Parker rod holders for high speed trolling wahoo

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sydngoose

Reaction score
Good morning. I wanted to get your opinions on the factory rod holders that are flush mounted on the washboards/ gunnels: 2021 Parker 2320

Are the factory provided rod holders adequate for high speed trolling ( 50 and 80 series reels/ rods) for wahooo?

I plan to mount 2 more 15 degree HD rod holders with backing plates for the bent buts. But, can I run heavy gear out of the factory rod holders without them

tearing out w/ a 80 pound wahoo strike. I will fight the fish from the rod holder.

I don't want to a.) damage the boat. b.) loose a fish or gear to the rod holders

tearing out of the flush mount. Thoughts? At least make backing plates for them? Or replace them with Lees HD ( $$) or just use them as they are mounted?

Depends. What rod holders do you have? If they're the combo rod/cup holders, those are known to be problematic. I wouldn't trust them with a black bass, to be honest. If they've switched from those, I would examine them closely to see exactly what they're made of and try to determine who makes them.

Best thing to do is to look at how they're mounted. Are they just screwed in to the covering boards? Are they thru-bolted? Do they have any backing whatsoever as it is?

At the very least I would want to see through-bolted with some fender washers. Problem is, with some rod holders, the mounting hardware is configured such that there's very little clearance for any washer at all between the fastener and the rod tube. If that's the case with yours, I would recommend a backing plate. Depending on the manufacturer, that may be something you can purchase, or you may have to have them fabricated. A quick google search came up with a bunch of them.

Pictures of your setup would definitely help, as well as adding to the collective knowledge.

Depends. What rod holders do you have? If they're the combo rod/cup holders, those are known to be problematic. I wouldn't trust them with a black bass, to be honest. If they've switched from those, I would examine them closely to see exactly what they're made of and try to determine who makes them.

Best thing to do is to look at how they're mounted. Are they just screwed in to the covering boards? Are they thru-bolted? Do they have any backing whatsoever as it is?

At the very least I would want to see through-bolted with some fender washers. Problem is, with some rod holders, the mounting hardware is configured such that there's very little clearance for any washer at all between the fastener and the rod tube. If that's the case with yours, I would recommend a backing plate. Depending on the manufacturer, that may be something you can purchase, or you may have to have them fabricated. A quick google search came up with a bunch of them.

Pictures of your setup would definitely help, as well as adding to the collective knowledge.

Thanks for taking the time to post, 2530: To be safest, I am going to purchase some 1/4 inch aluminum and make backing plates and thru bolt all my rod holders. I will also post some pics up later and update this thread w/ the rod holder resolution. Thanks again, SNG

Look under them, if they are the combo rod/cup holders they are cheap plastic. Remove and throw them in the trash. Exact replacements that are solid metal and weight about 5 lbs each are available and they come with a backing plate. One of my first changes on my 2820. Good luck

Back