Problem with my SHURflo Bait/Livewell Pump

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MacFern

Reaction score
My baitwell pump stopped working so I checked the wires and have power at the pump, so I figure the pump went bad (manufactured in 2004). I removed the pump and just to double check I touched the wires coming off the pump to the battery - and the pump worked. So then I connected the pump back to the correct wires and nothing. Am I missing something here? Also any recommendations on a replacement if needed? I have the Bait Sentry 1100.

Hey check your ground it sound like a bad ground or if you have more then one battery check the switcher box it will get corroaded? Tom

I guess what I am confused about (among many things electrical) is that my voltmeter is showing 12.6 volts at the wires the pump was connected to, which is the state of my battery at the moment. If there was a bad ground would I still get this reading?

I thought about this some more and realized that if the pump was not broken, and was receiving the correct voltage then the pump would have to work. So I rechecked the voltage and now it's showing 11.8. So based on that I guess I have some bad wiring, like Tomt said. I was looking through posts about electrical problems and came across Maxout's issue with the Molex style connector in the starboard quarter. I figure I'll start there, but if anyone has a better idea on how to find the problem I'm all ears - don't know much about this. Also since the pump is 5 years old should I replace it anyway?

Mac........if you got 5 yrs out of that thing you did good. the easy thing would be to go ahead and try a one new first. I upgraded my Shurflo to the 1100 gph cartridge. i have the 800 gph unit if you want it.......free. PM me if it is applicable to your situation.

Mac, as to the pump, I had a couple of those in my boat and they start making a lot of noise before they go bad. Depends on how much you use them. If yours is quiet still, I would check the wiring first. I had that same issue with that connector.

Thanks for that tip John. My pump was very loud for the past 1-2 years. I wasn't sure if that was normal or not. Anyway, I am installing a new (used) one that Jim gave me, and I am going to remove that connector. Hopefully issue solved.

i've also found that if you rotate the cartridge it can quiet down a bit. also the other thing that works, and was even an issue with my brand new cartridge, is how tight you srcew it down before you put the little keeper screw in. mine was making a tolerable racket, but when i loosened up the cartridge slightly..........it got pleasantly quiet. :)

The new pump is in and works great, but the problem did turn out to be the molex style connector that Maxout was concerned about. So if you have not checked this connector or replaced it, you may want to inspect on occasion. I checked mine when the issue was originally posted and it did not look too bad - ended up being a little worse than I thought.

Jim, thanks for the pump. I am sure mine was about done.

Back