pop-up cleats and mold

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flydoc

Reaction score
I had the marina switch out the stern cleats for the flushmount pop-up type.
Being a neophyte boater I didn't insist on or even know that these didn;t come woth a backing plate. If you see thephoto below two things are striking...
1) these cleats are held in place by 4 screws into the fiberglass...weak!
Can I put plates in?

AND

2) THAT BLACK STUFF IS MOLD RIGHT? it is also in the bilge how do I clean that stuff?
[/img]

PLATES:
Simple! Remove cleat, which you need to do ANYWAY to make darn sure this job was done properly.

1) TRACE the existing outline and use to make a backing plate. You can use starboard or marine plywood.

2) WET out that wood core of the washboards with epoxy and a small brush, if even using the water-proof 2-part kind. Think no more than 10% with acetone and heat up wood with hair dryer before mixing the 2-part stuff, to warm the wood (allows core to wick up the epoxy better). Do NOT ever warm the epoxy mix.

3) Reinstall cleat with backing plate and use large fender washers on the bolts, plus apply blue waterproof/synthetic marine grease to the threads, like Bombardier's 'Triple Guard' grease. All OB makers sell it, OMC/Bomb sells it for the lowest price.

MOLD:
Wash/clean with Bar Keeper's Friend or even 10% bleach-to-water mixture. This happen because the moisture is being TRAPPED in there. Was this boat shrink-wrapped? If so ... waaaaaaaaaaaay too tight, make sure they put VENTS in place.

Also, air out the boat well, including any deck plates on any day it is warm and temps are going up.

For the amount of mold I see there, I'd put straight bleach in a spray bottle and lightly wet the area under the washboards.
The mold should be gone within 5 minutes. :wink:
If any mold remains after the first application, give it another application until it's gone.

Once all the mold is gone, lightly rinse the undersides with fresh water.
Don't worry if some bleach residue remains, as it will inhibit the growth of any new mold.
Be careful you don't get the bleach on your clothing :!: Trust me. I know about that... :roll:

Back