Parker Sinking

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

reeaddictionri

Reaction score
We have a 97 Parker 2320 (original owner) and 2 years ago we put a new HPDI 200 on replacing a 97 200 2-stroke (notched transom). We chose the same model Yami since the weight between the 2 were very similar. Every year we have to raise the water line in the aft half of the boat when we bottom paint. This year the boat seems to be sitting another 3" in the water so much so that the outboard exhaust is gurgling water.

I am going to get the years of bottom paint soda blasted in the spring and put a fresh 2 year coat on the bottom. My question is, should I be looking for any other area where the Parker hull can store water or absorb creating this situation? Wood stringers or foam filled? We fill the tank after every trip so the boat is accustomed to being docked with a full tank every time. Should I be concerned that water is being absorbed in the interior hull?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Reel Addiction
Pointview, RI

reeaddictionri":1t8mdabo said:
Every year we have to raise the water line in the aft half of the boat when we bottom paint. This year the boat seems to be sitting another 3" in the water so much so that the outboard exhaust is gurgling water.

My question is, should I be looking for any other area where the Parker hull can store water or absorb creating this situation? Wood stringers or foam filled?

Should I be concerned that water is being absorbed in the interior hull?
Haul it and get a professional survey on that hull NOW! you got a big problem, I'm afraid to say! I saw this happen on one of my old boats, due to a leaking garboard drain.

I bet some garboard drain or through hull is leaking and allowing water to enter into the 'core'. I bet your bilges are continually full of water too. check to see if SALT or FRESH water by tasting it, but be prepared to rinse out your mouth immediately afterwards; I recommend a strong citrus drink or Listerine-type stuff.

You also could be collecting rainwater.Check bilges and pump/sponge dry. Put light mist of hose on back deck, see when it runs down the back deck. I bet it all isn't going into the scuppers, but some might be getting into the bilge by leaky inspection ports or uder the bulkhead where the cockpit floor meets the aft vertical bulkhead. This junture is usually sealed with filler, but if your boat was ever in cold climates, any water the accumulates under there can freeze and POP that joint to where it is no longer water-tight. This happened to my hull (pre my ownership), so I re-bed that joint with Lifeseal LifeCaulk.

Funny you should mention Starboard drain, the forward hatch in the cuddy, (under cushions, starboard side) always has a little water pooled up in there and it is salt. I assumed the through hull for the forward bilge might have a leak.

I have been through the bilges every spring and the forward never comes on (tested and OK). The rear does work as needed and is on direct power always powered.

reeaddictionri":1nvqnsxk said:
Funny you should mention Starboard drain, the forward hatch in the cuddy, (under cushions, starboard side) always has a little water pooled up in there and it is salt. I assumed the through hull for the forward bilge might have a leak.
That's most likely seawater from wave and sea action, being FORCED into the bilge outlet. Make sure yours has a 360-degree loop to help prevent water being forced in, as in-line check valves (they do make them ) are NOT recommended on bilge outlet lines.

Regardless, yours has a leak. Any standing water allowed to sit in the bilge will 'steam' under hot days and it will enter any place it can. Water usually sits under the helm cabin floor, not to the rear, where yours seems to have added 'weight'. You might have a couple things going on, sad to say. Very sorry you're going through this!

I understand how water can get forced into the line, but this is a dry hatch under the cuddy cushions. I believe your 25 has the same hatch although the thru hull for the forward bilge might be farther back. Its the basin in that hatch that I find a couple inches of water. The line for the thru hull goes thru the cut for the hatch basin and I can't see if there is loop on it. We don't have any other standing water in the boat, ever.

Any idea what the Parker hull warranty is?

Check the gas tank compartment for water. There is an inspection port that can leak into the gas tank compartment (which is water tight and does not drain into the bildge.) I reseal the inspection port with 3M silicone every couple of years to prevent this problem. Water can accumulate over the seasons and soak into the foam. For your sake, I hope that's not the problem...

Ohh baby! ...we are living this dream. (New tank arrived today! Yippeee)
It illustrates exactly what Phil is describing.

But instead of moving the bottom paint water line up, our story began "It was a soft spot in the deck that caught our attention one day..."

There is about 35 gallons salt water/fuel mix there (about 230 lbs @ x's approx. 7 lbs (I know fuel is 6 something and sea water is almost 8 so picking the middle...).

Further, under the wet wood aft where the deck skin is lifted, those float boxes filled with foam each had another 5++ gallons each of water (almost another 70 lbs).

We also opened up the drain for the transom mount for the motors (it is a sealed mount) and IT drained about 2 more gallons.

Presto - 300 lbs gone!

Outboard of the area cleared are more tanks, etc. There are lots of places to absorb water.

This all came DOWN from poorly installed deck hardware (fighting chairs, cooler, inspection ports). Nothing from below coming UP.

Also, see this thread ( viewtopic.php?f=8&t=6454 ) from the Parker factory. About half way down the thread is a great picture of the stringer system in the boats. It shows ALL the places water can hide.

Copy what Dale said - HAUL IT and GET A SURVEY...and get to know someone in the marine trades....None of this is highly complex, but it is a dirty job and someone has to do it. And it might not be as bad as I can imagine....

The good news is that if the water is coming UP rather than going DOWN, it is sitting on a solid glass hull and the stringers are really well glassed. The foam won't absorb too much water (it is closed cell) and is relatively cheap to replace (not fun or cheap to remove - eg. having to cut into the boat). Find the source, drain the water and let it dry out for a month or so and you could be back in business relatively pain free....re-read "Survey" and make them use a moisture meter.

In the end, it will be worth it knowing your boat is solid and dry again. At least that's how we are coping....

Feeling your pain -
Jtwo

Attachments

• sans tank post.jpg
    sans tank post.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 703
  • aft under deck skin post.jpg
    aft under deck skin post.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 703
Back