Possible stupid radar mount question.

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TunaJoe

Reaction score
I'm in the process of mounting a Seaview 5" radome mount on my Parker 2520 hardtop and I noticed they included a foam gasket for the install. I was planning on using 5200 or 4200 but now wonder if I should just use the gasket instead. or maybe the gasket and 5200. The gasket doesnt look very durable.
Can anyone help a brotha out??

thanks!

Do not use 5200 to set the mount.
If you ever want to remove it there will be hell to pay.
On the roof I would use 3m 101 with the gasket.
That is what I did on my boat.
Just my $0.02 worth.
Tom

I believe I put a response on THT about this. I used the foam gasket supplied with my radar mount to act as a type of "shock abosrber" to reduce vibration on the radome. I put 4200 around the bolt holes to prevent water intrusion in to the roof of my pilothouse roof.

Thanks guys
Ok, so I'm going to use the 4200 around the bolt holes, but what about the 1.5" hole in the middle to run your radar cable? There will be wood exposed so I could seal this with thinned epoxy resin?
The directions are incredibly weak! I know it's not brain surgery, but I want to do it the correct way. I plan on having the boat for awhile.
We can have some pretty big seas/wind here in Califonia and I can imagine water getting up and around the mount.
Is 3M 101 a silicone sealer?

3M 101 is an above the water sealant, that is why I chose to use it.
As far as the hole in the center by all means coat the core with a thickened epoxy. No need for water intrusion.
On the base of the mount I put a continouos bead of 101 to seal the whole flat plate to the roof of the pilot house.
Tom

[/img]

Attachments

• Port Side.JPG
    Port Side.JPG
    102.1 KB · Views: 367
Thanks Tom!!!
I'm going to go start right now!

Just so everyone knows... the foam gasket is to prevent electrolysis.
I'm sure learning alot about boats... :lol:

Not posting this to disagree with other's advice against using 3M 5200 ... just not that it can easily be removed using the proper solvent, like Anti-Bond 2015.

It does work and work well, we once used it to remove a swim platform off the stern of a boat with zero damage to the gelcoat. Once the Anti-Bond set into the 5200 it was like a knife through .... less than room temp butter ;) .

376970950.jpg

Latest posts

Back