Parker horns

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Ongaro 100% SS are the way to go. I had to replace my OEM Signaltone) after two years. It was in various stages of dying after 1 year. The Ongaro horns have been going strong for three years.

Just an observation, but we always tend to blame the horn for failing. The location is a factor too. Sitting up on the pilothouse, they catch a lot of spray and tend to crap out over time. If you look at the horn placement on most large sportfish boats, they are almost always pointed down, so the water can run out.

This was pointed out to me by a previous Parker owner as I was replacing my horns this year. Sure enough, I picked my head up and looked at the row of "big boats" across from me and everyone had horns pointing down.

Don't know that much about horns as I have not had to replace mine yet. I did stumble across some info that indicates that although most horns say they are stainless the inner parts are not and that's what fails. Here is the web site I’m going to check out a little more when I need to replace mine. They claim to have a five year guarantee.

http://www.ongaromarine.com/horns.htm

This is what was on my boat when I bought it. The internals are steel and rusted up solid.

Image-5166E0E6AEE311D9.jpg

I replaced the old single AFI horn with a set of Ongaros.

Image-51670608AEE311D9.jpg

Capt. Ronnie":2nkyctb9 said:
Maybe Parker should read this tread and rethink how/where they install the horns!

...or re-think installing horns at all. I notice horns are now standard even on center consoles. If ordering new, I would check "horn delete" option and transfer over my reliable and rust proof "USCG Approved" plastic whistle. :wink:

Capt. Ronnie":2pptvjb2 said:
Maybe Parker should read this tread and rethink how/where they install the horns!

Actually they have.

All of the new boats are now equipped with the all stainless Ongaro's and the pilothouse boats now have them mounted back behind the all-around light and away from spray.

Lot of old threads about horns and is good to come up once in awhile too. There are some that have direct replacements installed, some switched to other brands as mentioned, newer hardtops are mounted different, and some people have put them on the side, and at least one went to an an air horn.

For what it is worth, I changed model in the AFI line and aimed them down a bit to drain. I replaced the two horn AFI with the front mount support in July 2002 and it is still working. I had replaced the original model the year prior and it failed in a year. My latest AFI is two horn but I gave up decibels. It doesn't have the front support so I can angle it.

Here is one side view. You can still see the hole in the roof and rubber seal for the front support not used on this model.

We took a ride from Hingham MA to Provincetown last weekend, 55 miles each way for the weekend. Each way about 1/2 to 2/3 of travel was 8 to 12 mph due to head-on serious wave action. Every bit of the boat was thoroughly salted and tossed and turned like being in a washing machine. The horns worked. Virtually every wave went into the windshield or over the cabin top on a 2530.

FYI, I also had taken Thursday off before I knew I was taking the trip and had put Rain-X on the windshield and for most of the trip I didn't even use the wipers!!

When the day this 5 year old set of horns fails I'm going louder again but I will figure out a mount to angle them. This AFI model going on 5 years does not have a stainless steel diaphragm.

Dana

Attachments

• DSC02466 (Medium).JPG
    DSC02466 (Medium).JPG
    51.7 KB · Views: 1,472
Megabyte":1zw452e0 said:
Capt. Ronnie":1zw452e0 said:

Actually they have.

All of the new boats are now equipped with the all stainless Ongaro's and the pilothouse boats now have them mounted back behind the all-around light and away from spray.

That gets me to thinking...maybe I should move mine behind the Raytheon radar dome. They would still be heard, but out of the direct spray.

I can see a project on the horizon. :D :D :D

Back