Primary Purpose you use your radar

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SommerTime

Reaction score
I have been pondering about getting a radar as versus a side scan depth/fish finder. Do you use your radar primarily for detecting storms, boat traffic, boats fishing, etc?

I use mine for navigation. I never want to go back to running in the dark without it. Also have been out during spring rockfish trolling when I couldn't see my planer boards through the fog. With all the boats in the area I still felt fine and trolled until the fog lifted. I only have a Garmin 18HD and it doesn't pick up birds very well; if you want to pick up birds I think you are going to want to get an open array.

SommerTime":15cjnnul said:
Do you use your radar primarily for detecting storms, boat traffic, boats fishing, etc?
All 3 for me and if I had a powerful open array, I would add to find flock of birds that are on toona, but out of visual ID range to the naked eye.

TIP: Run your radar ALL the time you can, in good weather, then you'll know what to see on screen, and what to expect to see or TO INTERPRET what's on the screen, when the waste matter hits the ventilators.

Personally, if not going open array, look into the newer "broadband" radar technology from Simrad and others ...

x2 all 3..... I do not have it on my current boat, plan on getting it once a few other projects are completed around the house. It is great to track storms, boating at night, once you have it you know what you are missing,when you don't.

Thanks for all the replies. I am going to have to look into the broadband and open array. I don't know the difference in capabilities and price. I was curious about the capability of the units in fog. I retired from the Federal Aviation Agency as a radar tech if you get high enough in frequency fog becomes a problem if I remember correctly. I am 73 and maybe my memory is failing.
Thanks everyone.

I was out today and I was wishing I had a Radar system. The fog was real thick and the the radio chatter about boats not seeing each other was even thicker.

I fish/troll the Chesapeake Bay along the shipping channel's in the fall when a fog can roll down the Bay about anytime in the morning. On one occasion, the fog settled in where we and any number of other boats were fishing. That was bad enough, but then we heard the "fog horns' of a couple of freighters...thoughts of ("fear and loathing in Las Vegas" and the monkeys settled in) well, decided right then and there I'm buying a radar.
We utilized the GPS to locate the nearest channel marker, and hugged the outside of the marker. I can tell you we did feel safer, but I guarantee you, the cheeks will still tighten up when these big boys guys appear out of the mist and pass by....

Since then, found a great 4KW Furuno Unit on ebay that allows me to locate birds as well.

SommerTime":18fium3p said:
I am going to have to look into the broadband and open array. I don't know the difference in capabilities and price. I was curious about the capability of the units in fog.
My $0.02 'primer' on radars ...

Broadband - Even the 3G models will give OUTSTANDING target identification AND separation (so 2 boats don't look like 1 big one) at lowest ranges in rain and fog, which is really WHEN you need radar! And in fog or the dark, you shouldn't be going fast anyway ...

Open Array- Gives you more power (and expen$e) and both target separation AND distance, due to the power. At a cost ... if/how you fish you don't need/want to find flocks of flying bird on fish, e.g., shearwaters ... then IMHO ... forget it.

NOTE - Storms show up on the farthest ranges, of even 16 and 20-mikes units, due to the sheer size AND height!

Due to the curvature of the earth, you won't pick up a boat past 8 or 10 miles, if that, due to the height of your sending antenna, that of the receiving target, and then back to the source radar.

So as far radars go, height really matters!

Like trim tabs and color GPS plotter ... once I finally got them (or a suitable boat to put them on) I sure will NEVER have a boat without them again!

I got the Garmin 4210 came with boat and added a Garmin 24in H.D. radome for fog and night nav and also use it on my overlay nav system just to keep up on it.

I recently installed a Lowrance 3G unit on my 2120. I was amazed at how well it worked at very close range running at night. I've had some close calls with small boats/kayaks fishing near bridges with no lights at night. This will easily pick them up. I was surprised as I could see something (testing during daylight) on the radar about 1 mile out but could not see it with my eyes. When I got closer and saw that it was a buoy I was sold! I also have used it to give me an idea on where there might be a fleet of boats our fishing and it worked great.

One other major plus was being able to pick up fish nets on the Bay at night. These things don't have any chart/light markings and are a real hazard. They show up as a large line on my radar and are a real safety plus.

I don't regret the investment one second. Best addition I've done for the boat.

Steve

Back