Questions from prospective first time owner.

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Strommen95

Reaction score
Hey, I apologize up front about what's likely some stupid questions. I worked on a ferry for a few years, have a 100 tons inland upgrade and am an avid fishermen hence wanting a Parker. Unfortunately most of my experience is on 6 packs and party boats. So I have a lot of experience on the water but very little with private boating which seems to be a rare anomaly in the northeast. Most guys on 6 packs are former boat owners. I have narrowed down that my dream boat would be a Parker Sports Cabin and love the simplicity/barebones nature they offer. Kind of similar to my Jeep Wrangler. Having a cabin, protection and ample space to fish sounds great. Not to mention I think they're beautiful appearance wise too.

My first question of curiosity is what is the MSRP of brand new 2021-2022 2120 and 2320s? I've heard varying answers of 70-140k. Obviously there'll be a difference between the 2 but a range of 70k seems high even with a difference in options. I know I could call a dealer but am just curious at the moment. Looking to buy in a year, maybe two years from now. I'm a believer in "buy once, cry once." I'm 26 and would like to own this for a very long time.

Secondly, what is the length for a boat that a Marina charges $$$ for docking? What I mean is, isn't a 2320 with a bracket technically 25 or 26 foot instead of 23? A 2520 is really 28 or so? If my thinking is correct, would the marina charge for the extra space of the bracket/engine or is the hull itself only being measured? It looks to me like the 2120 is a true 21' without the bracket but all the 2320's I see have a bracket. The 21' is all the boat I need but could probably afford an extra 15k or so for the 23. I'd imagine the ride is fairly better too.

Third, if you were going to do over your brand new Parker purchase against, what would you differently? What options do you wish you bought or never got? The only thing I know for certain is I'd want the most HP relative to the hull I'll be purchasing.

Thanks.

Make sure you get on one and do some sea trials, if your are in the Northern NJ/NYC area - I would be more than happy to take you out in my 2021 2320. These boats are different than their bigger brethren.

They are not cheap, with my 2320 we were pretty close to the upper bracket you mentioned with extra electronics such as AP. Still consider it a very good value based on my ownership of several boats over the last 20+ years.

They are long... Mine is 31ft LOA, and barely fits in a 30' dock (wet slip). I tend to back into the slip and my pulpit sticks out considerably, I leave less than 2ft of space between the dock and the raised motor.

Fantastic boats, overall.

--

I agree with Swat and take him up on that nice offer he presented. You definitely have to go out in a few to determine what you want/like. Also, there are some nice, well cared for used Parkers that become available here and there.

I would say in the current market you are closer to the upper price range depending on accessories and a trailer. Coming from a cruising boat with all the bells and whistles I kept my Parker as simple as possible. I did have a Chartplotter, Radar, VHF and radio installed along with other typical Parker add on's like rocket launcher, Shock absorber seats etc. I have a 2520. The ride with a modified V can be very bumpy at high speeds. I have not been on a deep V so I do not know how much of an improvement that would be. However I took the modified V because it is a stable platform for drifting. Basically, pick your poison.
As far as slip costs. My experience has been that some marinas will charge based on overall length from Anchor to back of moter when tilted up. Others are less critical and charge based on specs. Others have a minimum length regardless if boat is smaller. Just ask the marina.

Hey, I apologize up front about what's likely some stupid questions. I worked on a ferry for a few years, have a 100 tons inland upgrade and am an avid fishermen hence wanting a Parker. Unfortunately most of my experience is on 6 packs and party boats. So I have a lot of experience on the water but very little with private boating which seems to be a rare anomaly in the northeast. Most guys on 6 packs are former boat owners. I have narrowed down that my dream boat would be a Parker Sports Cabin and love the simplicity/barebones nature they offer. Kind of similar to my Jeep Wrangler. Having a cabin, protection and ample space to fish sounds great. Not to mention I think they're beautiful appearance wise too.

My first question of curiosity is what is the MSRP of brand new 2021-2022 2120 and 2320s? I've heard varying answers of 70-140k. Obviously there'll be a difference between the 2 but a range of 70k seems high even with a difference in options. I know I could call a dealer but am just curious at the moment. Looking to buy in a year, maybe two years from now. I'm a believer in "buy once, cry once." I'm 26 and would like to own this for a very long time.

Secondly, what is the length for a boat that a Marina charges $$$ for docking? What I mean is, isn't a 2320 with a bracket technically 25 or 26 foot instead of 23? A 2520 is really 28 or so? If my thinking is correct, would the marina charge for the extra space of the bracket/engine or is the hull itself only being measured? It looks to me like the 2120 is a true 21' without the bracket but all the 2320's I see have a bracket. The 21' is all the boat I need but could probably afford an extra 15k or so for the 23. I'd imagine the ride is fairly better too.

Third, if you were going to do over your brand new Parker purchase against, what would you differently? What options do you wish you bought or never got? The only thing I know for certain is I'd want the most HP relative to the hull I'll be purchasing.

Thanks.
Hi Strommen95, some input on what we see marinas charging. This is what I've seen 'lately' in our part of NC, so it will vary with the individual marina's locations and policies; (What I say here has changed dramatically over the past couple decades).
For 'Transient' slips, most recently we've seen marina's, where the boats are docked 'side-to', charge by full-length (as in, how much horizontal space are you using up; for example, our Parker 2520, is charged for 33 feet'). Some of those with 'slips' seem to be more lenient, as it does not matter as much to them what length you are, if you fit in the slip; you're still only taking up the space of that one slip. For those, our 2520 is charged for 25 feet. Still, some will still charge for LOA (Length Over All), and not LOD (Length On Deck). LOD is usually the 'official' length when dealing with insurance providers, USCG designations and Documentation)...
For full-time slip rental I have seen the prices around here plummet the past couple decades. The marinas in our area are begging for boats; some of them are at 5%-10% occupancy. In the 1990's there were year-long 'waiting lists' to get a slip, and we were paying $350/month (1990's dollars!) for a slip at McCotters Marina; 35' boat. 41' LOA, and it was covered slip. Today, you can get a slip right next to there, at a marina in well-protected Broad Creek, off the Pamlico River for $100.00 a month; and that includes power and water.... That is the norm I've seen in this part of eastern NC. (Not likely the same in the Morehead/Beaufort/Wilmington area)....
The larger-boat pleasure-cruising population has all but disappeared around here. The marinas are begging for boats. A marina in Bath NC looks like it is at 70% occupancy. Most of those boats are abandoned, and not paying rent. The marina in Pungo Creek is at 5% occupancy. If you asked, they might pay YOU to keep your boat there!

Hi Strommen95, some input on what we see marinas charging. This is what I've seen 'lately' in our part of NC, so it will vary with the individual marina's locations and policies; (What I say here has changed dramatically over the past couple decades).
For 'Transient' slips, most recently we've seen marina's, where the boats are docked 'side-to', charge by full-length (as in, how much horizontal space are you using up; for example, our Parker 2520, is charged for 33 feet'). Some of those with 'slips' seem to be more lenient, as it does not matter as much to them what length you are, if you fit in the slip; you're still only taking up the space of that one slip. For those, our 2520 is charged for 25 feet. Still, some will still charge for LOA (Length Over All), and not LOD (Length On Deck). LOD is usually the 'official' length when dealing with insurance providers, USCG designations and Documentation)...
For full-time slip rental I have seen the prices around here plummet the past couple decades. The marinas in our area are begging for boats; some of them are at 5%-10% occupancy. In the 1990's there were year-long 'waiting lists' to get a slip, and we were paying $350/month (1990's dollars!) for a slip at McCotters Marina; 35' boat. 41' LOA, and it was covered slip. Today, you can get a slip right next to there, at a marina in well-protected Broad Creek, off the Pamlico River for $100.00 a month; and that includes power and water.... That is the norm I've seen in this part of eastern NC. (Not likely the same in the Morehead/Beaufort/Wilmington area)....
The larger-boat pleasure-cruising population has all but disappeared around here. The marinas are begging for boats. A marina in Bath NC looks like it is at 70% occupancy. Most of those boats are abandoned, and not paying rent. The marina in Pungo Creek is at 5% occupancy. If you asked, they might pay YOU to keep your boat there!
Note to self:
Consider moving to NC!!!

--

It sounds like you are in it for the long haul so the extra length and sea worthiness of a 2320 would be beneficial. That extra $ averaged out over 20 years will be negligible and since these boats hold their value you will be in good shape. I started with a 18Ft Robalo center console which was fine while single, get married, throw in a couple kids and the pilot house becomes invaluable for a young family. Happy boating. Cheers, Kadman

As you stated go max hp on the hull.

I built my 2320 as a purpose built hard core fishing machine.

I have a 15 rocket launcher rod holder, 8 on the gunnels and 3 my bait tank. Yes I can hold 26 rods, gaffs, nets or what ever (not including the 2 under the gunnel on each side.

50 gallon bait tank. That can hold 2-3 scoops of anchovies.

2 each MFD
Garmin 1040 xs
Garmin 8620 xsv

2 each transducers
B175M
TM185HW

Reactor 40 Aupilot with v2 pump.

my cabin is modified.

ditched the bench seat and added a forward facing seapension seat.

seaspension captain chair

upgraded 12x18 trim tabs

Yamaha 300 with permatrim

4 blade ocean prop for heavy tuna loads.

lots of ways to build Parker’s how you want them. Ask questions and learn from all the awesome parker owners. Lots of guys helped me. I’m always willing to pass info along or help as I can.

If you can afford it get the 2320 with a 300. I have a 2016 2320 with a 300 and i love it. When I am loaded down the extra power of the 300 is needed. As others have said the closed transom and bracket make a huge difference. It’s solid as a rock. I have always felt safe in it even when it gets rough or a storm rolls by. Great for hardcore fishing, diving and cruising as well. You do feel the waves more since you drive up front but not a big deal for me since the back deck has tons of room. Hope this helps.

If you can afford it get the 2320 with a 300. I have a 2016 2320 with a 300 and i love it. When I am loaded down the extra power of the 300 is needed. As others have said the closed transom and bracket make a huge difference. It’s solid as a rock. I have always felt safe in it even when it gets rough or a storm rolls by. Great for hardcore fishing, diving and cruising as well. You do feel the waves more since you drive up front but not a big deal for me since the back deck has tons of room. Hope this helps.
Agree!... We have the 2520 with the Yamaha 300, and it is 'ok'/adequate for our use. The 300 on a 2320 is amazing; you'll be coasting most of the time, but when you need/want that extra oomph! the 300 will shine; I'd say go with the 300...

Agree!... We have the 2520 with the Yamaha 300, and it is 'ok'/adequate for our use. The 300 on a 2320 is amazing; you'll be coasting most of the time, but when you need/want that extra oomph! the 300 will shine; I'd say go with the 300...
Searched for years for a used 23DVCC before I found one. I repowered it initially with a 250 Yamaha now it has a 300, rarely need the extra speed. I get many compliments on the the Parker and several people want to buy it. Better than my Classic Seacraft, and my Pursuit.

I have a 2021 2320 with a 250. The 300 gets good reviews and probably nice to have. The other day was flat and with the 250 with 3 onboard and 3/4 tank we got it up to 48mph. It planes in about 3 seconds. Never any thought whatsoever that it’s underpowered with a 250.

Your sitting pretty far forward though, it’s not a speedboat (it’s a tank though - feels waaay bigger than 23 and crazy solid). Most of the time your not going to want to go over 30. If I had no budget I’d go with the 300, but if between other options vs the 300 I’d take the other options first. I just don’t see any practical reason for a 300 other than “it’s only a few k more”

The length is 31’ I told my marina it was 23 with bracket and pulpit. They put me in a “25 foot” slip and charge for a 25.

I’ve owned several boats ranging from walk arounds, to center consoles, to express cruisers. The Parker seems the most solid, but less frills than a cruiser. Louder (in the cabin) and you sit more forward than a center console so you bounce more - on the other hand though when you do hit big waves, a similar sized CC felt like it would flip over or launch and fly away, where as the Parker just barrels through it. Not as nice a ride as a 30’ cruiser but can go anywhere I’d go with a 30’ cruiser albeit a bit slower at times. Also the CC sucked in New England always cold, the Parker you close or open door/ and windows until the right temp never too hot or cold surprisingly. Even in the summer opening the windows keeps it cooler than outside.

If I did it again, same size I would either get a Parker of a Stiegercraft. Around here the Steiger dealers were pretty uppity though. It’s not a friggin Hinkely get over yourselves. Nice boats though, I didn’t see enough of a difference to sway me to sway me to deal with that crap.

For pricing you should be able to get 75%-80% MSRP. There is a big range of options though. So maybe 60-75 for a 2120 or 80-95 for a 2320 with typical options, but possibly up to 100 or so for a completely loaded 2320. Again though also depends on the dealer. The tool at a certain big incorporated “boat” dealer in CT played games for a week before giving me a quote of basically MSRP. Another dealers in another state cut through BS and gave me a quote 25% less right off the bat. Definitely look around.

Purchased a 2120 last year and I have zero complaints. Not the most stable boat in the chop, but absolutely gets the job done. I ran it to Catalina Island, out of Newport Beach last week, in 2' swells and the ride was not bad at all. Obviously I picked the right day to go. This is my first Parker and the reputation of these boats has not disappointed.

I have a 2021 2320 with a 250. The 300 gets good reviews and probably nice to have. The other day was flat and with the 250 with 3 onboard and 3/4 tank we got it up to 48mph. It planes in about 3 seconds. Never any thought whatsoever that it’s underpowered with a 250.

Your sitting pretty far forward though, it’s not a speedboat (it’s a tank though - feels waaay bigger than 23 and crazy solid). Most of the time your not going to want to go over 30. If I had no budget I’d go with the 300, but if between other options vs the 300 I’d take the other options first. I just don’t see any practical reason for a 300 other than “it’s only a few k more”

The length is 31’ I told my marina it was 23 with bracket and pulpit. They put me in a “25 foot” slip and charge for a 25.

I’ve owned several boats ranging from walk arounds, to center consoles, to express cruisers. The Parker seems the most solid, but less frills than a cruiser. Louder (in the cabin) and you sit more forward than a center console so you bounce more - on the other hand though when you do hit big waves, a similar sized CC felt like it would flip over or launch and fly away, where as the Parker just barrels through it. Not as nice a ride as a 30’ cruiser but can go anywhere I’d go with a 30’ cruiser albeit a bit slower at times. Also the CC sucked in New England always cold, the Parker you close or open door/ and windows until the right temp never too hot or cold surprisingly. Even in the summer opening the windows keeps it cooler than outside.

If I did it again, same size I would either get a Parker of a Stiegercraft. Around here the Steiger dealers were pretty uppity though. It’s not a friggin Hinkely get over yourselves. Nice boats though, I didn’t see enough of a difference to sway me to sway me to deal with that crap.

For pricing you should be able to get 75%-80% MSRP. There is a big range of options though. So maybe 60-75 for a 2120 or 80-95 for a 2320 with typical options, but possibly up to 100 or so for a completely loaded 2320. Again though also depends on the dealer. The tool at a certain big incorporated “boat” dealer in CT played games for a week before giving me a quote of basically MSRP. Another dealers in another state cut through BS and gave me a quote 25% less right off the bat. Definitely look around.

There's lots of good information in this thread. I did speak to a dealer out of curiosity and learned that on the 2120 for example, the 200 is 5k additional over the 150. I have done quite a bit of a driving in my young life and can honestly say I'm not a speed demon. I rarely go above the limit and typically am in the right lane. I know with a boat I'm even less hard-footed than in a car. As you say, I'm looking for a tank that's stable and feels solid. While I would go for the higher HP engine if I have the choice, I don't think a base engine would keep me from purchasing a boat that's available in stock. If you don't mind me asking, which dealer quoted 25% less off the bat? Feel free to PM if preferred. I'm surprised about that given a 2021 model must've been bought during the crazy COVID pricing of boats over recent memory.

I appreciate any and all offers to check your Parker out in person. I'm a bit busy at the moment in real life and honestly feel a little awkward intruding in on somebodies personal space but that's very nice to offer. Thank you very much.

Back