Proud New 2320

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BillC

Reaction score
New to the forum, happy to find this! Found a one year old 2320 SC SL with a Yam. 225hp (hope that's enough) that we are adding options including anchor windlass and radar. The radar may be delayed - need to see if we really need it. Intend to fish the Chesapeake Bay and probably not alone so do we really need radar? Windlass - yes!
Thanks, now need to explore...
BillC

I realize I was ordered off of the forum but I thought I should show the boat - we haven't even named her yet. 1st photo is at home - second is ready and hooked up to come home. I thought this was a discussion forum - but it turns out to be something else.
Good bye

Attachments

• She's HomeBl.jpg
    She's HomeBl.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
  • ShowroomTransport1.jpg
    ShowroomTransport1.jpg
    141.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
New to the forum, happy to find this! Found a one year old 2320 SC SL with a Yam. 225hp (hope that's enough) that we are adding options including anchor windlass and radar. The radar may be delayed - need to see if we really need it. Intend to fish the Chesapeake Bay and probably not alone so do we really need radar? Windlass - yes!
BillC
Hi BillC, Welcome to Classic Parker, and congrats on your new 2320; you have a great boat there!....
There's a fine line between 'want' and 'need'; in reality, the only thing we really need is our next breath of air! But 'want' is a whole 'nother' issue! ☺.... When it comes to boat equipment, like radar and windlass," If you never had sugar in your coffee, you wouldn't know to miss it"... We've had many boats since the 1970's. (16', 18', 22', 27' 35' +) None of those boats had radar, nor a windlass. Thanks to a great 'first owner' of our Parker, we now have both radar and a windlass, for the first time.... I would not want to be without either of them. The radar is more useful than I ever imagined. And, at my present age, the windlass has shown to be worth it's weight in gold. When I was a youngster, dragging a 40 lb anchor with 40' feet of 3/8" chain on to the boat was no big deal. Now, the 22 Delta with smaller chain and rode is more than I like to mess with.... You'll get different opinions here on CP about what equipment is needed, or wanted; all is well-meaning, in the spirit of folks trying to help out....

Last edited:
Andy, Thanks for the reply. You hit the nail on the head - I'm no longer a 'youngster' so the windlass will be installed. Radar - probably will be too.

Looks to be - Gelcoat unblemished and shiny. No grub in the bilge. Only 'problems' are dealer stickers on boat and motor, and name painted on the transom.

Hey BillC, you purchased a great boat for the Chesapeake. One of my saddest days was selling my 2320 a year ago.

As for Windlass, a great to have if you plan to anchor often, it's a real pain in the butt to not have one on a boat that size. As stated above, radar is a very nice to have also, but not necessarily required. It really depends on your intended use. If you plan to troll a lot, which is what I did, radar along with autopilot is a great addition to your boat. If you always plan to have plenty of fellow fishermen ob board with you, it's not necessary but I real nice to have. I have had many boats on the Bay and Potomac and probably enjoyed my 2320 more than any of them. Great for the waters you fishing. Best of luck.

Thank you Gar! Now I'm looking for a 4x4 pickup. Have a Ram 1500 4x2 5.7L but I'm afraid of some the ramps around here. Dry storage would probably be most convenient but the two closest are 45 minutes away. I would drink up all the beer in that length of time! (just kidding - I don't drink beer; only bourbon.)

BillC

I have both RADAR & windlass on my boat. For what I do with my boat the RADAR is absolutely mission essential. I simply cannot do what I do with my boat without RADAR.

RADAR = must have.

I installed the windlass on Parker 2520 in 2006 when I bought the boat. The windlass functions as it should. I anchor a lot in the Fall during Tautog Fishing Season. Typically requiring multiple anchor drops and retrievals a day. I almost never use the windlass anymore. I find an anchor ball retrieval system to be superior in all respect. Faster, easier to use, it’s just better.

Almost everyone who buys a Parker Pilothouse wants to put a windlass on it, including myself. After running my boat since 2006 with a functional windlass, I am in the camp of a windlass being unnecessary and just another system that requires maintenance.

RADAR & anchor ball all the way.....

Pellet, how does the anchor ball work? I've been sheltered and never heard of it...

Pellet, how does the anchor ball work? I've been sheltered and never heard of it...

Google

“anchor ball retrieval system”

and then select videos, there are a bunch of videos explaining & demonstrating how they work.

Fully agree with MP, I've been double anchoring and retrieving with 2 balls, if solo only single anchor.

Very easy to pull the rode in with the anchor hanging in the ball once lifted, will also help getting out if you hang one is some nasty crap.

Radar, while I went many years without radar the puke factor in the dark wasn't as bad as those foggy days. Some days I couldn't leave the dock or had to leave later. Sometimes get caught in some major fog that just rolls in off the ocean as well.

If I had a choice I would go with radar before windlass for now.

The anchor ball retrieval system is scientific (basic physics), simple to perform and efficient - and no doubt costs about $3500 less than a windlass and its installation. Thanks for that! Darn shame I have already paid to have a windlass installed... It's a 'should have, could have' situation. I found this forum just a few days late! I need to 'kick in' now for sure!!!

The anchor ball retrieval system is scientific (basic physics), simple to perform and efficient - and no doubt costs about $3500 less than a windlass and its installation. Thanks for that! Darn shame I have already paid to have a windlass installed... It's a 'should have, could have' situation. I found this forum just a few days late! I need to 'kick in' now for sure!!!
WHile I completely agree with @Mpellet on the virtues of anchor ball retrieval system, it works best in combination with windlass!

My wife asked me where we would carry the ball... I'm still stinging from how I answered her. I'll need the windlass too now since I'll be accompanied on the boat by only a buoy ball. ;)

I also recommend the E-Z Anchor Puller.
I anchor from 1 - 4 or more times every time I go out. I haven't sent a crew to the bow since I installed it.
Sealed up the holes going into the chain locker -- no more wet rode coming into the boat.
I give it a 20-second squirt with the hose when I come in for the day.
Most rewarding money I've spent on the boat.

Boat: Parker 2530.
EZ-3 "Patriot"
300' x 3/8" 3-strand nylon.
20' x 5/16" chain.
Rocna 10 (22-pound) anchor.

Back