21.jpeg
    142.1 KB · Views: 89
  • 28FA2146-06A6-46F8-A41C-2D771DDC0345.jpeg
    28FA2146-06A6-46F8-A41C-2D771DDC0345.jpeg
    86.9 KB · Views: 90

Latest posts

Back