Price Check - Service for water is fuel ???

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SamR

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Second outing of the season and after a fuel pump replacement a month ago, I got a check engine light and eventually stalled out. She cranked (new batteries) but would not turn over. Sounded like a fuel problem. Long tow back to port and fast forward...

Verbatim service report:
Diagnostic test - code for water in fuel / fuel contaminated. Replace boat and engine fuel filters. Purge engine fuel system of contaminated fuel. Pump fuel from fuel tank. Clean fuel tank. Replace gasket for fuel gauge sender. Run + test engine. Clear stored service codes.

Fuel disposal
36 gallons
$288

Six hours labor
$600

Parts
$76.84

Hazfree
$15

Tax
$4.59

Invoice total $984.43

Does this level of expense and time jive with what others know about water in fuel problems? The shop just did the work and did not call after diagnostics. The amount of time on the job surprised me. Not being able to clean or save any of the fuel surprised me. Prior to the last trip, I had pumped in 20 gallons of regular at a name brand station on RT 24. :?:

Sounds like a lot of labor time, but I have no specific experience with that type of situation. I would ask for an explanation of the labor if an itemized bill was not included.

I think you got hosed!
$8.00/gal to dispose of $4.00 fuel?
Lots of expensive mechanic time for what they did. I'd think a lot of the time was spent by someone other than a shop mechanic - probably the gofor guy at close to minimum wage.
I'd have an intense conversation with the shop manager or owner.
I guess I'm glad to have my carburated Yamaha 150 rather than the computer driven stuff out now. They are pretty tolerent of a little water in the gas that may get by the separator/filter.

they stuck me for 640 for pump out and 175 for new filter w/drain
for my 1800 jack

You got hosed.....on fuel disposal and labor. I did the same job myself last year and total time spent was about 4 hours.
I am NOT a professional mechanic so their time should be less.

And I think I'd ask for the reciept from the fuel disposal company.
My bet is it went in their cars and trucks after they had let it settle out.

Thanks for the replies everyone. I did ask for paperwork on the fuel disposal, but was told that it was dumped into communal barrels which were picked up by Clean Harbors periodically. There would be no paperwork on my specific job. I asked if they could tell me if it was salt or fresh water in the tank. I was told they could not tell, though had I taken a sample it could have been tested, not possible now, I didn't pull the fuel. The gasket on the sender was a possible culprit and I buy that given the rain we have had and I had left the cooler seat off it's base in the rain, which I never do. The base retains water and the deck plate to the sender is inside it.

I have done well by this shop for five years and they have a good rep, but this last trip gives me pause. Nobody I have told this story to has bought the expense and more importantly, the shop was not able to sell me on it.

I will follow up with them this week but I would appreciate any further comments or suggestions.

Well, why I agree you got stung quite a bit, here's my opine. My biggest beef would have been that they didn't call me with the diagnosis.That would have given me or you the option to clean/purge the fuel tank ourselves, specially where that is on a trailer.

Now to their defense, they'd have no idea what you would do with the fuel or that you would properly dispose of it, so while I applaud any concern for the environment (of which I may be reading too much into ...) I would still be pissed that the owner didn't even have the option to assist in the decision, nevermind the remedy.

You could also call Clean Harbors and see in fact if there are 'communal containers' for waste fuel, as that really sounds fishy to me. I know that with lead disposal, the one who had it is on the hook even if the disposal company throws it in the river ... meaning, there MUST be a maintained paper trail of the disposal, even if to a 3rd party vendor.

I would not had had issues with 4-hours labor and the option to dispose of the fuel myself, as that would have cut the bill in half. Then again, that would have interrupted their service and then they'd have to wait for you to do your stuff, then they'd have to get back to the motor. So remember too, that these dealers are used to boat owners coming in and laying out $$ as fast as possible just to get their boat back on the water as fast as possible. Starting and stopping jobs hurts their business and pisses off customers, though you got hit with the by-product of this business practice.

So while I really can't fault them for their effort (and hopefully performance), IMHO they sure flunked "Client Communications 101". I'd take Jack aside and talk to him, calmy and rationally. Ask him pointedly, "Why didn't you call me? If I knew I had bad fuel, I could have taken care of it. And as a customer, I would have wanted that option."

Who knows, if you paid by credit card, you might have claims for some restitution. You need to find out at least 2 or 3 things:
#1 - Are boat dealers, like auto mechanics 'by law', supposed to call you AFTER the diagnosis and BEFORE the work commences?

#2 - If Yes to #1, are they supposed to save the old parts too? Could be a claim they didn't provide any proof of the suspect fuel or the subsequent disposal thereof.

#3 - If you know Marvin from FFSW, get ahold of him and find out regs/rules for fuel disposal (or PM for his info) and/or call Clean Harbors. Make up a fake story ... i.e., boat on trailer, have suspect fuel, friend told me there are 'communal barrels' you could dump it in, even say 3A Marine ...

Getting any $$ back will clearly severe your future relations with them, but if you go that route, I'd personally go for the purchase price AND the disposal cost of the fuel, plus 2-hours labor. Then too, you could just suck it up and move on ... not an easy decision. But a lesson learned for all, albeit at your expen$e.

Dale seems to hit this right on. I have had my boat serviced twice and have specifically asked for a phone call for any work that would be over an above what I had asked for. I give them my cell number so they have no chance of getting no answer. Both times when it comes time to pick up the boat there are $200-$300 worth of stuff done with out a phone call.

For instance the last time I picked up the boat which was in on a warranty issue they replaced both batteries, sort of. On the bill was a $200.00 charge for batteries. I didnt get a call, I didnt get to choose what type of battery was installed and I didnt get to opt to do the work myself. When I griped the service manager told me that they didnt charge me for installation and that they could "take them out if I didnt want them" and that "my old batteries were thrown out". When I hitched up the boat and drug it home I climb into the boat and find two brand new batteries sitting on the deck and an old piece of crap battery hooked up to my battery switch. I guess that is why they "didn't even charge me for installation"

They are a good shop and their work is nice and clean but thier communication is terrible. When your business is service then comunication should be job 1.

I have been paying $450.00 for fuel polishing at my location. I keep the fuel. Takes him about 4 hours on site. Removes the gunk and water. BTW, he has generously tested the water each time, by tasting it, and it is always fresh.

Service guys get a varying amount depending on how far into the fuel system they have to go to get the contaminants. Somewhere between $250.00 and $500.00 each time. They get $95.00/hour (5 Star Yamaha service center) plus parts.

The external filters I change myself and I can now do the VST myself.

For the full lowdown on my fuel saga you can do a search.

Bottom line is you paid about what I have paid for a typical event in here in So Cal. The fact that your service people didn't notify/discuss with you is another matter entirely.

Jeff

Update....

Either mechanics follow these forums or someone dropped a dime because I got a call from my marine shop yesterday. I had a good talk with their customer service manager, who apologized for the lack of communication. I reassured him that this was the first time I had questioned anything they had done for me, due fully to the sticker shock and communication. Bouncing issues like this off of the Classic Parker members is something I will continue to rely on. Thank you very much to all who chimed in.

Here is where I stand.

- I trust this shop still and will continue to use them.

- I buy the story in full

- I will expect the same service and communication I have had in the past, this last one was an exception.

One point I did make is that it would be helpful if mechanics, shop owners, etc, posted on these forums, letting people know about industry trends. I am not alone in the fuel pump and water in fuel saga.

Back