Question before I drill a 2 inch hole in my hull

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

esfishdoc

Reaction score
I've got a Furuno Temp/speed sensor that I will be mounting in a through hull fashion requiring a 2" hole.

I am under the assumption that my Parker is not a cored hull and that it would be considered solid.

Am I correct?

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks.

Richard

Not cored, but do you really want to bore a 2" hole to get these functions ?

The "speed" function is best supplied by your GPS, Loran, or pickup on your outboard. Temp is generally supplied via your sounder transducer, generally requiring a much smaller hole.

Think it through, why are you adding those particular functions in that fashion ?

PaulH / Emily S":1n9muq0g said:
Not cored, but do you really want to bore a 2" hole to get these functions ?

The "speed" function is best supplied by your GPS, Loran, or pickup on your outboard. Temp is generally supplied via your sounder transducer, generally requiring a much smaller hole.

Think it through, why are you adding those particular functions in that fashion ?

Simple answer....

I don't care about the speed through the water function but it comes along with the temp sensor.

I have a shoot through the hull transducer so that is not going to work for the temperature

And yes... I want to drill a 2" hole in my hull!

Richard

Richard,

Is that the Airmar CS4500 Ultrasonic Speed Sensor?
http://www.airmartechnology.com/airmar2 ... PageNo=131

CS4500_housing.jpg

Those things are wicked accurate.
Great for toona fishing. :wink:

esfishdoc":2upmzz29 said:
I am under the assumption that my Parker is not a cored hull and that it would be considered solid.
Great question! Alas ... I don't know the answer but am very interested in the real deal. I wonder if they perhaps 'cored' or laid up the boats differently in different vintage years :?: ?

The hull bottom is solid glass, not cored (which is why your shoot-thru transducer works). So, drill away if you want.

As an FYI, you can attach an external temp sensor with a Y-adapter (it is a small metal disk - looks a bit like a US quarter). I glued one of those using 4200 to the outside of my transom. Works well, feeds temp to my Garmin display.

The Airmar thru hull is a more high-tech solution, and has broader functionalitry, just wanted you to know there is a pretty simply, low tech solution available as well. I bought my temp sensor from Jim at BOE.

How does a temp sensor glued to transom work while on plane ?

If it only works at idle, looks like it would take a long, looooong time to spot temp breaks !

danielb":fy7ru2r0 said:
The temp sensor is really a waste, since you are only reading the temperature of the surface water and you fish down near the bottom or midway in the water column.
Temp. sensor on my stern mounted transducer works but I don't pay to much attention to nor the speed wheel which by the mid summer is a home for sea life (no matter how much antifouling paint you put on it).

Temperature of the water can be an important piece of data for offshore fishing. Before I go out I study sea surface satellite information ( Rutgers is a good site: http://marine.rutgers.edu/mrs/sat_data/ ... nothumbs=0 ) and use some software overlays with that information to plan my fishing around temp breaks when possible. Knowing where to look for the break and then actually finding it can be very rewarding. It’s a big ocean out there so when I’m burning 60 to 80 gallons of gas I like better odds than “a needle in a haystack”.

I am also trolling on the surface so it is useful to know if all the YFT bites are coming in 70 degree water and none in the surrounding 67 degree water.

One mans’ waste is another’s treasure.

Richard

While minor variations in temperature might not be as important in the way many of us fish, that CS4500 is head and shoulders above most transducer temp sensors when it comes to offshore tuna hunting... and that is a huge advantage.

It's sorta like the difference between a new Mustang Cobra... and that little Mustang that John Force drives. :D
One is great... but the other is awesome! :wink:

Phil%20Seymour%201.JPG

From the link, looks like the CS 4500 only records speed ?

Guess it really is like a Mustake...promises more than it can deliver ? :lol:

small block Chevy, 50 years of domination :wink:

Back