Performance with 2100 Deep Vee Center Console

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hakr

Reaction score
Out of curiosity, I'm wondering what sort of performance you get out of the deep vee 21 footer with the 150, 200, or 225 four cycle Yamaha.

Assume half a tank of fuel, usual fishing gear and two to three adults aboard.

Best cruise speed with your engine? GPH?

WOT speed? GPH?

Best running RPM with your engine? Speed, RPM?

Thanks!

I have the 1999 version of the 21 DV, as well as a EFI Yamaha 200 HP. I also don't have a fuel-meter, so I can't answer all your questions.

For what its worth, my max speed is 38 knots on the GPS, which, according to Google is 47.8 mph. I am running a 13 3/4 x 17 prop if I remember correctly. I believe that was 3/4 tank of fuel and solo, with typical fishing and safety gear.

Again, without a fuel meter, I have to guesstimate my most efficient RPM.. most people say that is right around 75-80% of WOT for a 2 stroke, which puts me around 4125-4400 RPM. I typically cruise at 4200 RPM and get anywhere from 24-27 knots (27.6 - 31.0 mph) depending on sea state and tides.

I haven't been on a 21DV with a 150HP, but I would recommend going with the 200HP. I think the boat is rated at 225HP, so 200HP seems like its in the sweet spot. I know others have said that a 150HP is ok on the 2120, but if you are running an inlet with a following sea against the tide, you really need to get power when you need it.

Again, going by memory here, but I think I average anywhere from 1.75-2.25 nautical miles per gallon on long trips of 40+ nautical miles.

-- Tom

TomS":todx6aip said:
I have the 1999 version of the 21 DV, as well as a EFI Yamaha 200 HP. I also don't have a fuel-meter, so I can't answer all your questions.

...I haven't been on a 21DV with a 150HP, but I would recommend going with the 200HP. I think the boat is rated at 225HP, so 200HP seems like its in the sweet spot. I know others have said that a 150HP is ok on the 2120, but if you are running an inlet with a following sea against the tide, you really need to get power when you need it.

-- Tom

About 90% of my boating is in Chesapeake Bay, from the Potomac River to Baltimore, on both sides. I've yet to encounter an inlet to run!

But I know whereof you speak. I used to live in NE Florida, and regularly ran some pretty hairy inlets, including a couple closed to navigation.

These days , I usually go out with either just my wife or one or two fishing buddies. The Bay is not a particularly challenging body of water to me, but it has a damned hard chop, and it's rare to be able to comfortably run at better than 20-25 knots in smaller boats most days, no matter how much "vee" you got down there. I know because I have tried it in several brands of boat between 20' and 25'.

So, I believe the 150 will be adequate for my needs. I will trailer occasionally down to Virginia Beach but even there I haven't run into any inlets that seem tricky or difficult.

Thanks for your input.

Yep, must have fat fingered something there.. 38kts = 43.7mph

Thanks for the correction!

-- Tom

TomS":325o1v83 said:
Yep, must have fat fingered something there.. 38kts = 43.7mph

Thanks for the correction!

-- Tom

Euroknots?

:D

Forgot...the other "advantage" of the 150 over the V6 outboards - it weighs about 100 pounds less.

Yup ... ( Knots x 1.15 ) = statute MilesPerHour (mph) for al practical purposes.

Back