Question!!! Shore Power

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Keith FDNY

Reaction score
Just a question what is the Benfit of having a shore to boat power hookup?Is it a good thing to have?or is it just a waste of $$$ to do!!!

To me it’s a personal decision.

I don’t have shore power setup and don’t want, need, nor care for it. You see, I keep my boat out on a mooring and when I ‘get away’ on my boat, I want to be away from others, so I’m more likely to drop anchor in a secluded spot somewhere. I'm not anti-social, but my boating is my relief from 'life' and is my way of life. Often I'll join other boats for raft-ups or docking at slips for Holiday events, but I guess I prefer to 'rough' it.

One season I slept on the boat every weekend from June through the beginning of September. I have equipped my boat to be a somewhat live-aboard for 2-3 days at a time and I do fine with propane, inverter, DC, and solar-powered devices. Or, I simply do without.

I fully realize I am the exception ...

I agree with Dale about it being a personal decision, especially on a mooring. Probably the best candidate for shore power is when you are in a slip and have a need for AC power on a regular basis when you are gone. Maybe for bilge heaters in an inboard boat in cold weather, maybe to run an air conditioner in hot weather at the dock, not a big load but to power a good battery charger or a small refrigerator, to keep recirculating water in a tank on board, etc. If you have AC equipment you will also need a fuse box and a breakers to make it all safe. You can also install AC electrical outlets in and out of the boat to plug in AC tools, shop vacs, etc.

So if you have big electrical loads at the dock (air conditioner) or medium loads for a number of days at the dock then you might consider it instead of a good heavy extension cord.

Inverters are a great way to get AC from batteries and avoid the shore power installation so long as you keep the batteries charged. Then you can have the use of a small microwave unit with intermittent use and other AC equipment can be operated for short durations.

I doubt that shore power would mean much in resale and you need a shore power cable to a box on the dock, the shore power receptacle on the boat as well as a breaker box (usually with a volt meter built in) and and AC wiring.

So good extension cords at the dock or inverters anywhere sure are simple solutions for most of us.........................Pete

On these size boats, I think its personal choice. I'm actually spending the $$ and hooking it up for one main reason ... because I want air conditioning for those hot humid nights that I do sleep on the boat.

Keith FDNY":20kskjx9 said:
Just a question what is the Benfit of having a shore to boat power hookup?Is it a good thing to have?or is it just a waste of $$$ to do!!!

It can be an expensive project. However if you want a simple hookup to - let’s assume– charge your batteries, the electrical connectors are relatively inexpensive.

I'm an example of a convert. I was on a mooring through 2002 when my harbor added slips. I signed up and got in the first year.

I had shorepower added to a '96 2530 that winter and used it from 2003 on. I'm still on a slip.

If you like your batteries topped off, this does it. If you want to do work on it with 110V and don't want to run down a dock finding it or using an inverter, then you have it. You need to have a battery charger though.

If you own your own dock it is also an advantage.

Once the weather heats up I pretty much stay on it for the rest of the year that way I keep my fridge stocked. I always have something in it and we unload coolers on the way out to fill it up when we leave.

If you don't want to buy AC/DC TV or the like, you can use cheaper home 110V appliances, etc with shore power.

If you don't have plans for it, then you don't necessarily need it. One thing though, as long as power stays on and bilge pumps function, you won't drain a battery for a time when a pump had to run a lot for some reason.

Some people only use shorepower when they are at the dock. Some leave them turned on when they go home. There are all kinds of people.

Dana

Back