Possible dumb question...

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TunaJoe

Reaction score
I'm installing my anchor rode and chain today and noticed the two stainless latches inside the locker. These are visible on the right and left sides when the top is opened up.

What the heck are these for? :?:

Aren't they to hold the 2 arms of a Danforth-type anchor??

Yep. I didn't feel like keeping the rust off them so I removed them and got rid of the holes. I installed a small plastic basket to one side to hold my chain chock hardware while the anchor is in use.

jim

Attachments

• IMG_0416.jpg
    IMG_0416.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 641
Once again gentlemen, thanks for your help!
I would have never figured that out....

Another question regarding the anchor locker. The drain hole is sure small. I went to flush out the drain holes and the water filled up the locker and overflowed into the V-berth!
Any of you enlarge the hole?

Joe:

Have not really had any issues with the size of the hole. It can pretty much handle the amount of water that gets in there from rain and the anchor rode.

I do have one suggestion. That small hole in the anchor locker runs to a piece of PVC pipe that runs under the cabin and dumps into the bilge under the battery platform. Take a mirror and look under there....you'll see it. There is also a vertical drain opening in the cabin (in front of the door) that will drain the cabin into the same PVC.

My issue in FL was that critters of all types like to get into the PVC through the drain hole in the anchor locker or cabin. Mostly the anchor locker. Also, contaminants like seaweed, and other crud from the rode likes to accumulate in and around the hole.

Home Depot sells Rain Bird sprinkler products. One of their products has a little screen shaped like a small thimble that fits perfectly into the drain hole in the anchor locker. Keeps crap out of the PVC drain pipe which tends to smell and get roaches and the like in this area.

jim

With a windlass in place, why not modify the anchor locker door on the deck so no water at all goes into the compartment? Keeps chain and line dry too. Keeps it dry when I wash the boat too.

I do not have a windlass, but I still shaped a piece of wood and glued it in place (could have been starboard) to fill the hole the line goes through when one is anchored. See photos at:

http://www.classicparker.com/phpBB2/vie ... highlight=

To see a stainless strainer to put in the floor hole to keep nuts , bolts, etc. out of the bilge see:

http://www.classicparker.com/phpBB2/vie ... highlight=

Why collect any extra water or junk in the bilge that can lead to odors, etc.? Just my holy 2 cents..................Pete

Pete, you're brilliant, and you got me thinking. I just might contact Parker to see if I can get the door without the forward cut-out. If so, I'll fill in the indented area of glass to make ALL the topside water drain around and aft of the opening.

jim

Not to distract, but I do want to protest:

I paid BIG BUCKS for the exclusive rights to ask dumb questions around here, and I think I should file a protest with the forum gods.

:wink:

Every couple of years, I remove the anchor rode, pour some Clorox into the locker, and let it work its way through the drain tube. Mold grows in there, along with the seaweed and mud/sand that comes off the anchor rode.

If it has a hard blockage, you may have to take a wire fish (long SS wire used by electricians) to open the blockage so the Clorox can work through.

Dave

aka

Back