Question on pilot house and sea sick

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

camron

Reaction score
So I finally purchased a 2120 parker with the pilot house. Turns out my wife is getting sea sick when inside the cabin. Has any one else experienced this?

I've been seasick all over the North Atlantic! But you didn't give us much info. Has she been seasick before? Or did it suddenly start when she was inside all the time? Is it every trip or just rough days? Are you getting exhaust fumes in the cabin (trust that will do it every time)?

Usually in the fog she would get seasick but never on the boat unless sitting still and rocking. I boat with her mainly in the great South bay on long island. No exhaust fumes are getting in the cabin. So far it has been every trip.

Thanks for the help

I get sea sick when I go in the cabin when the boats rocking.. I'm fine in or outside when the boats on the move... Don't think theres anything wrong.. Just motion sickness.

I don't think there is anything wrong with the boat but in this one she gets sea sick even while we're moving in it.

My wife got sea sick on her very first time out on our 2120. No throwing up but neausau. It was an unusual situation. First trip out and it was around late November. Turns out the Coast Guard was drilling and they had the cutter sitting about 2 to 3 miles out of Beaufort Inlet on a fairly cold day at that. I was a couple of miles offshore heading for the Cape when I look out my starboard window and see the coasties in the rigid with lights on singleing me to stop. I couldn’t believe they were going to board me offshore in nice 3 to 4 swells but they did. During the coarse of our inspection sitting and rocking every which way, she became ill. In 10 years boating in Beaufort it’s the only time I’ve been stopped. Of course it had to be on her first trip. She got sick one other time when I tried to take her to the stream on a less than ideal day. I will tell you that she has gotten used to the pilot house though and now loves it. For the most part as long as she can see land, she is ok. There was something about he pilot house though that took some getting used to. My suggestion to you is to get your girl some “Sea Bands”. They work and it’s not a pill or patch. Between gettin used to it and that, I think you will be ok. We had come out of a CC prior and my wife typically didn’t have any issues. I’ve chartered some Cat Sail boats in the BVI’s etc over the years and she will use the patch or wear sea bands for a few days. Stick it out and good luck.

That's a little more reassuring. We are going to be going back out today for another ride.

I took 4 people from my team at work who had never been on a boat or been fishing and wrote up a blog post for them. I've learned a lot about seasickness as my wife is a person who can't look at a boat without getting sick. We went from Dana Point to San Clemente island and caught a fairly rough ride back. We logged about 150 miles that day and no one felt sick.

Here is something to try:

Follow the Bonine ritual

What is the ritual? A couple of things, anyone who knows me knows I love checklists, here is the checklist for this ritual.

Take one Bonine the night before the trip (at least 12 hours)
Take a second Bonine at least 1 hour before you boat the boat or get near the water. 2 hours is also ok.

*You will notice I say Bonine, in my experience everyone finds Bonine better than Dramamine for two reasons, Dramamine makes you tired and gives you dry mouth. Bonine does the same, but I have witnessed it to a lesser effect.

I think it would be cheaper to buy her her own boat to run rather than divorce lol

Went out today it had a decent chop going used tabs went slow she gets sick feeling. On the way back from the beach tried no tabs more speed pounding away she says oh this is good like your old one lol.

That is funny. I think she will get used to it over time. My wife likes to lean against the rear bulkhead on the bench seat facing forward sometimes. I think the facing forward or sitting on a deck chair facing back helps. Of course, this time of year, sitting in the house is the main reason for the pilot house. Try those “Sea Bands”. You can get them at the drug store or order them from Amazon. They are $10 or less. My wife swears by them. It’s a pressure point thing.

Attachments

• FEB0B0BB-57FF-4279-9B7D-F0E9AB181F32.jpeg
    FEB0B0BB-57FF-4279-9B7D-F0E9AB181F32.jpeg
    151.3 KB · Views: 355
My wife used to get sea sick when we first got the pilothouse. We got her the wristband that looks like a wrist watch and gives a slight electrical pulse which worked for her. After a while she stopped using it and was OK after that. I also noticed if she was busy catching fish it didn't seem to happen. On the other hand if she got sick every time the fishing was slow, she'd be sick a lot. :wink:

Questions for the original poster:

Did you have all the windows open and the door open as well?
Was she on the passenger seat facing the starboard side or tuned to face the bow or standing looking straight ahead?
Is she looking down while you are underway? Is she working on something with her hands while you are cruising?

She has been good the last few rides we have taken. Maybe she just needed some time to get used to it.

When it comes to sea sickness in average sea conditions, lie to her... lie like you have never lied before. It is a risk, but it has paid off for me.

Really the mental part of sea sickness is the worst for those that get sea sick. They are worried about it, thinking about it, then they wonder if they are starting to feel it, then not before long, it hits them. I have found that the more you can convince them that they are NOT going to get sick, the less likely they can convince themselves that they are going to get sick.

I keep some of the bands on my boat... when someone seems like they are turning green I bust them out and give them the hard sell. "Oh these bands are literally the only thing I will ever use on my boat, they work 100% of the time, they are amazing, worth their weight in gold. I have been out chasing tuna in 18' seas and 40 knt winds and felt amazing the second I put one on... put it on your will feel better immediately. See you look much better, the color is coming back to your face, would you like to drink this coke?".

It has worked well for me in the past... when it is a buddy, that is usually their last invite though. You don't have that option with your wife. Tell her whatever you need to tell her to make her believe it was something else, and not her that was making her sick... and that you have the cure!

Back