Racor filter

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trashman

Reaction score
I know we had a post about it somewhere but I cannot find it. It looks like I will need to install a Racor filter. Megabyte also mentioned one but I think he said that there were 2 different once. One that you can see thru if there is a water separation and can be drained. Do you get it from a local dealer or buy it where you get your ring free. thanks

i called Tri State marine and it looks like that the new engines have the 10 micron filters build in. thanks for the help. trashman

trashman":20uk5al6 said:
i called Tri State marine and it looks like that the new engines have the 10 micron filters build in.
You had best check that ... those might be more for contaminents than fuel/water separation per se. If it isn't a 'big can' ... it sure ain't gonna hold up to potential water intrusion for very long ...

yes i agree i will have to double check, susqking mentioned a place close to us that also handles yamahas. I will go there and talk to the service manager. I was also under the impression that you has to use the Racor filters in addition to anything else. trashman

You bought a new boat, right?

You should have a Yamaha water separator on the boat now, it should look like a large blue oil filter. It is not a Racor brand but is a 10 micron Yamaha filter. Replace it once a year and you should be good. Keep an extra on the boat just in case.

yes, it is a new one I will look for that separator and do some reading on it. Got a boat load of literature with the boat. thnaks guys trashman

Big difference between "should be good" and being good. I like to look at my bowl and SEE if there is any water, then be able to drain any that has accumulated without taking the whole damn filter off.

I may be wrong, but I believe Racor filters fit onto the fitting that the blue Yamaha filters are on, so it's an easy swap.

I started out buying a couple of the Yamaha "can" style spin-on separators, but decided last second to use the Racor S3213 with clear bowl on bottom. It's only for an 1801 with outboard use, but still in an enclosed location. I first searched the Boat Builder's Handbook 33 CFR publication (revised Nov. 2003) Subpart "J" (fuel systems), but could not find anything about filters in enclosed locations. The only info I could find was 18.570 reffering to the mounting of filters. There was also info on fuel-hose clamps, allowable leak-rate, etc. At any rate, I can change it back to the can style at any time. Being a new owner, it was important for me to know how much condensation to expect from a cold aluminum tank with ethanol gas. Once I determine an average condensation, then barring a bad batch of gas, I can go back to the solid can filters if determined to be against regulations.

My question is, do I have to fill the filter with fuel first (like the instruction recommend) prior to spinning on a new Racor, or can I get by with the primer bulb only, on a new & empty filter?

I've done it both ways and not had a problem either way. Most people
will recommend filling the filter up about 3/4 or so...

I've also got a 1801 and will be getting a new stainless steel head piece
and the racor 3213 with the clear bowl and will mount it in the bilge where
the one I have now is located... I ordered mine from andy at shipyard
marine over on the hull truth site,,,,,should be here tuesday,,

I also get my boat back on tuesday with the new top and curtains..
I'll have to post some pictures of the top and curtains before I stick
it in dry storage,,,,

Glad you got your curtains done in time for the season Howard. I hope they work out for you. As far as the clear bowl, I know there has been a lot of discussion about possible regulations pertaining to using them in enclosed locations. However, I could not find any such articles, not to say they don't exist. But with the ethanol and condensation scare, I just had to see for myself just how much water getting trapped in the filter. Especially this early in the season with the tanks being so cold, and the spring rains increasing the humidity. This time of year may be worse-case for condensation.

Back