PARKER Looking out for boaters in NC!

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FishPimp

Reaction score
I received this email and thought you all would like to see and read about our Boat's Manufacturer looking out for our fellow boaters trailering in North Carolina.

Please place this first ever public forum concerning transportation of oversized boats on NC highways on your calendars. With the increase of towing citations, we should use this forum to have our voices heard since these regulations directly impact recreational boating, tournaments, tourism and local economy in North Carolina.

As I have stated before, we (NC) certainly want to be known as a boater friendly state as much of our economy greatly depends on boating. According to NMMA statistics in 2006, the marine industry brought $650 million in sales revenue to the state of NC. With the large role that the marine industry plays in NC, it is unfortunate that due to the ill suited and poorly advised laws coupled with the negative internet publicity NC’s reputation is quickly tarnishing with recreational boaters.

This is our opportunity to let our representatives know how important this issue is to our state and together we can educate our lawmakers and strongly encourage them to revisit the wording of the laws.

I urge you to pass the information on this meeting along to others concerned about these regulations.

Thank you in advance for your attention to the very important matter.

Sincerely,
Robin Parker
Marketing/Dealer Support
[email protected]

The information on the public forum follows:

This public forum is the first ever put on by the North Carolina State Highway Patrol concerning transportation of oversize boats on the North Carolina Highways. It would be very beneficial for all fisherman in this area to attend and show interest and concern in these regulations. There will be officials from the US DOT enforcement in attendance. Members or Staff members of State and Federal Representatives have committed to attend This is the time for anyone that is concerned or unsure about these requirements to be in attendance. I have worked with the State Patrol Motor Unit Command Staff and have been able to get them to provide this opportunity to the recreational boaters. Please, if you can assist in getting out the information for this event I would be very grateful. This has taken 3 months of work to get in place. This may be a one time opportunity and the concerned recreational boaters should attend and show their interest and concern. All the rules and regulations are not going away, so we must inform and work toward amending some laws with Representatives that are not applicable. Please give me a call if you need any further. I realize this is not a nationwide effort, but we must start somewhere by educating and trying to make some changes. Thanks for any assistance you might can provide.

Al Morris Jr.

April 20, 2008

MEDIA ADVISORY

TO: News Directors, Editors

RE: Public Forum on the Transportation of Oversize Commercial and Recreational Boats

The Highway Patrol will conduct a public forum on Monday, April 21st discussing the rules and regulations of transporting oversize recreational and commercial boats on North Carolina highways.

The forum will be conducted at 6:00 p.m. at the Warwick Center, located on the campus of the University of North Carolina at Wilmington, 601 South College Rd. Wilmington, N.C.

The public is invited to attend the event.

For additional information contact Captain George Gray at 919-715-8683.

If these towing laws were strickly enforced it could become a serious problem in many states for us recreational boaters.
With towed boats getting longer and wider,common sense would say
that several states should take a look at some of their antiquated
laws on over the road towing of these vessels. I think maybe alot of these laws were put on the books back when roads and shoulders were alot
narrower than they are today.

Agree... Many of these laws are seriously out of date considering the advancements made in road building as well as advancements in tow vehicles and trailers.

Latest posts

Back