Penn 704 on tuna stick

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

striperon

Reaction score
I have a Penn 704 (greenie) that I would like to pair up with a new rod for tuna (footballs). I would like to stay at or under 7'.

If I build one, which blank and guides would you recommend? If I buy, I want to stay under $200.

Thanks, Ron.

I'd save building the rod and pouring $$ into a rod for use with that reel. I'd get either an old white Penn Slammer 1-piece 7' LIGHT action rod or the honey-colored Ugly-Stik 'Tiger' brnad rod. Both around $60.

Up from there are MANY option from $80 to $120. Many guys on our No Shore (Mass) Toona Intel crew are buying the Tsunami 7' med-light rod.

I have a Seeker ($150) and it is awesome! But, I beat a 60# tuna to the boat in less than 10-minutes using a Penn 9500 spinning reel on that 'cheap' white Penn Slammer rod.

Ditto what Dale said about the Tsunami. I have mine paired with a Penn 9500. Great rod for the price. Fisherman's Outfitters in Gloucester carry them.

You fish for toona with spinning gear? :shock:

Of course... I ask that having never fished for toona.
Those guys don't visit us here in the Bay. :|

Megabyte":2xhruha4 said:

Lots of guys do that Kev. I always take my 6' Ugly Stick/Penn 5500SS combo when I go chunking. Almost hooked a big wahoo on it once....

You, Greg and I need to plan a trip for later this summer... :D

gw204":1dee45y9 said:

I'm up for that... but I'd rather take my TLD15's and 20's with me if we're doing toona. :)

Almost all my rods, both for back bay fishing and heavy tackle offshore gear is either Tsunami or Ande...I know the owners of Bimini Bay(the guys who make tsunami) and they are good guys with a good product for a good price. In the same price range are Ande's...the only thing I like better about Ande rods is that they hold up to the elements better over time. Just make sure you hose down tsunami rods every time and they will last a long time....ande can go without a wash or two and nothing happens.

Yes, we take the spinning rod for tuna on the surface. Most of our fishing for BF is still trolling. We also have a 14 wt fly rod "just in case!"

FYI:

The rod guys are going for is the Tsunami Trophy, 7', 25-40 lb medium heavy, TSTBS-701MH.

Hey Ron,

We should hook up this summer, I fish out of Scarborough. I was in Casco Bay last Saturday looking for mackerel over near the yellow marker at Cushing. I saw 4 or 5 Parkers go by while I was there. Anyway, I would love to get into those footballs ! :shock:

gw204":bjs2abux said:
Megabyte":bjs2abux said:

Lots of guys do that Kev. I always take my 6' Ugly Stick/Penn 5500SS combo when I go chunking. Almost hooked a big wahoo on it once....

Boy, please include me too. I have never fished for toona and I am dying to get my feet wet before outfitting my boat for them.

I have several Penn 5500SSs. Do tell, I wouldn't think they would stand up to football abuse! I use them for Light Tackle Trolling.

John

Foggy,

We should get together. Sometimes two boats are more effective than one. PM me and we can get started.

I went out this morning on a friend's non-Parker boat to mid-Stellwagon Bank and south, straight out from Hull or Scituate. Lot of 4 foot waves and was not as good to troll into the wind. No sighting, but whales breaching.

Boat near us left from Hingham, older Bertram 28, to South tip off P-town and were gone longer, about 11 hours and no tuna. Only caught bluefish.

Kind of sloppy wave action. My friend headed out into the shipping lane across from around Cohasset a week ago last Saturday and had them on the surface all around them but nothing they wanted.

Dana

Thanks, Dana. I didn't get out this weekend. Lots of family stuff, weddings, showers, etc.

Some of you guys planning to get together up in Maine or down here in Ma.
If Ma, let me know and I'll try to pass along some info.
I've been hitting them good (footballs and larger ones) both Stellwagen and Chatham.

Back