Parker 2520 fuel issue

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Drasp42

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I recently purchased a 2005 Parker 2520dvsc with twin yamaha 150s (Mark Wisch model). Since day one of purchase in November we have had trouble with debris in the fuel that is clogging our injectors. We have already spent an additional $4,000+ trying to fix the fuel contamination issue. We have had the fuel sucked out, fuel polished, fuel lines replaced, gone through 4 sets of new fuel water separators, had the injectors professionally cleaned twice but the problem persists. Initially we were getting much more debris and water in the fuel filters but now that we have had the fuel polished it has looked much better but still large debris. The previous owner Only used the boat 2 times in 12 months which is what we have been lead to believe cause this problem. I am looking for any help or insight as to what we can do to redone this nightmare! Has anyone heard of this problem in Parkers? I am desperate for any help I can get to resolve the issue.
Thanks,
Dan

This is not an engine or boat problem but a fuel/delivery problem. Any time I hear issues with debris/clogged fuel filters I immediately think ethanol degredation of fuel lines. When you look at the debris in your water fuel separators what does it look like? Dissolved fuel line is kind of translucent and jelly like. What kind of additives are you putting in your fuel? Have you replaced all fuel lines with new ethanol resistant material? This is starting from the pickups at the tank to water fuel separator, then to primer bulb and engine? If all this is done the issue is in your tank. What kind of separator are you using? If you are not using one like a Racor with a clear glass/plastic reservoir at the bottom you can inspect you should change these first. Being able to see what is in the separator and being able to drain it off should help. If you know a mechanic with a video scope you may also want to look in your tank to see what is in there. Sounds to me like there is trash in the tank that needs cleaning.

What fuel filter are you running? How many micron?

Many have gone to the 2 micron Racor with no problems. That should catch anything before it gets to your injectors.

WOW, $4K. I'm in the wrong business. :D

Thanks for the replies. We were told by our mechanic to run 10 micron filters but we have read people switching to 2 micron filters and it solving the problem. Our mechanic now is recommending we run 2 filters to each engine back to back because he believes our tank has too much debris. Any thoughts on that? The debris we are finding is black and flaky looking.

I removed the extra tank fuel fitting and used a piece of PEX tubing and a cheap Harbor Freight hand pump (should have bought a Beckson) to remove fuel into clean kitty buckets.
Pex tubing is flexible and was remove nearly all of the fuel and use2 micron Racor filters bought from SIM
m2cw

What Bryan said. Sounds like One of your fuel hoses has gone bad. I would start by pumping the tank empty then replacing the fuel tank fill hose. I have a '02 parker and just replaced the fuel fill hose last summer for the exact same reason, was replaceing the water sept. filter and found all sorts of black gunk in it. Had some one pump out the whole tank and started with the fill hose. When i got the hose out it was toast. where the hose made the 90 degree turn to the tank it was actually soaked to the ouside with fuel. If it's not that it's got to be the hose/s to water sepr. good luck

We already have replaced the hoses to the fuel water seperator so we will try draining the tank, then replacing the fill hose next. Any thoughts on running the racor 2 micron filter?
Thanks

I thought of running a 2 micron filter but I was afraid of maybe running to lean
What is the flow rate on that compared to the 10 micron filter and
I hadn't heard of the two filter set up until now

10 micron Racor as a pre-filter and a 2 micron Racor after it

I guess the 10 is to do the initial cleaning but the 2 micron will that be to restricting

Anyone know the flow rate of those and what is the flow rate the motors need

Or is all that not a consideration :roll:

Black and flaky : my diagnosis is to replace all lines replaced, fill, vents, anything and all. I did the total job on my old boat no more problems after that. Your tank may have remnants from the lines left in it that the polishing my have not removed unless they were able to "vacuum" out the tank.

There is much to be said about ethanol and fuel stabilizers and aluminum tanks vs fiberglass etc etc. A 2005 Parker should have none of the problems associated with ethanol and deteriorating fuel lines,fuel tanks etc. The lasting impression I get from your post is that if you have spent $4,000 on the problem with no satisfaction your first step is to find a mechanic that knows what he is doing and is as interested in fixing your problem as he is in spending your money.

I was reading this and was thinking about proactively replacing fill, vent and supply lines because I had a small amount of black flakes in the racor. My question is this: My 2320 is in my driveway and it has a full tank. I saw a previous post about draining the tank. Do I have to drain the tank to do these hose replacements? I am under the impression that all hoses come out the top fo the tank and so I would not need to drain it. What is wrong with what I am thinking?

Back