Polish and Wax Over New Name?

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GMUGMU

Reaction score
I have completed compounding. The registration numbers are on and new name forthcoming. When polishing and waxing, do I go right over the new name? no big deal? I'm going to be using and orbital polisher with micro fiber bonnets. Thanks to all.

I have completed compounding. The registration numbers are on and new name forthcoming. When polishing and waxing, do I go right over the new name? no big deal? I'm going to be using and orbital polisher with micro fiber bonnets. Thanks to all.
Just my opinion, and how I have always done it; I would error on the safe side, and hand-wax the area over and around the registration numbers and name. I don't know if a machine would or would not cause damage, and/or a corner or edge to pull up from the decals, but why take the chance? For the few extra minutes it would take, I'd hand wax those areas.
After following this thread, I might get one of the machines everyone has talked about. I have always hand-compounded, waxed and polished all my boats. I'm getting to the age where I think the machine makes sense; but I'll still hand-wax around the 'delicate' decals, pin-stripes and boat graphics.

Last edited:
Agree with above.

Compounding is like sanding
Polishing is superfine sanding
Waxing is a protective coating

Therefore you would not want to “polish” decals or numbers at all. Wax coating is fine.

Just my opinion, and how I have always done it; I would error on the safe side, and hand-wax the area over and around the registration numbers and name. I don't know if a machine would or would not cause damage, and/or a corner or edge to pull up from the decals, but why take the chance? For the few extra minutes it would take, I'd hand wax those areas.
After following this thread, I might get one of the machines everyone has talked about. I have always hand-compounded, waxed and polished all my boats. I'm getting to the age where I think the machine makes sense; but I'll still hand-wax around the 'delicate' decals, pin-stripes and boat graphics.

Agree with this. Plus most vinyls are not resistant to the chemical compounds in marine waxes/ polishes.

Back