Probably a dumb question.... checking my oil.

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TunaJoe

Reaction score
So awhile back I had a problem with some oil dripping down the lower unit that I posted up here.
Cleaned it up and no problem since.

Checked the lower unit oil level yesterday (it was fine)along with the engine oil (2007 F250 4 stroke) level and found that the engine oil level was past the "full" mark on the dip stick.
Apparently the certified Yammie mechanic can't count and put too much oil in on my 20 hour service.
This was checked with the engine level and cold.
My question is this: can this cause a problem?
And if so, what is the best way to drain some of the oil?

Thanks!

There was an issue some time back with certain models "making oil" that was resolved in a Yamaha service bulletin.
Your Yamaha mechanic should have access to those service bulletins and a simple resolution to your problem.

On top of the "making oil" issue with the F-115, some of the models need to be raised and lowered before checking the oil...seems oil gets trapped in the block, the dipstick reads low, and people are over-filling.

Before checking the oil, raise the motor as high as it will go, wait 30 seconds, lower, and then check.

I also check the oil when it is warmed up...mostly at the end of the day at the same time I'm flushing the blocks with fresh water.

Dave

aka

Porkchunker":2c0waysu said:
On top of the "making oil" issue with the F-115, some of the models need to be raised and lowered before checking the oil...seems oil gets trapped in the block, the dipstick reads low, and people are over-filling.

Before checking the oil, raise the motor as high as it will go, wait 30 seconds, lower, and then check.
aka

Ding Ding Ding believe we have a winner here. I have twin F115's on my Parker 2320. I have also found that raising a motor for 30 seconds and then lowering it before I check the oil gives an accurate reading. If I don't raise the motor the oil level reads low. So what happened to me was that before I learned to raise the motor before I checked the oil level was that I was adding oil when I really didn't need to do so and at some point it began to look like my engine was "making oil".

Mark W

the only way to get an accurate reading on the dip stick of a Yamaha f250, assuming the engine is level, pull the dip stick to break the air tight seal. wipe it and insert again. pull it again and the level on the stick is the accurate level. the important thing is to break the air tight seal.

to answer your question.....yes, running any engine with too much oil can damage the engine.

Thanks guys.

I guess I'll get one of those oil sucking things and bring it down to correct things.

Looks like I'll be learning to service my outboard....

Back