questions about used 2520 XL

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sandytows

Reaction score
I am looking at a used 2002 2520 xl with 225 yamaha on bracket. How do I know the deadrise of this boat? and approximate performance (top end/cruise)? The engine has a 25" shaft.
I have a 1997 2520 with the 14deg deadrise and twin Honda 130s in a notched transom. I love the boat, but it pounds bad. would this newer boat be a better ride?

Thank for your help!
Sandy

I would be guessing cruz would be 26 to 28 and wot at 35 .. look at the rear of the boat at the very bottom if it goes from a v to a 8 to 10 inch flat where the drain is .. Then you have a deep v. I have a deep v and love the ride , but in a 4 to 5 I really don't think any boat rides like a car in this size group

sandytows":tbdmidi1 said:
I am looking at a used 2002 2520 xl with 225 yamaha on bracket. How do I know the deadrise of this boat? and approximate performance (top end/cruise)? The engine has a 25" shaft.
I have a 1997 2520 with the 14deg deadrise and twin Honda 130s in a notched transom. I love the boat, but it pounds bad. would this newer boat be a better ride?

Thank for your help!
Sandy
I went from a 2000 2520PH with a 225 Ox 66 Yamaha with a 14 degree deadrise at the transom which was notched, to a 2004XL with a 225F on the bracket. The ride is alittle better probably mostly due to the fact it is considerably heavier and XL is 16 degree vs. 14 degree. If the boat you're looking at doesn't say XLD on the side it's 16 degree not 21. I personally would not make the change to the XL strictly on the basis that it rides better. My XL cruises at 45-4600RPMs and depending on conditions will give me 22-24knots getting slightly better than 2mpg. Wide open at 5500-5600 I'll get 33 knots. If you like the idea of the full transom and brackett and additional seating the XL might be worth it. However, as much as I love my boat it will pound in a tight chop when in a head sea. I would consider an XLD myself. I'd also highly recommend going for a ride on a choppy day before buying. Good luck and take your time deciding. There are alot of good deals on used boats now.

Stone Buster,
Thanks for the info. My current boat is approaching repower time and with nearly 8000 hours on the hull it is pretty tired and Im not sure I want to invest the 20k in a repower of a boat of its age. I like the 4 seat setup of the 2002 XL versus the 2 interior seat of my current boat.
I would prefer a notched transom cause the overall length is shorter, but I am ok with a bracket.

Hello,
I am looking at a similar boat. May I ask where yours is located? I do lot of 25 mile runs to the fishing grounds and in the North East the weather turns on a dime. I don't want to pound so am now considering a XLD 21 degree hull.

Thanks,

Nick

I took the 2520XL for a sea trial on a choppy day and it does ride alot better than my current 2520SC.
It still is not an "offshrore" boat it the sense of a deep V, but it handles bay chop alot better.
Dont get me wrong I have been way out in bad weather in my 2520SC and never felt unsafe, the beamy hull makes for a very stable ride, but the pounding gets old fast.
The 2520 I looked at has a 225Yami 4 stroke with a 17"P wheel. it turns 5300WOT and does about 29 knots. This seems over-propped to me. I was thinking a 15"P would get me more revs and about the same speed. Thoughts?

Based on what you state, I agree that a 15" prop would give you better performance.

I would look at a Merc Rev 4, mirage plus, or Enertia or a Powertech OFS or OFX 15.25x15

I have a 2004 2520 XL with a 2003 225XL.

The WOT of 5300 is the standard overprop combo. Why they do it I have no idea. After a couple of props I went with a Rev 4 and have a WOT of about 5900. My standard cruise is about 23-24 around 4700 rpm getting about 2.5 mpg lightly loaded.

A couple of things to consider with the F 225 of that year. There is a corrosion issue with the exhaust that is well documented on THT. It happens sometimes and does not seem to be directely related to the number of hours on the engine. Mine has had no problems. It is not practical to check for it. Symptoms would be an overheat alarm after prolonged idle. If it were to happen it would cost about 3500 to fix. To me this is not a deal breaker in any way.... just factor in that possibility.

I've just ordered a low pressure fuel pump (450) as I've developed a problem with stalling after prolonged idle... that is the only problem in 680 hours.

The hull XL is great of course. If I was buying a replacement today I'd get a 250 or 300 Yamaha. If I did more offshore fishing I'd get the XLD with a V6 300 or twin 200's.

Back