Portable generator

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

windy

Reaction score
On overnight fishing trips,anchored or drifting we put a big load on our electrical system. Spreader lights,gps,fishfinder,ect. Usually the house battery goes dead[have 3 batterys] and we have to start the engines up to get at least some lights on.
I have a 30 amp battery charger with a shore power connection,so I was thinking of hooking up a portable H0nda 2000 generator with the proper pigtail connection to keep the batterys up. Of course it would be mounted outside.
Has anybody done this or do you know any reason for not doing it.

We've run this one so much that we've put an electric fuel pump on the aux tank outlet to keep her juiced up. We use it for the rooftop air conditioner (or electric heater), microwave and coffee pot. We have also used the 12vdc cable to bring up a dead battery so we could get the engine started.
IMG_6726.jpg

That's where she sits/runs even while underway; there's 2 CO detectors in the cabin.

$860.99 delivered w/ 12vdc cable from:
http://www.thehulltruth.com/store/

whatever you do, DONT GO THE CHEAP ROUTE!!!! learned this the hard way. that $150 generator sounded like another outboard, and the muffler got so hot it singed a hole in the canvas :x :x . this was before it crapped out on us. go for the honda

If you don't need to run an air conditionar get the 1000. Runs for 6hrs+ on a gallon of fuel. Very Quiet and much lighter and smaller than the 2000. I have a couple of hundred hours on mine.

Plattapuss brings up good points regarding the EU1000i. We run one on our other boat. It will power a small air conditioner (or electric heater with a 750watt setting) coffee pot and even a small, low wattage microwave, one unit at a time of course.

http://www.geocities.com/jeff_nicholas/ ... /Air1.html

And I second pelagic2530's recommendation to stick with Honda. When spilled E10 disolved the crankcase gasket on my knockoff after less than 25 hours, I discovered parts/service were non-existant...the importer told me to use gasket in a tube stuff, which I did, only to find out the gasket had provided end clearance for the camshaft, which now would not turn. I cut my own gasket and got her running again, but the bearing on the generator head went out; I took the knockoff to the dump and bought a Honda.

I also have have a 3000i with remote start for my camper, which has been a real workhorse. I swear by those Hondas.

Platt
You say you run an ac on the honda 1000
where did you find ac that dont pull that
many amps?Also where do sit the ac unit
an how bout the generater where it can exhast
w/o leaving a burn mark.If it a moble ac
where do you exhast it? I just got the honda 2000
an it is a little heavy.
thanks

I have had the same idea bouncing around in my head for awhile. I have not hooked this up yet but in theory I believe it will work. If the load is to large I may have to turn off some of the options on the inverter/charger and use them as needed. The Honda only puts out about 16 amps or so.

I am setting up shore power on my 2520. I have a Xantrex Freedom Marine 15 inverter/battery charger along with the Honda 2000.

I am going to set it up so I can just plug the generator into the shore power inlet. This should take care of my battery charging when needed and also run my 110 lights for bait fishing.

Back