porthole windows in pilothouse cabin leak

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can you see if the leak is coming from the window frame to hull surface, or from the seal in the window itself?
If it is coming from the window frame to hull area, I would remove the window, clean up all the mating surfaces, then re-seal the assembly with marine silicone sealant.
If the leak is in the window seal itself... not sure. Maybe replacement seals could be sourced from the window manufacturer?

I think you can tighten up the latches a little to compress the seal. My fathers Ocean has that feature on the square portholes but they are a little different. My Parkers's don't leak yet so I have not looked at the that clasely but I beliect the handles are mounted on a screw latch mechanism. Maybe that will help a little. I'll look at mine a little closer when I go down to the boat.

Mine leaked a bit too where the gasket met the window. I used a fingertip's worth of silicone-based gasket grease to lube up the seal and it hasn't leaked since.

one window on our 2510 wa leaks. i put a piece of cardboard between the latch and glass on one side. the glass may be a bit cockeyed.

anyway this cured the leak. i will probably try to shave off a bit of the base of the latch to bring it closer to the glass. this should allow me to remove the cardboard piece.

I've worried about constant compression of the window seals, so once I toss the full cover onto her, I open the windows. Not only does it take pressure off the seals, it allows air into the cabin. When I remove the cover, I close the windows, and I can tell that the seals take a bit of leverage to compress them in order to close the window. But...I'm on a trailer with a full cover. I'm unusually anal about keeping the sun off the gelcoat, so my experience is probably not transferable.

If you have to take the window out, it's a piece of cake. Mine was a little cooked when I bought the boat so I pulled off the black beauty ring on the outside, then unscrewed the frame on the inside. Pulled it out, repositioned, and siliconed the beauty back in place. That was it.

jim

Back