Parker factory close it's doors ?

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Capt. Ronnie

Reaction score
I was told of someone who was down there that quite a few boat manufactures (Parker included) closed it's doors because of this economy and some have cut down to skeleton crews !
This true about Parker ?

Was told Scout closed it's doors also.
From reading on other forums many boats companies appear to be heading in that direction !

was told via the local dealer that Parker did the normal shut down over the holidays, and that a few people have been laid off. doors are open.....just spoke to Robin yesterday.

I checked the websites of a few manufacturers. Parker, Steiger Craft, May-Craft, Scout, Triumph, Carolina Skiff, Sea Hunt, Grady White, and Trophy are all up. The only one that I checked that seems to have disappeared is C-Hawk.

The McKee Craft website is down and according to the chatter on the McKee Craft discussion group on THT, the factory is closed. Whether they open again is unknown.

- Fly Rod

We will probably see a lot of companies scaling back their hours in an attempt to outlast the recession/depression. The companies with good product (like Parker) should be able to outlast the downturn.

I wish Parker, and the other builders, all the best in these trying times.

Kevin - I too hope all the companies survive for the sake of all the employees and their families. The next few years are going to be stressful times.

If Parker can't make it, I guess we'll all have to pony up and turn it into the "Parker Membership Corporation". Maybe we can get tax breaks from Obama like the EMCs do. :idea: 8) Then we can have board meetings, approving our own warranty work. When we need capital, we'll claim damages due to the shi!!y economy and demand to be made whole by that bunch of low life lawyers and other shysters in that big fraternity known as "The 535 Club". (No offense intended toward members of the bar who do not choose to become "public servants".)

sorry....i lost my head for a moment. :?

Good fishing!! :D

I hope Parker makes it through these hard times. Parker is a niche boat and expensive to buy new. Allot of people were banking on their equity in there homes to buy these boats and that equity is gone in allot of cases. Confidence is at an all time low and this will probably be the worst year in recent history for boat/rv sales. That been said Parker will probably have to scale back and focus on the smaller models for a while. My local Parker dealer is having a hard time with Grady White boats and I would not be surprised to see them go. There is allot of good deals on used boats out there and that hurts new boat sales and brings down pricing/values. The one thing that will help new boat sales is interest rates on new boat financing is lower than used and sometimes will fill the gap between new and used. Good luck Parker I hope you can brave these trying times. :wink:

I noticed that parker has started producing their commercial model again.
A 21',23' and a 25' all of them are open console style hulls that are bare, no console, rigging or motor just a wide open hull. They used to make them years ago but stopped when they got to busy so I guess now they figure they have enough time to fool with them.

maxout":3ae60gqn said:
...There is allot of good deals on used boats out there and that hurts new boat sales and brings down pricing/values. The one thing that will help new boat sales is interest rates on new boat financing is lower than used and sometimes will fill the gap between new and used...

Problem is not with the rates, it is with the qualifications to get the loans. Most Americans are in over their heads with debt. They have been on a 30-year binge of spending more than they make. Over 50% of Americans have more debt on their credit cards than they have invested for retirement in IRAs and 401Ks/403Bs. It is going to take a year or more for them to pay down enough debt so that the banks feel comfortable loaning money to people with other than absolutely sterling-grade credit scores.

Add to that the fact that most Americans are in fear of losing their jobs and they are trying to build up a safety net as fast as they can. They are all of a sudden listening to "Suzie Ormon" and trying to save up that 8-months of salary to carry them over while they look for a new job.

Until the debt ratio comes down and people feel they have enough saved to provide a safety net, this economy is not going to get better.

Every few generations the same old lessons have to be relearned. Our grandparents went through the Great Depression. They learned the hard way to live within their means. Our parents and our generation for the most part have forgotten those lessons, and lived beyond their means. Our kids will probably walk away from this severe recession (could be a depression by the time it is over) with those lessons. Unfortunately, their kids and grandchildren will probably have to learn it the hard way again.

Those businesses which have depended on Americans spending what they don't have are in for some rough times. I also hope Parker finds a way to weather this economic environment.

Dave

aka

sea1skiff":2v4dv5vy said:
i heard they are at reduced workforce and only building 34's at this time.
If that's the truth, they are incredibly short sighted and I'd be very disappointed. The 34's aren't selling as-is. The one 3A Marine owns has had zero real interest, even at the boatshows.

They ought to build more small boats that appeal to a wider audience.

sparky":14pol4ck said:
sea1skiff":14pol4ck said:
i heard they are at reduced workforce and only building 34's at this time.
If that's the truth, they are incredibly short sighted and I'd be very disappointed. The 34's aren't selling as-is. The one 3A Marine owns has had zero real interest, even at the boatshows.

They ought to build more small boats that appeal to a wider audience.

I would be suprised if that is the case. My local dealer is sitting on a 34 too and is all but giving it away. Maybe when the 34 is in production it takes up the whole factory?

Back