Purpose of tarping?

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

96TL

Reaction score
I didn't tarp my boat last year. In the spring, it was pretty dirty, but it cleaned up back to new condition with a little elbow grease.

Parker pilothouses don't have any seats, cushions, carpets, etc, outside of the pilothouse. So what are we trying to protect by tarping or shrink wrapping? Trying to keep it clean? Keep the critters out? Protecting it from debris?

The reason I ask is because I'm thinking of leaving it open again this year, but if theres some reason for covering it that I dont know about, maybe I'll reconsider. My dealer tells me its fine to leave it open. They leave the brand new boats wide open all winter right in the lot. He might just be saying whatever it takes to keep me happy though

Thanks. 8)

For me, there are predominantly 2 reasons, with #1 way ahead in importance.

#1 - Minimize or prevent chalking of the frp gloss due to constant UV exposure.

#2 - I can open all of the windows, deck plates, and the door and the cabin, hull, and bilge ventilates all winter long. No moisture build-up, as can happen with closed windows like you're suggesting and can happen worse under a 'tight'shrink-wrapping job.

Hmm, definitely something to think about.

One more question. Do you wax the hull now, or in the spring?

Thanks Dale. 8)

96TL":3rxoyi9m said:
Do you wax the hull now, or in the spring?
Have done all 3! Nothing beats 2 coats of wax on a hull, that's for sure! If I get to it in the Fall, before it gets to cold - I do, but if I don't - I don't worry about it. I'll still wax in the Spring regardless ... and I don't wax anymore, I use Rejex click here.

Rejex.jpg

I find it goes on much faster, lasts as good as Collenite Fleet wax, but has a much higher shine. TomS turned me on to it.

Sounds like a good product. Do you apply it by hand or with a buffer? Also, do you use any kind of "cleaner" wax before the Rejex?

Thanks Dale!!!!!!!

I apply by hand and will remove typically by hand (like the shoulder weorkout) or a random orbital buffer to be somewhat 'faster'. It must be cleaned beforehand and I just use a generic sudzy 'boat wash' stuff.

In addition to the reasons listed by Dale the tarp keeps snow and ice off.

Assuming global warming hasn't moved the sunbelt to New York, snow and ice will cover your boat. In late winter when it starts to warm up during the day, or on a freakishly warm day in mid-winter, the snow/ice melts and the run off seeps into joints, cracks and other openings. When the air temperature cools at night the water freezes, expands and most likely will crack the gel coat and eventually the fiberglass.

For the first couple of years you probably won't notice it. Over time, you'll shave years off the life of your boat.

I'm surprised the dealer doesn't cover new boats during the off season.

Dale,
Question on Rejex......Website says to re-apply after 4-6 months...
Do you personally use it on the exterior hull? I sometimes splash in March and pull in Dec. I have only ever used Collonite cleaner and fleetwax and have been very satisfied. Does this compare?

I was wondering about the need for tarping too. My boat is out of the water for only 4 months. In fact, the last time I covered it the tarp rubbed on some spots of the hull and wore away the bottom paint.

For just a few months, why cover her up? FWIW, I've seen some shrunk-wraped boats that sweat on warm days. Lots of moisture is trapped inside, which can't be a good thing.

I have not covered my boat in the last three seasons. That said, where my boat is stored there are no trees and the area is fairly clean. I make sure the boat is stored bow high so water drains. If and when it snows I make sure to visit the boat and clear away the snow and ice. The boat does not get winterized until the end of December and I begin to clean and get ready the beginning of March. I have noticed that the boat is cleaner when not covered - rain seems to wash the dirt off the deck. I guess it depends how long the boat will be out of the water. Oh, by the way, I do but a good coat of wax on all metal items.

I pulled mine last week and was planning on winterizing this weekend but there is about 4 inches of snow on it. I wash and wax it. A few years ago I framed out two 4 x 8 sheets of plywood and lay them over the Gunwhales in the cockpit and put a tarp over that (Fits perfect for a 2510). This keeps all the leaves and snow out of the cockpit. Then I cover the hard top to the bow with another tarp.

96TL":1n7wz2wi said:
So what are we trying to protect by tarping or shrink wrapping? Trying to keep it clean? Keep the critters out? Protecting it from debris?

You are a bit further South than I am, but the primary reason I always cover is ice. There are always a few weeks every winter up here when there is a foot or two of snow on the ground and the temps fluctuate during the day enough to compress and build up a solid glacier of ice in the bed of my pickup. :shock:

The snow on top gets crusty, and there are a few inches of solid ice on the bottom as we go through freeze/thaw cycling. I figure that if the bed of my truck (which gravity-drains like the cockpit of my Parker) can accumulate this nasty solid slug-plug of ice and snow, then the cockpit of my Parker would fare no better. :(

IMO tarping is an inexpensive, easy-to-install, "breathable" bit of insurance against UV, debris, critters, and any possible negative effects of ice and snow buildup. It's one of the simplest maintenance events I perform all year, with a high return on investment. :wink:

Then again,, if I lived a litte further South, I might not have the ice worry.

8) 8)

I tarp to keep the UV off the fiberglass thus keeping the boat looking new and reducing maintenance. Pics of the frame and tarp are in the projects folder.

I also keep a summer cover on her for the same reason.

Dave

aka

Back