Quick Battery Question

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grouperjim

Reaction score
I have my original Interstate batteries which are now more than 3 years old. They have the original wiring configuration to rotary switch 1, 2, both , and OFF. It is time to think about a some replacements.

Instead of replacing both at the same i was thinking about an AGM for now and replace the other in time.

Anyone aware of any issues with a flooded cell and AGM attached to the same rotary switch?

I know you can't wire dissimilar batteries in parallel, but that is not the case here. The only time they could be linked is if "BOTH" on the rotary is selected. Any thoughts?

Honestly? 3-years isn't the end ... if properly cared for ...

And I'll offend some here who use gel batteries, but UNLESS using gel-type batteries in a serious offshore boat, IMHO such batteries are a waste of good money, to me. But I'm a cheap bastard, but I cherish VALUE foremost in anything I buy (hey - that's why I own a Parker!) and a wet cell battery will give you the same service length or so for 1/4tr to 1/3rd the price of a gel battery.

If I had a true deep-V hull that was heading many, many miles offshore every weekend ... then yes, you bet I'd run newer gel technology batteries.

FWIW I buy dual-purpose combo starting/deep cycle G27 or G29 batteries from Wal-Mart for the 4 boats I'll be running/maintaining this season and they're also used in the 5 or 6 other boats my brothers are running. They are made by Johnson Controls, the same company who owns and makes Optima gel batteries.

You should also get more than 3-years out of yours. I rotate a new one in every 2-years and once 4-years of use in the big boat, they'll go into one of my pull-start skiffs for use as a bilge pump/rainwater battery. I never get less than 5-6 years out of them and can only think of 1 I've replaced that was only 5-years old. The others get replaced as I run out of room to store them !!!! so I trade them in. Big boat gets a new battery ... one of the skiffs get an older one (4-years use).

Works for me and many other New Englanders up here who I've talked into running the same rotation schedule.

DaleH":34apixjv said:
Honestly? ............. heading many, many miles offshore every weekend ... then yes, you bet I'd run newer gel technology batteries.

FWIW I buy dual-purpose combo starting/deep cycle G27 or G29 batteries from Wal-Mart f..........

You should also get more than 3-years out of yours. I rotate a new one ..............

far offshore .....that's me

Walmart........i'm there tomorrow

rotate.....precisely. I am rotating one in....makes sense. although well cared for, on my last over night trip, my low battery warning came on a little earlier than usual so i know my number 1 batt is starting to get a little tired.

oh yeah, back the question.....is it OK to add an AGM next to the flooded cell?

grouperjim":nl8s944u said:

Yes, 12.6 VDC is 12.6 VDC.

Thanks Dale. You see.......every once in a while i do actually ask a question.......thanks for being there for me. i go forth in confidence now. :) 8)

grouperjim":zgnrz598 said:
The only issue you may run into is if you have an integrated charger. AGMs need to be charged differently than regular wet-cell batteries, and your charger may not be able to tell the difference, or not have a setting for AGMs. Call the MFR (if you have a charger) and ask them.

The other thing to remember is that there are 3 different technologies widely available: wet-cell/flooded-cell, AGM, and gel batteries. You are obviously familiar with the wet and AGM (Optima being the most commonly recognized AGM mfr), but gel-cells have their places as well. They are usually a little less expensive than AGMs, and have most of the benefits. Call your local industrial battery center, and ask for their prices on all 3. We're still using wet-cells, but I'm going to only buy Optima Blue-tops from now on. We have too many incidents where they tip over and leak.

:edit: Here's a good page about batteries in general:
http://www.vonwentzel.net/Battery/index.html
And AGM/Flooded/Gel:
http://www.vonwentzel.net/Battery/01.Type/index.html

sparky":1z0145t0 said:
The only issue you may run into is if you have an integrated charger.

The other thing to remember is that there are 3 different technologies widely available: wet-cell/flooded-cell, AGM, and gel batteries. You are obviously familiar with the wet and AGM (Optima being the most commonly recognized AGM mfr), but gel-cells have their places as well. They are usually a little less expensive than AGMs, and have most of the benefits. Call your local industrial battery center, and ask for their prices on all 3. We're still using wet-cells, but I'm going to only buy Optima Blue-tops from now on. We have too many incidents where they tip over and leak.

Good info, thanks for adding those details there Sparky!

I still have one battery that is 6 years old and it still takes a charge but only holds it for short periods of time (2or3 days). I have a Powerwinch RC30 on my Venture alluminum trailer and I have a battery box installed on the trailer to use when I take the boat out of the water in the fall. I charge it and use it and then it goes on the shelf for the next use at which time it gets a charge. I replace one battery at a time when I do change them out and I try to use them till they are no longer any good.

Latest posts

Back