Racor 2-Micron Filters

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TomS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Anyone have experience with the new Racor 2 Micron filters? After seeing a post on THT from a Racor employee, I emailed them for more information.

I was sent the attached datasheet and told that the S3220SUL was a direct replacement for the S3213 filter I am currently using. In a subsequent email I asked what the max flow rate was (60 gph) and maximum pressure drop (<1 PSI initially = ~2" Hg).

I also came across a review of the major fuel filters on the market (also attached) which gave some insight into how much pressure is required to pull fuel through the 10 micron filters. Those stats appear to match up with the new 2 micron filters the way I interpret them.

Looks interesting.. especially if this means I don't have to get in and replace/clean the VST filter every 100hrs.

-- Tom

Attachments

• fuelFilter.pdf
    908.5 KB · Views: 67
  • racor.pdf
    68.3 KB · Views: 52
Tom,

We sold a few to a customer that was making a fuel polisher. We also sold some to a customer out west that was going to do some fuel vacuum tests on his F150 between a 3213(10mic) and a 3220SUL(2mic). Never did hear back from him.

In my mind the 2 mic will clog/restrict much faster just from normal use then a 10 would. This would raise the vacuum required to pull fuel from the tank to the fuel pumps.

Do you have a vac gauge you can install in the fuel line under the cowl? If so..... I would give you a 2mic 3220 mic to test the differences. Maybe once a month or so? Just a thought.

Andy

I have been running Racor 2 micron filter/seps for about 9 month and ~100 hours. I have a pair that are plumbed so that if one clogs I can manually switch to the other while under way. I have not had to do this yet.

This system was set up after experiencing many thousands of dollars worth of issues with E-10/MTBE. So far so good.

Jeff

Peregrine":bvrxr3eo said:
I have been running Racor 2 micron filter/seps for about 9 month and ~100 hours. I have a pair that are plumbed so that if one clogs I can manually switch to the other while under way. I have not had to do this yet.

This system was set up after experiencing many thousands of dollars worth of issues with E-10/MTBE. So far so good.

Jeff

I am also having issues with clogging of the Hi Volume Pump Fuel Filter. I have a 2005 2320 SL with 250 Yami 4 stroke and the boat is in the shop for the second time in less than 2 yrs for the Hi Volume Pump problem. I bought the boat new so I wouldn't have to deal with this type of a problem. The dealer is claiming fuel contamination but I run the same fuel in my truck with no problems. I change the other filters out regularly as well. One thing that the dealer did was to immediately put a clamshell cover over the overflow vent on the outside of the boat. I suspect that this is where any contamination is coming from. Shouldn't the water seperator and the fuel filters take care of this? Every time I change the fuel filter it looks to be clean with no residue but I change them anyway. Not sure what to do as Yamaha is claiming this issue is not covered by warranty and Parker will not claim it is a Parker problem either. In the meantime my boat is sitting at the dealer and the original diagnosis did not fix the problem. Yamaha did offer to cover the parts but not the labor. I am now looking at more labor costs as well as possibly now paying for parts. Sorry for the rant but has anyone experienced anything similar?

Thanks to everyone for the info.

Andy, I don't currently have a vac. pressure gauge. Are you talking about the mity-vac type that they show in the Yamaha shop manual, or something that would be semi-permanent and could be left attached with the cowling on?

BTW- I just sent your loaner crimp tool back the other day, you should get it this week, and thanks again!

Jeff - what type of engine do you have? Were your original issues due to mixing of MTBE and E-10 fuel?

Its4Reels - I am just guessing here, but I don't think the 2 micron will offer any better fuel/water separation performance than the 10 micron. So I don't think this filter will address your problems, assuming your issue is due to water contamination in the fuel - either from the fuel vent, or at the tank. Are you running Ethanol fuel?

The new 2 micron should do a better job of filtering out the smaller contaminants and preventing them from clogging up the fine mesh filters at the VST tank (not sure if your four stroke has one) and the fuel injectors.

The only thing I'm unsure about is as Andy mentioned, how quickly will they clog up under 'normal' use and what happens when they get dirty?

Still, I'd much rather spin on a new filter than have to dissect the VST tank every 100 hours, which is when I start to notice performance drop off a bit from the VST filter getting clogged.

-- Tom

I have a 2002 2320 with an F225.

The problems started with the talcum powder like susbtance apparently stemming from MTBE to E-10 switch over. They continued with the "cleaning" properties of the E-10 picking up all the cr*p in the fuel distribution system-tanker truck, gas station, boat, etc.

Anywhere from 20 to 100 hour intervals would result in clogged VST screen and ultimately clogged injectors.

To date I have polished fuel three times, once throwing away (properly) ~100 gallons and leaving the tank dry for a pure E-10 fillup. The VST filter has been cleaned numerous times, and the injectors have been replaced. Oh yes, the clam shell went over the vent as one of the first items-there was water in the tank every time the fuel was polished and it was fresh water. Had to be either from the gas station, condensate or from washing the boat as it has never been run in fresh water. The long version of the saga can be found doing a search here......

Anyway, my fuel polish guy suggested running only Super grade fuel and topping off after every use as his customers that have done that no longer have an issue. This has been my practice since last Fall and in conjunction with the 2 micron filter, so far so good.

4 Reels-who is your servicing dealer?

Jeff

Back