Parker Blistering?

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roon

Reaction score
Hi All. Upon initial inspection of a 02 Parker 2310 I found some blistering above the waterline on both sides.

I read these can be cut out and re- gel coated pretty easily. Is that true? Is there a bigger problem? Does anyone know what I can expect to pay to have this repaired?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Mike

Sorry, I meant to attach a picture but it looks like it was too large. Here is a shot. There is about 12 of these spots (up to the size of a nickel) on one side and 5 on the other.

Attachments

• Blister2.png
    Blister2.png
    119.2 KB · Views: 528
Sort of looks like a modest attempt at gel coat repair. Maybe only needs to be wet-sanded? Are the areas raised relative to the hull surface and rock-solid, or can they be flaked off with your fingernail?

Windknot is a Parker gel-coat expert (as are others on CP), he might chime in.

Bryce

Thanks. It was very solid, Raised off the surface, and I wasn't able to get it to flake or push in at all.

I'm waiting to hear back from the owner (using broker) on what it is and why he did it.

Forgive me, I can't tell the scale from the photo but those look like barnacle "seats" the base of barnacles sometimes left when you knock the tops off. They can be very stubborn to get off, especially after they've dried. Try a good sharp putty knife and a firm hand.

How about some additional pictures with some sort of frame of reference. Give us a pic from a little farther back also so we can see where these are located. I find it very difficult to believe they are blisters. I have never seen a Parker with blisters.

Almost looks to me like something got splashed on the boat that softened the gelcoat...and it rehardened over time.

Thanks for all the feedback.

The owner said they are "Barnacle Bases from when the boat was hauled last". I don't know much about them but I find it odd that they are only above waterline.

Can't exactly tell where the pic is showing but is definitely above the water line judging from the paint... barnacles don't grow over night and i would like to know how it got up there....

What's so hard to believe about barnacles growing on the side of a boat just above the waterline ? They don't need to be submerged all the time to survive. A seldom used boat that has water lapping up the side in a slip or mooring will grow barnacles beautifully on an unpainted surface. a boat that lists to that side will grow them even better.

TWOBOATER":2kv998mn said:
What's so hard to believe about barnacles growing on the side of a boat just above the waterline ? They don't need to be submerged all the time to survive. A seldom used boat that has water lapping up the side in a slip or mooring will grow barnacles beautifully on an unpainted surface. a boat that lists to that side will grow them even better.

OK, Number one he said he could not scrape or chip it off, he said it is very hard, then its not a barnacle seat . I have never seen a barnacle grow above a water line or even on the portion of a piling that is regularly exposed due to regular tides. Since they are on both sides we can eliminate listing to one side. I would like to see better pics, but after thinking about there is a good chance that is 5200 and there was a spray rail on the boat at one time. just my opinion.

Capt. Mike, trust me, 30 plus years running a boat yard, I know what barnacles look like.

TWOBOATER":3s31g15v said:
Capt. Mike, trust me, 30 plus years running a boat yard, I know what barnacles look like.

Yep, barnacle bases. :roll:

Use a flat screwdriver carefully, and they will come off.

Or dissolve them with the fancy hull cleaner stuff or vinegar.

Back