Parker 23 DVCC - Overall Impressions

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GoodChance

Reaction score
So I've owned a bunch of different boats and ridden more. But I want to focus here just on the 23-25ft class since that seems to be a very popular size for the working-man with a small family. And Parker boats are central in this mix. Parker has a great reputation of building strong yet simple boats that offer great value. I've spent considerable time of many of the products that Parker offers and the 23 DVCC is my favorite. It's easy to trailer, easy to maintain, fuel efficient, reliable, looks good (who wants an ugly boat), and seaworthy.

Parker has a reputation of having a "hard riding" boat and I think that this is deserved on the 25 and 28 hulls. The 2500 and 2501 (MV and DV) and the 2801/2820 are all hard riding. You wouldn't think they would be but I believe the "fat bow" and wide beam hurt the ride. Fortunately the 23 isn't as fat in the nose as the 25 and 28 and only has a 8,5ft beam resulting in a much better ride. The 23 Parker (mine anyway) rides remarkably better than the "famed" 23 SeaCraft. Drier and softer. I never really liked my 23 Potter SeaCraft but that's a different story.

Some people carry-on about the wood used in Parker and the fuel tanks. I've owned 3 Parkers. One was/is a 1986, a 1996 and a 2000. I never had to replace any of these tanks and all are still on their original tanks (minor exception..... the 2801 had both tanks replaced in 2003 (3 year old tanks) due to a manufacturing problem by RDS. Parker replaced both tanks at no cost.

I do think that faulty inspection plates, lack of maintenance to inspection plates, those stupid plastic hatches located over the bilge access and the livewell all cause more problems for the hull, wood floor and fuel tanks than anything else. All of these need regular maintenance. And if you want to be super vigilant, replace the big plastic hatch with a metal hatch.

I REALLY loved the 23 DVCC. An absolute great boat. A great hull. But I am/was taking this hull way further offshore than I probably should have been (100 miles was routine and 150+ wasn't at all unusual ..... that's each way). Never had a single problem. Sure ...... we had to slow down 1 or 2 times or maybe change course by 20 degrees for comfort/safety but never felt unsafe or concerned. I wasn't looking to sell but I was also halfway looking for a 26 Southport. Been looking at these hull for many years. Then the stars aligned with a buyer who came knockings at the right time and a seller of a 26 Southport.

I'm enjoying the new Southport with twin engines and a very soft ride with lots and lots of room but I'm guessing that I'll be back in a Parker in the coming years.

Attachments

• IMG_8826.JPG
    IMG_8826.JPG
    78 KB · Views: 28
Back