Power, pitch or prop: Update 3

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Keeper

Reaction score
Many thanks to all of you for you assistance as we brought this boat back to life. We have been through many of the things that you recommended. And, we have followed the advice of quite a few others. One of the most useful pieces of advice was: be methodical.

Quick reminder, donated 1998 2520 with a seized 2007 Optimax 225. We cleaned up the boat, made some fiberglass repairs, repaired the engine endlessly, until clear of codes. Our last post was about how the boat wouldn't come up on plane, although the engine seemed to be making power. Well, we have finally got the engine to the place where it is running without coats, playing the boat, making 5500 RPMs. Seemingly running well. New or rebuilt: Rails tested, compression good, injectors cleaned, new oil tank, new fuel filters, new spark plugs, the tracker valve, new belt, rebuilt lower unit, new water fuel sensor, VST cleaned, use the Merck prop selector to stay focused on a three blade 15P prop, replaced an actuator on a bow plane.

Heres the problem: Boat will only make 20 knots, between 4500 RPMs and full RPMs.

Odds are we are left with the only other likely primary problem: the boat is waterlogged. And, we have some indications that point in that direction pretty convincingly:

Weight: after we first dunked the boat, we took it to a junkyard weigh in. The boat and trailer weighed in at approximately 8400 unladen, with what we estimate to be a 1850 pound trailer. Putting it way over any reasonable weight. Since then we have been working on the boat and keeping hatch covers and deck plates open, while we did other repairs. It is not in the water. And, we have been vacuuming water out of the bilges and one under deck compartment we can reach. We weighed it again at exactly the same configuration two weeks ago and it only weighed 8000 pounds. It seems to have lost 400 pounds. We believe the holy sound, as we've bottom painted it carefully. And, after the last three dunking, the aft bilge is dry.

Evidence of water logging: 1. the previous owner repaired the starboard hull below the waterline toward the stern. In order to do that they cut a hole in the deck and dug out the Styrofoam. Put a deck plate over the hole, after effecting the fiberglass repair. It constantly has water in it. We have also taking the advice given here and removed and resealed all the deck plates. 2. Most of the time, when we are removing screwed in items or resetting screws, the holes weep or the sawdust made is damp.

What do we do, short of cutting up the deck, to attempt to dry the boat out further, to enable us to use it this season? If the below deck area was sitting full of water for 4 or five years, one can easily imagine that all the wood is waterlogged. We also have good evidence that every time it rains, despite obvious top side leaking areas, that water is getting down below deck. The deck itself has numerous hairline cracks and heaves that we plan to grind out and fill with fiberglass and cabs.

Hoping you guys can point us towards discussions we haven't been able to find, on this forum, Or, give us direct advice. We have seen some discussion around deck plate Solar vents. The boat also came with a diesel cabin heater. One of the thoughts being that instead of simply moving ambient air from the bow to the stern, that we can use flexible vent pipe to push hot air through the hull for drying purposes. Many of us wonder how the air is going to move to the cells that are closed off.

There has been talk about locating the various ribs and drilling low lying drain holes from the aft and under-cabin bilge, in the hope that the open cell foam. will drain. One other idea was to drill a small access holes, through the deck, toward the aft every under deck compartment, in order to get a slim PVC tube down through the foam to the hull and vacuum out the water.

Please pile on! We are looking for all the help we can get!

Thanks so much for sticking with us!

Here's the link to a folder containing our "in process" photos, if anyone's curious: https://www.icloud.com/sharedalbum/#B0lGRMtznGcovLN

At this point it seems time is your friend. I’d have fans moving air thru all the areas that are accessible to dry those areas out. At some point I would strongly consider cutting the deck and removing and replacing the water logged foam. This would also give you an opportunity to assess the inside of the hull. Bottom line is you have a lot of water trapped below deck that should come out. Heated air may help evaporate it faster but just having air movement is far better than nothing. There are some closed cell compartments under the deck that really no amount of air movement will help to dry. If you do decide to cut open the deck at some point I’d consider either borrowing or purchasing a moisture meter to determine what shape your hull stringers and other structural components are in. If indeed these were submerged for a long period of time it’s good chance that at least some of them may be water logged. If thats the case you might need to look at replacing some of them. From my understanding once foam becomes saturated there is no good way of drying it out well. Perhaps some other members may have some good ideas

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks, Brent and Mhel, for staying tuned in. Regarding a few questions: interestingly, the deck plate it gives us access into one of the foam filled compartments was literally full of water when we got the boat. Standing water, with weeds growing out of the access port itself. But, since we drained it the Styrofoam comes out dry. Now, just constantly seeping water sitting in the two hull channels. Since we've sealed the deck plates, we're not sure what that water is coming from. We are presuming that it is draining slowly out of the foam.

Another update: we had a bow plane come off. Mostly, because the screws had rotted inside the fiberglass. Many of them just cracked off. We patch the holes with fiberglass and Cabosil. When we went to redrill them, they dripped quite a bit of water. Maybe cup or two. So, we went ahead and drilled a couple of other holes along the bottom of the transom down by the hall. They dripped, as well. Then, we push some compressed air into holes above the waterline and water misted out. And the transom is bulging from the compressed air. Meaning, it's delaminated from the wood underneath. The upshot is that we think that if we take the deck up, that the bulk of the wood below the deck will be compromised, including the transom and the side hulls. In other words, not worth repairing.

As to Brents question, I have to admit that I don't know what it means to have the prop spun.

From what your describing (between the transom and hull) it sounds like some major work is required to maintain the basic structural integrity of your vessel. Considering these vessels are upwards of 80k new you have a tough decision to make. Is it worth the repairs or not. As far as a dollar amount to do the needed work it’s not ridiculously high but you will have a ton of hours into the project before it’s finished. I replaced the core and re glassed the roof on my 2320 over the winter and I’d estimate I had about 80-100 hours into that alone. Now that being said I am a rookie with no previous fiberglass experience and looking back I could easily cut that time in half. To do the repairs “correctly” I’d say both the deck and the transom would need to be opened up, dried out and repaired. Myself I’d not trust a vessel with that level of delamination and water saturation. If you do decide to move ahead with the project please keep posting and take lots of pictures. I myself enjoy reading the restoration threads.

c8a66a27a58d4d6d1a06b250ae38753e.jpg

cfdaa713bd7443531aceb5514e7db9bc.jpg

c3c53c1363162d0ba6c9861f26c2e75e.jpg

These pictures are from my ‘94 2520 which I and others worked on extensively this past winter. As you can see the tank spaces were pretty sodden. I would guess, from the conditions you’ve described, your below deck areas would look very similar. In my opinion there is no way you’d be able to dry them out. The foam once wet will continue to suck up whatever moisture will seep in. Over time glas cracks and shifts, caulk/sealant dries out and moisture will find its way in. The only way to ensure you get it all out is to take the deck up, pull all the foam out, fix any wet/broken/cracked stringer and replace the foam and deck with new, dry materials. Opening small holes or access plates to the wet areas will only give limited access and you’d need an inordinate amount of time to “dry” those spaces and you’d still never be sure you got it all.

Disheartening advice. But, rings true. You guys have given us a lot to think about, as always. So grateful that CP is here and that you are all so willing to help.

Will keep you posted.

My '95 2530 - Full of fuel [2-74gal tanks] Ground tackle on.....DF -300APX weighs 7600lbs.

Way back when we got the boat....Original '95 Yamaha 250...... Then spent $2K on it to get it in tip top shape We were just starting to do some prop testing ,when other boat sold and repowered.

Here's my point..... Your 225 is Not enough motor!

That old Carbuarted '95 250 Yamaha hardly had enough Balls. We were grinning from ear to ear with the way the Suzuki DF300APX made the boat come Alive!

I just drove a Suzuki 300 this weekend for the first time. I’m pretty sure it’s a 2009 model on a 24 Persuit Walk Around. Electronic controls also. I was very impressed with the motor. Smooth and quiet with good torque feel/hole shot.

Back