Problem with alarm/buzzer on ignition switches going off

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skipperhub

Reaction score
My 2520 is equipted with two 115hp 4 stroke Yamahas.
I have warning buzzers connected to each ignition switch that will go off on either ignition switch if, for instance, I crank the engine and it decides to shut of again. I am not sure what other functions the buzzers have. It is possible that they are also indicators for such things as overheating etc. I can't find any reference to them in my maintenance book, I assume, because they are not exactly engine components.
Recently the buzzers have decided to start going off, or keep buzzing after the engines are cranked and running. Oil is good, water pumps are working, engines crank immediately and are running fine.
I know this is a mechanical question about Yamaha equipment rather than the actual boat itself but I was hoping someone might have had a similar experience and what the conclusion was.
I pull light maintenance on my motors (bought the book) after I realized that the Yamaha shop was charging me almost $500 a motor to change out fluids and not much more. Batteries were not serviced. Lub points were not taken care of. Electrical problem with navigation lights never resolved until I figured out how to fix them myself. etc. I hate going into the shop with a problem that they are going to charge me an arm and a leg to fix and discover that it is something simple like a clogged filter.
Any thoughts?

A buzzer is usually activated by either low oil pressure or quantity (four versus two stroke) over temperature or water in the fuel warning.

Some early filter cups were known to have problematic sensors.

The water in the fuel filter cup is peculiar in that it is only heard when the shift lever is in the neutral position.

This should all be explained in the owner's manual.

Back